Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's think about other potential 8s:

-8 players/users at once on one console
-Kinect 2 supporting up to 8 players. 8 player party games at launch
-$8 / mo live infinite plan. Unlimited streaming, cloud storage, and 8 game rentals per year
-8 colors to choose from at launch

More info dumping from Aurthur Gies:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46197245&postcount=532
I don't think there's any way durango's total flops could work out to what's in the devkit, honestly. It would be absurd.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46197475&postcount=556
Originally Posted by ghst:
i was angling for some erring, hand waving, confirmation or dismissal of the ~2.5tflop GPU buzz.

answer on an anonymous postcard.
I mean, as a novice engineering wise, at a glance at the components I would say thereabouts or higher? But I'm not sure about that at all. It seems too good to be true.

Originally Posted by McHuj:
I don't think IBM has a 28nm process.
It's not IBM.
Also:
https://twitter.com/aegies/status/288485398785699840
just throwing this out there: the xi3 runs at 20 watts of power consumption. the wii u is 50. durango and orbis are ~170-200.
LW4dGl0hnuAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
LW4dGl0hnuAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

So are we back to optimistic now? Jesus these rumors and whispers go from disappointing to exciting every single day. its gonna be hell waiting to E3.

Atleast we have a few specifics down namely the amount of ram, the process and the amount of power.

So are we back to optimistic now? Jesus these rumors and whispers go from disappointing to exciting every single day. its gonna be hell waiting to E3.

Atleast we have a few specifics down namely the amount of ram, the process and the amount of power.
Well I guess there are a lot of disfunctional people /attention whores that want to get their quarter of celebrity :LOL:
Some are good at it it seems.

Anyway, Nvidia did not let a word slip about its Shield project, to the point that it is so unexpected that reception is completely tedious it seems, people doesn't like to be taken their pants completely down I guess... :LOL:
MSft made a great job with Natal too.
At this point I just decided to wait , too much headaches.

Wii U reserves 1GB for system (O.S. incluided).
Wii U's bloody ridiculous.

For OS footprint, look at everything XB360 can do in 32 MBs. It can already do pretty much everything you could really want, so why would you need anything above 10x as much RAM to achieve the same ends? Look at a smart-phone, doing any job in 256 MBs RAM. 1 GB is probably the top end of OS consumption needed next gen, and that's calculated by having 8 gigs of slow RAM that a game can't make use of frame to frame so you may as well make it 7 gigs and partition off 1 gig for the OS devs to fool around with video-chat special effects and storing masses of open webpages.

Perhaps most of that 1GB is statically partitioned disk cache.
I did think and hope that, but early reports of load times suggests otherwise. Maybe that's Nintendo not having finished their firmware though and eventually it will be disk cache?

Well yeah...so i doubt that he's(Aegis) just one of those run of the mill attention whores since he actually has sources. But we still don't have any context about anything until Microsoft says so :/

So i was thinking...yeah at the very least we can expect a jump from 360's GPU to Durango because of the smaller die process and general improvement of efficiency of the AMD chips since Xenos was created. I was wondering if we even have some sort of measure for these jumps in efficiency for every family of GPU, and if it actually makes a difference in regards to games.

I've seen a lot of people comparing flop to flop from 2005 to 2013 architectures without taking into account that these numbers may not be set in stone from every family.

Also yeah, i'm thinking Nintendo's 1GB fiasco is just that they are not good with OS's and since 2GB of DDR3 was the cheapest they could buy in bulk, they went with that and divvied it up between OS and games so they would not have to actually take too much time getting what they wanted in the OS to run.

Larrabee was a manycore throughput x86 design that had some TMU blocks.
Nothing in the rumors, even the outlandish ones, has gone in that direction.

True, nothing specifically but all reliable indicates that it's not a typical amd gpu.

Hey, anything to avoid another round of it's an 8xxx.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back