Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
The information in the article seems to be directly taken from NeoGAF.

Agreed. The VG237 article looks like it was info taken straight from here or GAF, while that NowGamer article looks to be quoting from this article, that had already been discussed here. Either way it looks there are no real sources or new info for either article.

I guess this is typical Sony- better to have faster\superior RAM than more of it. But won't that gap have a rather serious impact on game performance for multiplats?

Doubtful. Any worthwhile engine will be streaming in assets all the time. 3gb would be cutting it close though if the bandwidth is really as high as it is. It'd be a waste of bandwidth potential if RAM amount was the bottleneck.

Although it seems like Orbis has a pretty noticeable memory deficiency when compared with the Durango. Faster RAM be damned, according to those specs Durango has near about twice as much usable memory for games after overhead is taken into account.

They can keep all the RAM , i'll go for the better GPU .

We have 3 kind of rumors, a) Next Xbox more powerful than ps4 (w/special sauce), b) Ps4 more powerful than Next Xbox (more flops), and c) very similar power.

Any news abot SuperDAE?

We have 3 kind of rumors, a) Next Xbox more powerful than ps4 (w/special sauce), b) Ps4 more powerful than Next Xbox (more flops), and c) very similar power.

Any news abot SuperDAE?

I would ignore him. He's supposedly doxing FBI agents on his twitter feed now. Let's leave it at that and stay on topic.

The information in the article seems to be directly taken from NeoGAF.
Exactly. I made post on other topic here about it. Gaming journalists quoting imaginary insiders (probably people with certain mental problems). Doesn't get any better.

Well, if the information on GAF has been correct, wouldn't you expect other sources basically confirming it?

As far as RAM amounts and flop counts, all the rumors are starting to converge to these numbers. Yeah, they could be originating in the same source, but that seems unlikely, imo.
Who came up with 1.23TF number and how is it correct?*

*Note
I don't know the number, I'm just trying to see how can we judge "correctness" on mere fact that it was "accepted" as fact on gaming forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. I made post on other topic here about it. Gaming journalists quoting imaginary insiders (probably people with certain mental problems). Doesn't get any better.

I don't know if there are any real gaming journalists. Gaming columnists, yes. Journalists? Not really. That's why I take all of these "rumors" pretty lightly, especially the ones that claim "insider" knowledge. I'm sure you're right about the insiders being more imaginary than real. The legions of fanboys make it pretty easy to write BS and get hits.

Know what?. I am starting to believe this is the most accurate rumor we have:

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/ru...y-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

These systems, with all this secretism, i am starting to believe will be more about peripherals and VR.
The only sticking is that the insider could have been guided by the RAM of the systems in the moment of the leak to make comparissons about power.

720 with LiveWall + Kinect 2 + 2/3 times more powerfull than PS4 for 399 I honestly doubt that...

Know what?. I am starting to believe this is the most accurate rumor we have:

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/ru...y-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

This is complete nonsense. According to this speculation the new XBox is a 4 TFLOPS monster. An AMD HD7970Ghz is the fastest 28nm single-GPU graphics card with a TDP of 250W and 4 TFLOPS. You're not going to see something like this in a gaming console.

Stop declaring rumours for real only because they favor your system of choice.

Who came up with 1.23TF number and how is it correct?*

*Note
I don't know the number, I'm just trying to see how can we judge "correctness" on mere fact that it was "accepted" as fact on gaming forum.

Here's one recent reference to it.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1694187&postcount=18506

I don't know what is so unbelievable about that number.

If you look at what AMD has done with their APU's and power consumption numbers for GPUs like Cape Verde, something around 768 shaders and a clock under 1GHz is the most likely candidate. IMO, it's a reasonable and the likely number for raw performance.

If you look at what AMD has done with their APU's and power consumption numbers for GPUs like Cape Verde, something around 768 shaders and a clock under 1GHz is the most likely candidate. IMO, it's a reasonable and the likely number for raw performance.
Oh okay, so people just added numbers. Than its ok, it just seemed like somebody from other forum claimed to have "source" and posted it like its a fact. BG is pretty consistent and I do believe him.

Well if those are true, we know quite enough about both of these to have a pretty clear picture about the outcome. If there is 4GB GDDR5 in PS4, and not 2GB, it will hardly be a competition.

I do think it all adds up with first pastebin rumor dating back to dec 2011. The guy who was first with codenames (4 moths early). He said he was a "student", but he nailed pretty much everything and he must have confused CPU with GPU when he said "1.2 TFLOPs" for it.

This is complete nonsense. According to this speculation the new XBox is a 4 TFLOPS monster. An AMD HD7970Ghz is the fastest 28nm single-GPU graphics card with a TDP of 250W and 4 TFLOPS. You're not going to see something like this in a gaming console.

Stop declaring rumours for real only because they favor your system of choice.

I think you are confusing it with the nowgamer BS article. Here it doesn´t talk anywhere about flops. It says Xbox can be 2 or 3 times more powerful than PS4. And reality is that so could be said in the time of the article knowing only that the first had 8 GB of RAM and the second 2. So, dismissing the part of the power as wrong, i only say that the rest could hide some truth inside.

And on the other hand saying this "Stop declaring rumours for real only because they favor your system of choice" isn´t very polite from your part, above all being a just registered member.

Important to note he said "current" and "main" GPU. Have to wonder why we've got 0 numbers about this second GPU.

Here is an interesting read concerning a 768 shaders GPU: What is This Mystery Chip?

Could that be the dev kit GPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back