PSone or PSX/PS-X

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
When I look up info about PlayStation, most people aren't referring to it as PSX anymore. That is how I remember it being referred to, and how all the old mags seem to refer to it. The Wikipedia entry tries to totally disregard/end that nickname. It sorta baffles me.

If I look into my Next Generation mags from '95-97, the PlayStation is always either called by its full name or PSX/PS-X.

It's name was never PSX. It's name was/is Playstation.

People can call it that but it's not the name. Just like people can call Xbox360, Xbox2. But that's not it's name.

More like a code name.

AFAIK it was PSX only in some territories like NA, and The PlayStation, PS1 (later PSone for the slimline version) everywhere else.

Yeah, I remember when us NA kidos called it PSX. But then Sony (gasp!) realeased a PSX named SKU. With the PS2 in the future some called it then PS1, but then Sony release (gasp!) PSone. Grrr! PS is already taken by 'Post Script'. Anyhow, I think if you say PS1 or PS in the context of a console most people understand what you are talking about, especially if you are talking about the PS2 or the SS and N64.

It was never PSX in any region... Magazines and and folks online took to abbreviating the original codename of the project "Play Station-X" to PS-X and eventually PSX. It didn't help that lib headers were littered with psx prefixes...

sonyps35 said:
People can call it that but it's not the name. Just like people can call Xbox360, Xbox2. But that's not it's name.

Actually, I disagree. They came up with the name Xbox 360, because they thought they'd seem inferior to PS3 with Xbox 2. But you can't go straight from Rambo I to Rambo III, without releasing Rambo II in the middle. Thus Xbox 2 is its real name, no matter what name the PR department chose to use. ;)

Urian said:
PS-X---> Project Station X
PSX----> Playstation X ----> Playstation until the launch of PSone.

I never remember seeing it called Playstation X, but PSX was always its abbreviation in magazines, store shelves, 3rd party accessories, etc. I'm sure N64 wasn't an official abbreviation either, but it's what is accepted for the Nintendo 64 and was even used in some commercials.

I always used PSX - still do. When I think PSOne I think of the redesigned version, not the original baby that brought much gaming joy.

Wow, we must all be bored.

Anyway, Nintendo itself refers to the 64 as the N64

http://www.nintendo.com/systemsclassic?type=n64

Super Mario 64 and Super Smash Bros helped sell over 32 million N64 systems worldwide.

As far as I know, Sony has never refered to the PS as the PSX, and have only refered to the PSX as the PSX.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press_Archive/200310/03-1007E/

Tokyo, October 7, 2003 - Targeting the year-end shopping season in Japan, Sony Marketing (Japan) Inc. will launch two models of PSX, a new generation HDD+DVD recorder, created through the convergence of electronics and games technologies of the Sony Group.

Any third party using PSX to refer to the PS is simply incorrect. Any third party using PSX to refer to either or both of the PS and/or PS2 are also incorrect and should have more properly used PSn.

But yes.. we must all be very bored. Next thing you know, we'll be debating whether or not the PS2 is actually a computer... oh... wait.

Fox5 said:
I never remember seeing it called Playstation X, but PSX was always its abbreviation in magazines, store shelves, 3rd party accessories, etc. I'm sure N64 wasn't an official abbreviation either, but it's what is accepted for the Nintendo 64 and was even used in some commercials.
i always found it strange that magazines latched onto the PSX moniker for playstation derived from its abbreviated internal code name, while Nintendo 64 was always reffered to as N64 and not NUS (its abbreviated internal code name). on that topic, does anyone know why the DSlite uses the code USG? the original DS system and accessories are stamped with NTR (Nitro), but the DSlite is different.

The original name of the Playstation WAS PSX.

Look at the BIOS in a hex editor, it contains several references to "PSX.EXE", and how about this line "PS-X Realtime Kernel Ver.2.5" or this one "PS-X ROM monitor Ver.2.3"

RancidLunchmeat said:
Any third party using PSX to refer to the PS is simply incorrect. Any third party using PSX to refer to either or both of the PS and/or PS2 are also incorrect and should have more properly used PSn.

But yes.. we must all be very bored. Next thing you know, we'll be debating whether or not the PS2 is actually a computer... oh... wait.

Agreed about the boring part :cool: But seriously, PSX wasn't even announced until people had been callling the Playstation "PSX" for years. Sounds to me like folks who weren't around for it are using hindsight to dictate what it should be called, vs actually being there.

Reznor007 said:
The original name of the Playstation WAS PSX.

Look at the BIOS in a hex editor, it contains several references to "PSX.EXE", and how about this line "PS-X Realtime Kernel Ver.2.5" or this one "PS-X ROM monitor Ver.2.3"
Reznor007 has answered the question once and for all I'd say. And, Next Generation mag referred to PlayStation as PSX and PS-X from day one. It seems PS-X is PlayStation Experimental, what Sony was calling it before they really started marketing it, but after the failed SNES PlayStation.

A google groups search for pre-1995.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it possible the BIOS was coded with the development name during development, before the product was released? And no-one bothered to update it because, quite frankly, that's a pointless waste of time? I don't think that's a certifiable proof of name. The only thing I'm sure of is PSone was the official name of the slimline version. OVer here in the UK it was just the PlayStation, and I don't know if it was abbreviated to PSX or PS at any point. There'd have been no point to a PS1 abbreviation back then.

PARANOiA said:
Agreed about the boring part :cool: But seriously, PSX wasn't even announced until people had been callling the Playstation "PSX" for years. Sounds to me like folks who weren't around for it are using hindsight to dictate what it should be called, vs actually being there.

For years yes.

But from 'Day one' as some have claimed?

I don't think so.

Why? Because there would simply have been no need to refer to the Playstation as anything OTHER than 'PlayStation' when it launched. Why call it a PSX instead of PS?

There's a reason we are lazy and like to abbreviate things, and it usually results in making names shorter.. both to write and prounounce. Not to make things longer.

I'd like to see some of this evidence that the PS was referred to as the PSX from 'Day One', because it simply doesn't make sense.

It doesn't make sense to refer to the Playstation as anything other than PS up until the point that the PS2 was announced, and then people needed a way to differentiate between the two systems.. because simply saying 'playstation' or 'PS' wasn't clear enough anymore.

RancidLunchmeat said:
For years yes.

But from 'Day one' as some have claimed?

I don't think so.

Why? Because there would simply have been no need to refer to the Playstation as anything OTHER than 'PlayStation' when it launched. Why call it a PSX instead of PS?

There's a reason we are lazy and like to abbreviate things, and it usually results in making names shorter.. both to write and prounounce. Not to make things longer.

I'd like to see some of this evidence that the PS was referred to as the PSX from 'Day One', because it simply doesn't make sense.

It doesn't make sense to refer to the Playstation as anything other than PS up until the point that the PS2 was announced, and then people needed a way to differentiate between the two systems.. because simply saying 'playstation' or 'PS' wasn't clear enough anymore.

I remember it in magazines (and early emulation attempts) as PSX, well before ps2 announced. PSX was just a 3 letter acronym that for some reason took hold because PS didn't look very nice and I think was already associated with several other products.

Back