EA & Nintendo Partnership 20 (Sports) Game Deal

Goldni

Regular
http://cube.ign.com/articles/388/388234p1.html

Well Miyamoto stated last week that he was "working with EA" about GCN/GBA connectivity and he was'nt lying. This is very good news for GCN owners. Also good for the casual crowd that buys sports games alot.

It's a good sign that EA was willing to do this. I mean they certainly didnt have to. Nintendo must have put up some 'encentives' like major price breaks on GBA carts or GOD production costs. I really like the idea with this. No it's not a breakthru online gaming experience but with Harry Potter GCN/GBA link up and the new Rayman 3 (the most extensive use of linking so far) and FFCC coming up I really am intrigued by the linking up of games. Namely when you can really see some innovative gameplay like EA is talking about here.

Imagine your GBA SP sitting in your lap (playing Madden GCN) with your "play selection" on the screen where others can't see it. Or maybe carrying your GBA with you and designing your own custom plays then uploading them on the "big" Madden game. Portable trading of players or roster changes with other GBA/ GCN players.

There is alot of things that are going thru my mind with this concept. And for EA to have done this it must be some really cool stuff for them to be working with Miyamoto personally.

I thought EA were dropping GC sports support? If dropping support means 20 sports games in one year then hopefully every dev will 'drop' GC support :D

If these 20 games are all sports games then this attempt is futile. The majority of the GCN-userbase doesn't like sports games (myself included) - just look at the sales statistics. This is PS2/XBox stuff.

Imho 3rd party publishers should bring the games to the individual consoles which the respective userbase wants instead of porting everything to every platform and moan about bad sales afterwards. Make the GCN-version of Rayman 3 the top priority while not thinking about doing a GCN-port of Ghost Recon at all for example. People buy a GCN because of Nintendo's games so 3rd parties should bring more Nintendo-ish games to the Cube because that's exactly what the users want. On the other hand people buy an XBox because of games like Halo, Splinter Cell etc. so 3rd parties should deliver similar games here too and don't bother about a "Ty - The Tasmanian Tiger" because that's clearly GCN-stuff.
And the money which publishers save by not doing needless ports could be used to insure that the remaining ports are high quality work. And then everybody is happy. Ok, maybe I'm seeing things a bit too simple there 8)

I'm glad it will include GBA Support, GCN could actually be the best system for sports due to the GBA.

The screen would allow for private play planning, and with the E-reader, it would be great to have Topps and other sports card makers to include support with dotcodes on thier sport cards, offering things like keeping rosters current and such.

I dunno, that entire BA connectivity thing is such a fad, I can't see people seein it and instantly thinking of the gamecube as a better sports system. dreamcast had a similar feature with the VMU's and barely anyone bothered with using that during a sports game. In most sports games, (other than american football) if you're busy looking at your controller, you're gonna get your ass kicked.

I think what usually attracts sports gamers to a specific system is the controller (being good for sports games) and the features the game has. I would be mor einterested in a sports game playing really well online then connecting with a GBA.

VMU really didnt have such features, it was a very tiny screen, and you couldnt really make a handy private interface..

the biggest reason GC fans dont buy sports games, is because, if you check earlier sales many do own the 2002 versions of many of the games, I myself own Madden 2k2, and NHL 2k2, but damned if I am buying 2k3 , being nothing was really done other than change some stats around.. now, Make a game where I can update the rosters by just buying some sports cards, it will sell much better..

Well the controller on the GCn is the best for sports games imo. Wavebird baby!

Make the GCN-version of Rayman 3 the top priority while not thinking about doing a GCN-port of Ghost Recon at all for example.

Looks like that's what Ubi Soft has done. R3 is a 3 week GCN exclusive and the offers the most (and innovative) use of GBA connectivity yet (save for Animal Crossing). Both GCN and GBA versions were released today and are getting some pretty good scores. I'm picking up both tommorrow.

IMO, Nintendo should drop this GCN-GBA connection nonsense. It´s just a huge fad, IMO, that actually affects gamers.
For example, I have absolutely no desire to ever get a GBA. If I want to play a "complete" version of a Nintendo game, I have to get the GBA cart, the link cable, and whatever "optional" accessories Nintendo decides to sent to reatil, like the e-reader.
That was the very reason I couldn´t play Metroid 1 on the TV screen or use the MF suit in MP, which would have added gaming time to it, which now lies unattended on the shelf.
That is why I think Nintendo should offfer games with real bonuses, instead of making users get something they don´t want if they want to test said bonuses.

Almasy, obviously you 'want' the GBA as you have a legitimate reason to get one. And Metroid Fusion is definitely worth buying, even if you don't use it for Metroid Prime's bonuses. :p

GCN/GBA link = not useless. It just hasn't been fully exploited yet. (Animal Crossing was but a taste, I'd say)

BTW, if these EA games also get 'net support.. it's possible that the sagging GCN sports lineup may gain some user appeal.

Tagrineth said:
Almasy, obviously you 'want' the GBA as you have a legitimate reason to get one. And Metroid Fusion is definitely worth buying, even if you don't use it for Metroid Prime's bonuses. :p

Why would I want a machine of 16 bit rehashes? :) I don´t care about MF, but I do want the extras MP is supposed to have (it´d give me an excuse to boot up my GCN, that has been silent for almost a month).

And that´s precisely why I´m not pleased with Nintendo´s practices, I want "complete" games that do not require me to buy several accesories just to play something I could play in an emulator perfectly, but that I´d rather play on the TV.

Almasy said:
Tagrineth said:

Why would I want a machine of 16 bit rehashes? :) I don´t care about MF, but I do want the extras MP is supposed to have (it´d give me an excuse to boot up my GCN, that has been silent for almost a month).

And that´s precisely why I´m not pleased with Nintendo´s practices, I want "complete" games that do not require me to buy several accesories just to play something I could play in an emulator perfectly, but that I´d rather play on the TV.

Uhm, all the games are complete, the GBA only offers bonus's
the Fusion Suit and the Original NES Metroid are Bonus's, they are not something that are expected to be in the original game otherwise.

Almasy said:
IMO, Nintendo should drop this GCN-GBA connection nonsense. It´s just a huge fad, IMO, that actually affects gamers.
For example, I have absolutely no desire to ever get a GBA. If I want to play a "complete" version of a Nintendo game, I have to get the GBA cart, the link cable, and whatever "optional" accessories Nintendo decides to sent to reatil, like the e-reader.

The primary reason of the GC GBA connection is to sell GC to GBA owners. GBA has no need to be helped in its sales.

Rayman 3 is a start.

wazoo said:
Rayman 3 is a start.

And a good start imho. This is the first time the GCN/GBA connection delivers additional gameplay that wouldn't be possible without the connection (like the Metroid-bonusses for example. But you've got to have both Metroid-games anyway, so who cares ;) ) and could be fun. I haven't tried it myself but it definitely sounds interesting and I'll probably get both games because of this (I probably wouldn't buy the GBA-rayman if it weren't for those extra features).

I still can't see EA sports-titles selling better because of this connectivity-stuff but maybe that's just me. I don't like sports games at all (with a few exceptions like Sega Soccer Slam and Beach Spikers).

Why would I want a machine of 16 bit rehashes? I don´t care about MF, but I do want the extras MP is supposed to have (it´d give me an excuse to boot up my GCN, that has been silent for almost a month).

That was the very reason I couldn´t play Metroid 1 on the TV screen or use the MF suit in MP, which would have added gaming time to it, which now lies unattended on the shelf.
That is why I think Nintendo should offfer games with real bonuses, instead of making users get something they don´t want if they want to test said bonuses.

Wait, wait, give me a minute to get this straight. You don't want to play a fantastic new game.... ummm I mean the "16 bit rehash," yet you are pissed off that you can't play a port of an 8 bit game that is a bonus??? Who dictated that Metroid 1 should be included with Metroid Prime for extra added gaming?? Going by that logic, every other developers should have added bonuses to their games. Why single Nintendo out?

:rolleyes:

How many other developers other than Nintendo actually gives you bonuses(Zelda preorder, Metroid 1 in Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, etc...) for buying their games?? Does MS XBOX-Live content download count??..... BUT WAIT A MINUTE, you need to buy XBOX-Live and have broadband to get those bonus :oops: !!!

RaolinDarksbane said:
Why would I want a machine of 16 bit rehashes? I don´t care about MF, but I do want the extras MP is supposed to have (it´d give me an excuse to boot up my GCN, that has been silent for almost a month).

Wait, wait, give me a minute to get this straight. You don't want to play a fantastic new game.... ummm I mean the "16 bit rehash," yet you are pissed off that you can't play a port of an 8 bit game that is a bonus??? Who dictated that Metroid 1 should be included with Metroid Prime for extra added gaming?? Going by that logic, every other developers should have added bonuses to their games. Why single Nintendo out?

:rolleyes:

How many other developers other than Nintendo actually gives you bonuses(Zelda preorder, Metroid 1 in Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, etc...) for buying their games?? Does MS XBOX-Live content download count??..... BUT WAIT A MINUTE, you need to buy XBOX-Live and have broadband to get those bonus :oops: !!!

and they need to actually release them....instead of just saying they will

Back