Intel Planning CPU-integrated Graphics?

Actually that's where you definitely wouldn't want it. Why would you want a mobo with 4 or 8 separate CPU-sockets, each with integrated 2D graphics?

Jawed

Headstone said:
While this might not make sense right now to the mainstream market it really makes perfect sense to be added to the server market in the Xeon chips where dedicated graphics are not needed.
What's wrong with carrying on with the same old $2 Rage Pro ASIC, slung off some PCI bus as they've been using since, well, forever?

Jawed said:
Actually that's where you definitely wouldn't want it. Why would you want a mobo with 4 or 8 separate CPU-sockets, each with integrated 2D graphics?

Jawed
Good point. That totally skipped my mind.

chavvdarrr said:
Cyrix MediaGX, was exactly all-in-one CPU+GPU+Audio+memory controller.
I still remeber that a MB with 200MHz MediaGX was ~ 100$

I've actually got one of those that fits in a Socket 7. It's a MediaGXm, which has a different CPU core than the plain MediaGX and is actually faster than I expected. It's just basic 2D video, but that was normal for the time.

<edit> It's a socket 7 on the board, but it's NOT wired the same. Memory controller is on the CPU die etc, but they reused the common socket. </edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Well since we're talking Vista that would be dx9l 3d but that was my point earlier in the thread, it would be a waste of expensive die area that would be better spent on a faster CPU/instruction fetch/etc, another core or more cache.
I mean, sure do this on value celeron chips but not on the mainstream/performance ones.

Now if we're talking R600 sitting in package/on a close linked socket (eg AMDs co-processor) or a fully integrated small GPU running at full CPU core speed & really big bandwidth to RAM then we're cooking with gas but still better is memory controller integrated in the GPU instead a-la xenos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back