Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
And on the other hand saying this "Stop declaring rumours for real only because they favor your system of choice" isn´t very polite from your part, above all being a just registered member.

Pardon me. I'll choose my words more politely next time.

But still this is a problem that you see in all forums and in all next gen discussions: People tend to believe the rumours that are in conformity with their very own wishes, even if thes rumours are pipedreams. The next gen consoles might not be on the exact same level when it comes to gaming performance, but the gap will not be 200-300 percent as stated in the article that you just posted.

But still this is a problem that you see in all forums and in all next gen discussions: People tend to believe the rumours that are in conformity with their very own wishes, even if thes rumours are pipedreams. The next gen consoles might not be on the exact same level when it comes to gaming performance, but the gap will not be 200-300 percent as stated in the article that you just posted.

You just need to put on your marketing glasses. PS3 was described as having over 2 TF system performance. The 360 was described as having about 1. They ended up being pretty much equal ;)

All correct. The part that intrigues me more about the dualpixel article is the playstation omniview rumor ( you believed i was a xbox fanboy when in fact i am more a Sony one, but above all a graphics and tech freak ) and i thought from a marketing and sales point of view launching with something like that could be a giant win point. We all are seing how Oculus Rift reactions are creating a snow ball hyping machine around it. Imagine if a console market had something like that in launch time...No one in magazines and papers would talk about flops.

I got the clock speed one but the other is a half answer. There's a difference between assisting the GPU and having enough independent functionality such that you must qualify the 1.2TF GPU as the "main" GPU.

I guess it would be better to say it was a misuse of the word "main" on my part then. Because there doesn't seem to be anything suggesting another component has enough independent functionality.

And about the part of the other components to assist the GPU you have no idea?.

Nothing that doesn't seem to have been already touched on. All I can continue to say is for PS4 and Xbox 3's power being said to be debatable last year before this info came out would suggest to me there is definitely something to the set up of Xbox 3's hardware since the GPU has less raw power.

The giant win will come in how many units you sell not how good the graphics look.
Well I would go further, user base is a pretty FB measurement for the success of a product ;)

For a company, investors and so on, it is about revenues and and margins.

Anyway, I'm lost with all those new posts :LOL:
If the specs are close to what I read here I guess 720P is going nowhere / hope that 1080p is not forcefully enforce on devs...

All correct. The part that intrigues me more about the dualpixel article is the playstation omniview rumor ( you believed i was a xbox fanboy when in fact i am more a Sony one, but above all a graphics and tech freak ) and i thought from a marketing and sales point of view launching with something like that could be a giant win point. We all are seing how Oculus Rift reactions are creating a snow ball hyping machine around it. Imagine if a console market had something like that in launch time...No one in magazines and papers would talk about flops.

Yeah that would be great. Sony has just presented their newest VR tech with the HMZ-T3 a couple of weeks ago, which is basically the same as the Oculus Rift. But I doubt they will bundle it with each PlayStation since the predecessor, the HMZ-T2, sells at around $900.

In my opinion the age of virtual realitity will start with the age of cloud gaming. I assume that both next gen systems, the PlayStation and the XBox, will be cloud-gaming-ready, but they will still have to deliver proper next next gen visuals in the next couple of years; not to forget that new cloud gaming technologies like Cloud Paging still require potent processors as well.

I think it is a little bit too early to expect an out-of-the-box VR solution with every next gen console. Would be cool though.

Ray tracing will be in, we've had multiple people on this board post about it.

Ingenious move by MS. The more boxes you connect together the better your graphics. We may see core fans scrambling to buy dozens at launch.

Yeah that would be great. Sony has just presented their newest VR tech with the HMZ-T3 a couple of weeks ago, which is basically the same as the Oculus Rift. But I doubt they will bundle it with each PlayStation since the predecessor, the HMZ-T2, sells at around $900.

In my opinion the age of virtual realitity will start with the age of cloud gaming. I assume that both next gen systems, the PlayStation and the XBox, will be cloud-gaming-ready, but they will still have to deliver proper next next gen visuals in the next couple of years; not to forget that new cloud gaming technologies like Cloud Paging still require potent processors as well.

I think it is a little bit too early to expect an out-of-the-box VR solution with every next gen console. Would be cool though.

I don´t know. I have been reading and seeing videos about semi-translucid Sony OLEDs and despite looking cheap maybe they are impossible to manufacture and could end up being way more expensive that a HMZ-T2.

I guess it would be better to say it was a misuse of the word "main" on my part then. Because there doesn't seem to be anything suggesting another component has enough independent functionality..

Ok, so strictly pre or post processing. I'm interested to know types of operations could be handled by a more specialized part than a GPU. It seems that me you'd have some specialized circuitry great at one component of what a GPU does (but was better not modifying the GPU cores). Whether that's lighting or whatever, I wonder if it would contribute to a 'Durango' look for most titles.

Ingenious move by MS. The more boxes you connect together the better your graphics. We may see core fans scrambling to buy dozens at launch.

yeah, me at least 5 times!. And real developers like Deanoc and ERP have talked about it but only as a curiosity.And i promise i am not insider nor know one ;)

Based on what though, wishful thinking, the fact it's a cool idea, where is the original source, I don't believe there is one.

Based on what though, wishful thinking, the fact it's a cool idea, where is the original source, I don't believe there is one.

I agree, and ray tracing chipsets on nextgen consoles but only a 1.2 tflops GPU to reduce costs ? seriously...I think people start to loose their minds on this thread...maybe they need a break...or better a vacation, a real one not a virtual one...

I think what happened is that the talk of SVO got out of hand. UE4 (and it seems Id Tech 6) both utilize such techniques.

The two are very different display technologies.
Occulus Rift is using a huge LCD screen (bad image quality, but cost advantage and very immersive FOV), while Sony uses a pair of OLED displays (expensive and lower FOV, but amazing image quality). I would assume they would add the Move sensor method and get a perfect 1:1 mapping of the head. Occulus Rift doesn't have position tracking as far as I know, just the angle. That's one of the reason people get headaches with VR, you move your head position and the view remains static, then the brain doesn't understand. The lag is also a major issue for any VR technology, I don't know if they can solve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back