Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both consoles should be on stacked DDR4 with big bandwidth. And < 2TF rumors are unlikely unless either company really wants to make $50+ off every unit right off the bat.

Doesn't matter anyway,MS and Sony have deal,likely less than 10% difference
Btw Kinect is peripheral right now,and it will still be peripheral,too bad he won't told me more(i bet he's designing Durango UI now btw)

While its not technically a fact yet, pretty much everyone that has revealed information about Durango has said just that so..

Some rumors (even the MS leaked document) said DDR4, and if MS go with Hybrid Memory Cube, (I guess) the performance will be greater than DDR3...

I guess if Crytek says that high end Crysis 3 and next gen games will be very comparable to each other, and Crytek already knows 720's specs for sure, we really have nothing to worry about in terms of graphical power and the ability of devs to squeeze fantastic results out of those fixed specs. Even if the GPU was at or lower than 1TF peak theoretical performance levels (although i really doubt that kind of offhand speculation)

Both consoles should be on stacked DDR4 with big bandwidth. And < 2TF rumors are unlikely unless either company really wants to make $50+ off every unit right off the bat.
Or selling it very cheap, or packing a fancy, expensive new controller, or something. The business is unknown, so no assumptions can be made about BOM and what hardware that'd get you.

1.5Tf is still 5-6x current consoles.

It's >6x on paper and likely greater than 10x in real world throughput. That's a generational jump right there so I've no idea what people are worried about.

Talented developers will be able to do some incredibly impressive stuff with 10x PS360 power but for me, the true draw of the next generation is the second generation Kinect and social gaming - my living room could do with a party console since the Wii isn't really all that exciting any more! AAA/Action gaming ythough must be done on the PC in 3D. Anything less would be tragic :p

It's >6x on paper and likely greater than 10x in real world throughput. That's a generational jump right there so I've no idea what people are worried about.

Talented developers will be able to do some incredibly impressive stuff with 10x PS360 power but for me, the true draw of the next generation is the second generation Kinect and social gaming - my living room could do with a party console since the Wii isn't really all that exciting any more! AAA/Action gaming ythough must be done on the PC in 3D. Anything less would be tragic :p

While its many times more flops it wont be many times the fillrate, bandwidth...etc...etc...

That better not be the the true draw of next generation consoles...

that generational leap would of been okay if we were still on a 5 year cycle. But we are talking about the 360 being on the market 8 years when november comes around. we are almost hitting twice the length of the previous generation. Actually, this generation has been twice as long as for the xbox.

Or selling it very cheap, or packing a fancy, expensive new controller, or something. The business is unknown, so no assumptions can be made about BOM and what hardware that'd get you.

I don't think either company wants to create too much confusion between their old and new product, so price and feature wise there should be a significant enough gap to make it clearly evident to the masses. A fancy controller or Kinect 2.0 and lowish price isn't enough to do it imo. Wii ran that gimmick into the ground and then some already. They run the risk of people asking why bother and just sticking with continuing to buy the cheaper old console.

Of course this situation could still happen with powerful hardware anyways but at least the core would be happier :)

The Xbox was killed earlier than usual though, because of Microsoft's deal with NVIDIA having gone sour and the Xbox losing them money hand over fist.

6 years is usually the standard. Compared to about 4 for original box.

Doesn't matter anyway,MS and Sony have deal,likely less than 10% difference
Btw Kinect is peripheral right now,and it will still be peripheral,too bad he won't told me more(i bet he's designing Durango UI now btw)

What's this N2O?

Do you have a source or are you just speculating based on existing rumours?

I don't think either company wants to create too much confusion between their old and new product...
You might be right, but that's a whole other discussion on the business of next-gen. In this thread, we cannot rely on assumptions about the business model to accurately predict the hardware. If the rumours point to lower spec, one business perspective that suggests otherwise is not a suitable counterargument.

You might be right, but that's a whole other discussion on the business of next-gen. In this thread, we cannot rely on assumptions about the business model to accurately predict the hardware. If the rumours point to lower spec, one business perspective that suggests otherwise is not a suitable counterargument.

It could just be that neither Microsoft or Sony don't particularly want to loose big money on hardware cost vs launch price this time around.

Or that they want a machine that can be shrunk down and turned into a profit much quicker then they have this generation.

The Xbox was killed earlier than usual though, because of Microsoft's deal with NVIDIA having gone sour and the Xbox losing them money hand over fist.

6 years is usually the standard. Compared to about 4 for original box.

sure sure, but the jump from the xbox to the 360 was also 10x or in that ball park no? And that was after 4 years.

why expect that jump or a lower one after 8 years?

^ How so? Its pretty simple, some games work and some games don't. Its not rocket science. 360 already didn't support a lot of xbox titles because of the emulation issues they encountered. And even hardware BC with PS2 in the initial PS3's suffered issues with compatibility. Its not a new thing.

sure sure, but the jump from the xbox to the 360 was also 10x or in that ball park no? And that was after 4 years.

why expect that jump or a lower one after 8 years?

Because simply put, PC GPU's didn't explode with advancements and power this time like they did in the time between the last generation and the current generation.

We're talking 250gflop gpu's(360) in comparison to 6gflops for PS2 and 20(at most) for the original box, the most powerful console of its generation in 4 years.

Conversely, There was someone at NVIDIA who said recently that PC GPU's are now 24 times the power of console GPU's. He was trying to hype up his product of course, bu this person was also being completely disingenuous because he was referring to dual GPU's(like the 690) and not the 680 which is roughly 12x 360 exactly in theoretical peak floating point operations.

Wattage and heat as well as cost play much for of a factor these days, in regards to stuffing that into a console sized box too. The engineers for some reason just don't care as much about efficiency per watt.

Of course engine efficiencies and improved toolsets and shader models will help to boost what we get next gen once everyone is using it as standard. But tempering your expectations in regards to on paper calculations is key.

Of course i am talking out of my ass because i don't know any actual technical knowledge, so take what i say with two grains ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back