Nvidia demonstrating the next gen

DaveBaumann said:
FYI, AFAIK NV35 is about the same die size as NV30, despite an increase in complexity.
And it's cooler? :?:

Well, i really hope for them that the NV35 reallly rocks otherwise, it's a dead year for Nvidia.

MuFu: I've recently also recieved confirmation that the NV35 has taped-out in Early January. Didn't know the exact date however, only knew it was before the 14th...
My source probably isn't as reliable as yours, but he did proof that he wasn't inventing things by already giving me a few things which did reveal to be true.
Oh, and he had a NV30 in his hands around early December, too :D ( Too bad he didn't have the time to run benchmarks on it due to his schedule... )

Uttar

surfhurleydude said:
According to MuFu, the NV35 tapped out on January 19th(?). ....

Yeap and thats good to hear. But that is intial tape out. Depending on the bugs they probably will spin it a few more times....

surfhurleydude said:
Maybe so, but it doesn't seem like they're having too many problems if they're showing it already ;)

I don't want to suggest anything here, but you may remember they showed NV30 running in novmeber...

[quote="surfhurleydudeAye, but the ATi/R300/R350 didn't seem as real then as it does now, does it? :D[/quote]

funny the R300 in my PC in November was very real :) And I waited several months for price drops before buying it :p

funny the R300 in my PC in November was very real And I waited several months for price drops before buying it

Actually, I meant the fact that nVidia is growing more and more into a bad situation. Every day that passes, the more bad publicity they get, and the deeper the hole is that they are digging. In november, everyone knew the R350 was coming - but now that it's finally here, everyone can easily see that nVidia is getting their ass whipped. They have to do something very soon, or else...

DaveBaumann said:
surfhurleydude said:
Maybe so, but it doesn't seem like they're having too many problems if they're showing it already ;)

I don't want to suggest anything here, but you may remember they showed NV30 running in novmeber...

Oh, come on, that's just plain WAY too obvious :)
Not like anyone following rumors didn't know that for a while anyway :)

In case anyone didn't figure it out, Dave is hinting at a May-June limited retail avaibility.

Uttar

The NV30 was LAUNCHED in November, not having a tech demo revealed in November. Big difference.

I think one could expect a launch of the NV35 right around the time of the 256 MB DDRII Radeon 9800 in April, with retail availibility in May.

surfhurleydude said:
The NV30 was LAUNCHED in November, not having a tech demo revealed in November. Big difference.

I think one could expect a launch of the NV35 right around the time of the 256 MB DDRII Radeon 9800 in April, with retail availibility in May.

What are you talking about?

nVidia had the GFFX running a demo at Comdex. During the live presentation, a presentation fairly similar to this one in fact.

Also, nVidia is making sure no one considers this to be a paper launch this time. So don't hope for a launch before early May, maybe late April.

Uttar

What are you talking about?

nVidia had the GFFX running a demo at Comdex. During the live presentation, a presentation fairly similar to this one in fact.

Also, nVidia is making sure no one considers this to be a paper launch this time. So don't hope for a launch before early May, maybe late April.

What am I talking about? How can you even consider the Comdex similar to this presentation? At Comdex, the official specs of the retail GeForce FX were released, numerous demos were unveiled. An actual piece of hardware was shown. The official name of the GeForce FX was reveiled. All that was shown here was a demo of "next generation hardware". Yes, they are very similar.

All this talk of Nvidia lowering profits is ridiculous. Have you all forgotten that Nvidia has been overpricing their graphics cards for years. They sold the GF2 Ultra for $500 and some suckers actually paid for it. Even though the GF3 didn't sell for as much as the GF2 Ultra, it was still extremely expensive. The reason I've used ATi cards for the past few generations is because their price/performance ratio is just so much better. As far as I'm concerned, it's about time Nvidia got their prices back into line with reality. Let's just hope this reversal doesn't continue too much so that ATi starts overpricing their cards.

sorry NO FXs

the FX isn't real because it doesn't pass the "available at Fry's test".

sorry NV fan-bots, FX is still a dream...

- SM

Well, by that measure, several ATI products are vaporware as well. Fry's has a shitty product selection, which usually sells near MSRP to boot.

Prices reflect demand. Higher end cards deliver lower price/performance, because you can charge more in that market. (see DCC/Workstation market for a great example) If NVidia wasn't competing with ATI, ATI could have charged $500 for whatever their highest end card was as well.

ATI's prices are not set because they are "nice guys". You should thank your lucky stars that NVidia and ATI are competiting so vigorously. If fanboys get their wish, and NVidia dies, say hello to slower innovation from ATI and increased prices.

DemoCoder said:
Well, by that measure, several ATI products are vaporware as well. Fry's has a shitty product selection, which usually sells near MSRP to boot.

True, but are ANY GFFX products available in retail?

Oompa Loompa said:
If people bought the GF2U in the quantities NVIDIA planned for, then by definition it wasn't overpriced.

With respect to the NV35, according to X-Bit Labs it has 5 million extra transistors (130 million total).

By your definition maybe. :rolleyes:

A lot of people go to McDonalds and all-you-can-eat buffets, that doesn't mean the food they serve isn't pretty bad.

In the United States 30% are overweight and another 30% are obese. That doesn't mean I need to go put on an extra 100 pounds of fat.

I could go on...

Back