• Sony 30% Microsoft 40% Nintendo 30%

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Sony 40% Microsoft 30% Nintendo 30%

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • Sony 33% Microsoft 33% Nintendo 33%

Votes: 11 7.1%

• Total voters
Bad_Boy said:
33% for everyone. Tis only fair. Anything can happen between now and 2010.
This poll should come back up in 2008 after we get a better idea of things, but I guess by then polls like this would have little meaning as the answer would soon be given to us.

Indeed - we'll version it. I dub thee, "2006 edition". We'll do a 2007 version next summer to see where things are and where we think they're going at that time.

I think Sony and Nintendo will be close, MS will be third.

MS just doesn't have any feasible way to make up for the lack of sales in the asian territories and they can't feasibly outsell PS3/Rev in the western territories enough to offset this. Sony and Nintendo will sell well everywhere and MS will sell well in the western territories (at least in the states).

I put 40/20/40 as my vote -- give or take a few percent each (maybe like 40/25/35 or some such).

It's hard to guess at this point, as reading the fan boards paints such a drastically different picture than what reality is, so you can't really base anything off them. For example: a lot of fan boards thought Sony's E3 was rather poor, but every single one of my casual friends wants a PS3 more now than before, even after hearing the prices (some also want a Rev now too). Even my sister wants a PS3. Who knows how it'll turn out, but it should be pretty close all around -- certainly closer than last gen.

TheChefO said:
Great post - Thank you for illustrating your points.

For the record, I agree Wii could have significant gains depending on how low they price the machine initially and how well they can woo 3rd party devs. I still think they could sell better with a different name though.

This are the same reasons why I posted Wii for win (in HW sales, as casual gamers buy less games) but this depends largely on the price it need to be low enought for that.

pc999 said:
This are the same reasons why I posted Wii for win (in HW sales, as casual gamers buy less games) but this depends largely on the price it need to be low enought for that.

There were whispers earlier this year of $150 prices for Wii. If they hit that low at launch I'd say they had better get some manufacturing help asap! :)

TheChefO said:
Indeed - we'll version it. I dub thee, "2006 edition". We'll do a 2007 version next summer to see where things are and where we think they're going at that time.
Sounds good to me. :D

TheChefO said:
There were whispers earlier this year of $150 prices for Wii. If they hit that low at launch I'd say they had better get some manufacturing help asap! :)

In the first IGN specs report they even said 99$.

pc999 said:
In the first IGN specs report they even said 99$.

If they can get anywhere near that this fall their biggest issue will be supply as they will have absolutely no problem selling out from now till, well ... next gen I suppose :) That would solidify markethare asap and should woo devs left and right. Perhaps these sub $200 pricepoints are what caused a sudden shift of support for Wii recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
.Melchiah. said:
I just list few things that come to my mind...

PS3
+Sony PlayStation is De facto name for gaming among the average folk.
+There are ~100 million PS2 users, of which the majority will probably buy PS3 eventually.
+The game serie legacy; the fans know their favorite games will continue on PS3.
+The brand's popularity in all three major areas, especially in Japan.

Edit: These four things above are essentially the same thing, why list em four times?

+Playstation brandname and recognition (combined from above).
+The growing movement towards HDTVs among the average populace.
+Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Gran Turismo, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Formula One.
+Fully working backwards compatibility, and plethora of PS1/PS2 games that are available for cheap price. Edit: This is something that we have no idea about until launch.
+EyeToy2
+Built-in Blu-Ray player.
+HDD.
+Free online play. Edit: 3rd parties are able to decide to charge if they want to, unlike XBL.

-Price. Your nearest competitor is $200 cheaper than you as a videogame machine.
-Still ~5 months for the release.
-No graphical superiority (seen yet) to justify the increase in price nor the wait.
-No timed exclusivity for GTA series anymore.

Wii
+Price.
+The controller, eventhough I think it's a gimmick, will most probably lure many people to buy Wii.
+Nintendo's growing popularity in Japan.
+Mario, Zelda, Metroid. (new NintenDogs or something similar and equally popular?)
+The back catalogue available for download.

-Could fail if there won't be enough AAA games using the controller properly.
-Still ~5 months for the release.
-3rd Party support? Will the major hits like GTA come to Wii?

Xbox2
+The growing movement towards HDTVs among the average populace.
+Popularity in USA + Europe.
+Increased Japanese support (Capcom, Mistwalker, etc..)
+Halo, Forza, GTA (same day release), Fable, Ninja Gaiden, Rare's titles (Banjo, KI, PDZ, etc..)
+Best Selection of Western RPGs (Oblivion, Bioware's games, etc...)
+Live
+Been already available for 7-8 months.
+Sweetspot where price is concerned with true Next-gen graphics.
+Optional HD-DVD drive.
+Best selection of FPSs and action games.
+XBL Arcade.

-Not as popular in EU as in USA, even less so in Japan.
-Less diverse choice of games compared to what's expected from Sony.
-3rd party support in Japan?
-No standard HDD.
-No free online play.

Fixed. ;)

Sorry for going OT, but I have to ask...

Hardknock said:
Edit: This is something that we have no idea about until launch.
You referring to the BC part? or the Cheap PS1/PS2 games part?

Hardknock said:
Edit: 3rd parties are able to decide to charge if they want to, unlike XBL.
Not sure how that would work with a unified login. pay a subscription for most ps3 games, but pay another subscription on the side for a game that doesnt choose ps3's online network?

I think this is the last thing or most recent thing I heard about ps3 games on ps3's network.

Jim Cordeira from Gaming-Age...
http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2006/5/17-51

This morning, SCEA's PR Manager helped to clarify the situation. When asked to confirm whether playing games online via the PlayStation 3 would be free of charge, it was stated, plain and simply, "Please note that online gaming will be free right out of the box". There ya go.

As for the 3rd party stuff...the same Jim posted this in the forums.
3rd party titles will also be free

This is not my news so dont shoot the messenger.

Hardknock said:
+Halo, Forza, GTA (same day release), Fable,
funny you added those, but did not feel the need to list ps3 titles.

Hardknock said:
+Great selection of FPSs and action games.
how that is a bullet point is beyond me. you could argue the same for all three consoles.

Bad_Boy said:
Sorry for going OT, but I have to ask...

You referring to the BC part? or the Cheap PS1/PS2 games part?

Of course I'm talking about the "fully working BC" part. Using emulation (which is what I've been told they're using) is always tricky business.

funny you added those, but did not feel the need to list ps3 titles.

He only listed 2 Xbox titles, I was expanding on it a bit.

how that is a bullet point is beyond me. you could argue the same for all three consoles.

Maybe I should have used "best" instead of "great" selection. And it's a bullet point because they are very popular in the West.

Hardknock said:
Of course I'm talking about the "fully working BC" part. Using emulation (which is what I've been told they're using) is always tricky business.
According to the lastest reports, arent they going for hardware BC, and later on switching to software?

He only listed 2 Xbox titles, I was expanding on it a bit.
fair enough.

Maybe I should have used "best" instead of "great" selection. And it's a bullet point because they are very popular in the West.
"best"?, pretty subjective dont you think?

Any comments about the online stuff I posted?

I think this poll is innacurate (not knocking your idea ChefO :)) in that it assumes that the sales of one machine will take away from the market of another. I think that Wii will capture 40% of the market, but I also believe that this will leave Sony and Microsoft still ~80% of the market to fight over. I don't believe that Wii will be a machine that people purchase in instead of PS3 or 360, but alongside them. My prediction is that Microsoft hits ~40% of the market in the best case scenario, and that PS3 will hit about 40-50%. There is just no way imo that PS3 will lose more than (assuming 70% market share and 100million sales, 142million person market) 45 million customers this generation, even given the price point (that is if they got 40% of the market, assuming the aforementioned #'s).

People may wait till price drops happen, but PS3 should still going to be a majority leader. If Microsoft pulls even with PS3 this generation that will be amazing enough. I think worst case scenario for Sony is 40-40 split with microsoft, and Nintendo should expect about 30-40% of the market to buy their hardware. I'm assuming of course a lot of Wii60 and PSwii combinations. Microsoft is set to make a lot more revenue from their game division this generation, including probable profits on systems sold by 2008-2009. They have learned a lot of lessons from Xbox, and are making some very good moves (Live! Arcade, accessory sales like camera, HD-DVD, cheaper hardware + better thought out contracts with hardware manufacturers). I think those that assume terrible Asian territory sales will be surprised by the 360's strength, as soon as we see good 3rd party Japanese titles. Microsoft has the most work left to do in this area, but it is not impossible. Their dev relations this time around are much improved.

Bad_Boy said:
Any comments about the online stuff I posted?

I'll wait until it's fully realized. Going by the past they've promised and under delivered in this area before. But if it's true that would be a very nice plus to have no doubt about it. ;)

Hardknock said:
I'll wait until it's fully realized. Going by the past they've promised and under delivered in this area before. But if it's true that would be a very nice plus to have no doubt about it. ;)
So basically, all of your additional bulletpoints I specifically quoted have been refuted except the 360 titles one of course, but your choosing to argue the last one by personal doubt alone? mmmk.

Just trying to be fair thats all.

PS3
+Fully working backwards compatibility, and plethora of PS1/PS2 games that are available for cheap price. Edit: This is something that we have no idea about until launch.
Edit.2: Yes we do, we know PS3 will include PS2 chip, like PS2 had a PS1 chip.

+Free online play. Edit: 3rd parties are able to decide to charge if they want to, unlike XBL.
Edit.2: How likely thats going to happen as Sony's own games will have free online play. Of course MMORPGs are a different matter.

-Price. Edit: Your nearest competitor is $200 cheaper than you as a videogame machine.
Edit.2: 100$ cheaper, as it should be compared to the cheaper PS3 model. And your nearest competitor doesn't have built-in Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player, built-in wireless adaptor, a motion sensing controller, fully working backwards compatibility and free online play.
With HD-DVD and wireless adaptor add-ons the Xbox2 isn't that good of a deal anymore, is it?

-No graphical superiority (seen yet) to justify the increase in price nor the wait.
Edit.2: The price can be justified with the above mentioned details, and the wait can be justified with exclusive games.

Xbox2
+Popularity in USA + Europe.
Edit.2: Not as popular as in USA, EU has been Sony's territory for over a decade.

+Increased Japanese support (Capcom, Mistwalker, etc..)
Edit.2: Resident Evil 5 is a big blus for Xbox2. Mistwalker's games could turn out to be good or mediocre or bad, and eventhough Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey would be great games it doesn't mean they'd automatically sell well.
The Xbox2 support in Japan is still far behind the amount of support Sony and Nintendo recieve there.

+Halo, Forza, GTA (same day release), Fable, Ninja Gaiden, Rare's titles (Banjo, KI, PDZ, etc..)
Edit.2: I could be wrong, but IIRC Fable, Ninja Gaiden, Banjo and PDZ weren't actually top sellers like ie. Halo, GTA, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Formula One, Ratchet & Clank, and Mario & Zelda games.

Edit.2: And the worst selection of Japanese RPGs.
Anyhow, I can say with complete certainty that "Yes, there will be some turn-based RPGs" for the PlayStation 3. I can't say how many there will be, of course, or if that sub-genre will still be in demand by the end of the next-generation, but it's a given that we'll get some of them somewhere along the line. After all, There are currently around 20 CONFIRMED role-playing games headed for PS3 already and it isn't even out yet. Plus, some of those confirmed titles include franchises that have a history of being turn-based (Shin Megami Tensei and Makai Wars immediately spring to mind).

Jeremy Dunham
Editor in Chief, IGN PlayStation Team

http://ps3.ign.com/mail/

+Sweetspot where price is concerned with true Next-gen graphics.
Edit.2: Most people still don't own HDTV, cheaper Wii could offer them more or less equal eyecandy, that being said I think the graphics aren't that big of a deal for the majority of console players (those ~100 million who bought PS2 instead of GC/Xbox, and those who bought GC instead of Xbox).

+Optional HD-DVD drive.
Edit.2: How's that a big plus? I predict the add-on will never be sold in large quantities.

+Best selection of FPSs and action games.
Edit.2: That could also be taken as there being too many games like that. Not to mention that most of those games will also be available for PC, and some for PS3.

-Less diverse choice of games compared to what's expected from Sony.
Edit.2: Less diverse choice of games compared to Sony and Nintendo

Now it's fixed. ;)

edit: typo

Where's the "none of the above, please explain" option?

I see Sony still up there with way over 60%, MS & Nintendo sharing the rest. Though I'd like to see Nintendo go up in the charts, maybe the new controller along with enough great games will change the situation

Just my gut feeling here, based on no facts.

pakotlar said:
I think this poll is innacurate (not knocking your idea ChefO :)) in that it assumes that the sales of one machine will take away from the market of another. I think that Wii will capture 40% of the market, but I also believe that this will leave Sony and Microsoft still ~80% of the market to fight over. I don't believe that Wii will be a machine that people purchase in instead of PS3 or 360, but alongside them. My prediction is that Microsoft hits ~40% of the market in the best case scenario, and that PS3 will hit about 40-50%. There is just no way imo that PS3 will lose more than (assuming 70% market share and 100million sales, 142million person market) 45 million customers this generation, even given the price point (that is if they got 40% of the market, assuming the aforementioned #'s).

People may wait till price drops happen, but PS3 should still going to be a majority leader. If Microsoft pulls even with PS3 this generation that will be amazing enough. I think worst case scenario for Sony is 40-40 split with microsoft, and Nintendo should expect about 30-40% of the market to buy their hardware. I'm assuming of course a lot of Wii60 and PSwii combinations. Microsoft is set to make a lot more revenue from their game division this generation, including probable profits on systems sold by 2008-2009. They have learned a lot of lessons from Xbox, and are making some very good moves (Live! Arcade, accessory sales like camera, HD-DVD, cheaper hardware + better thought out contracts with hardware manufacturers). I think those that assume terrible Asian territory sales will be surprised by the 360's strength, as soon as we see good 3rd party Japanese titles. Microsoft has the most work left to do in this area, but it is not impossible. Their dev relations this time around are much improved.

I agree there seems to be a major shift coming WRT "who" is buying these machines and expanding the market in general. While this will be a good thing I'd say that Wii is not the only one looking to expand their market. Sony seems to be ready to market the ps3 outside traditional gamer realms which could bring in scores more buyers, but potentially not all that hyped for gaming. Wii has the same potential of sparking interest outside of the traditional gamers realm. With this general outward movement this gen there will also be some affect on 360 sales going to non-traditional gamers.

With that said, The concept of the poll isn't for how many (millions) will be in each camp, because THAT is a whole other wildcard in itself. The concept with this poll is potential growth, where will the market stand by 2010?

edit - agreed - also there will be significant overlap with Wii.

Back