Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got bored and decided to build the rumoured PS4!!!

< snip pic>

If I can build that with off the shelf PC parts at consumer retail prices imagine how cheap Sony could build it for!!

There's a lot of things which can be reduced...

- Power supply
- PCB real estate for the GPU and RAM
- HDD price
- Blu-Ray drive price

Using parts with big bulk discount prices you could maybe even do that for £200!

You forgot the HDMI cable!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9052413.htm

This one is only 1m, and a console really needs 2m so that would be £70!

Got bored and decided to build the rumoured PS4!!!

Capture.png

If I can build that with off the shelf PC parts at consumer retail prices imagine how cheap Sony could build it for!!

There's a lot of things which can be reduced...

- Power supply
- PCB real estate for the GPU and RAM
- HDD price
- Blu-Ray drive price

Using parts with big bulk discount prices you could maybe even do that for £200!

For reference this how changing the the 6670 for a 7850 affects the price

Capture-2.png

Should still be able to reduce it to round about £300 with the right discounts??

Pretty reasonable? More like damned cheap! That'd be a significant profit margin per box at $400.
That was my argument: A semi-custom APU/SoC can be designed to be a cost optimized and even better performing alternative to a solution comprised of an APU and a small GPU. You have to go to a quite large dedicated GPU (or some other compelling reasons factor in) before a large APU/SoC only solution becomes unattractive or even prohibitive.

Amd's northbridge are flexible enough to swap in the soc gddr5 (es 128bit gddr) or add it to the ddr3 (128bit gddr + 64bit ddr3)?

Amd's northbridge are flexible enough to swap in the soc gddr5 (es 128bit gddr) or add it to the ddr3 (128bit gddr + 64bit ddr3)?
There are basically two memory controllers in Trinity for instance (UNB means unified northbridge even while it's obviously not completely unified):

Trinity_unb.png

There exists even a picture where the graphics memory controller (GMC) got its own box:

Trinity_die_marked.png

In principle, AMD has split the functionality into two blocks. Only the part actually controlling the DRAMs is not duplicated as the requirements for the CPU cores and the GPU probably differ a bit and so do the controllers. Combining a more powerful GPU core and faster external interface probably means the structure needs an overhaul (wider/faster connections), but it's probably nothing which can't be done with reasonable effort.

Edit:
Thinking about this, AMD has probably another version in the works anyway. I guess for the common address space for CPU/GPU memory access HSA should allow us in the next generation(s), a more unified memory controller may help the performance, but who knows? But it doesn't change my opinion, that one can get it to work with a faster GPU and faster memory with reasonable effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
From The Verge:

Microsoft is building its own 7-inch gaming tablet. Multiple sources familiar with plans within Redmond have confirmed to The Verge that initial hardware planning for an Xbox Surface is underway. Specifications for an Xbox Surface 7-inch tablet computing device leaked back in June ahead of Microsoft's Surface RT and Surface Pro announcement. We're told that the initial specs were accurate and that the final implementation is being worked on.
The Xbox Surface will likely include a custom ARM processor and high-bandwidth RAM designed specifically for gaming tasks. We're told these specifications could be altered to accommodate an unannounced Intel SoC and that the Xbox Surface is being developed independent of specific hardware architecture. Microsoft's Xbox Surface won't run a full version of Windows, rather this 7-inch tablet will run a custom Windows kernel. Messaging and other tablet functions may be supported, but the focus is on gaming.

Secret hardware, secret manufacturing

Microsoft has developed a secret hardware production process for its Surface tablets that is separated from partners that traditionally manufacturer the company's Xbox console. We're told that the Xbox Surface will likely be manufactured in the same factory, but that any future "Xbox 720" console will be manufactured in mass quantities by companies like Pegatron or Foxconn.

We've learned that part of the Xbox Surface is being developed at Microsoft's offices in Silicon Valley. The software giant recently locked down several Xbox-related buildings, limiting employee access to the company's Interactive Entertainment Business division. The lock down is likely related to Microsoft's increased testing of the tablet, providing a way for other parts of the Xbox team to build games and software for the device. Providing the project doesn't get killed in favor of a full 7-inch Windows tablet, in the same way Microsoft axed Courier, expect to see the Xbox Surface debut ahead of Microsoft's future Xbox console.
We asked Microsoft for a comment on an 7-inch Xbox tablet, a company spokesperson says the firm does not comment or rumors or speculation.
And the image leaked from June:

xboxsurface.jpg

Maybe the "Stationary Computing Device" is the Next Xbox.

EDIT: 16MB PSRAM sound like "pseudo-static DRAM": http://www.micron.com/products/dram/psram-cellularram

If this is ~2 years old that might be legit. I mean, they did go with IBM 6 core CPU before changing to AMD, and maybe they dropped VRAM for eDRAM and 8 gigs of unified memory.

EDIT.
Oh it says 12 cores? Well sounds a bit unrealistic. Doubt it.

It does indeed!!!

Video memory looks a little on the low side though!!

yeah, two IBM power 7s plus a 28 nm GPU....that's 77-7970 series.

the interesting thing about this sheet despite it being old is Xbox Surface. they are in the tablet/laptop making business now, so it sounds legit for them to make a gaming version.

with two styles of hardware on the same sheet and "stationary computing device", it sounds like Microsoft could be planing a brand of gaming devices that can also work together. I guess that could explain why all of their services have now been branded as "XBOX".:rolleyes:

interesting spreadsheet, looks solid with the Ms logo and all the fineprint. (full details)
wonder what phase they're on now with their tech.

Interesting to see IBM POWER. Maybe the 16 core rumor is legit.

maybe so, could be all that "power pc" talk sweetvar26 from Neogaf was talking about.

Don't no if it's legit or not but 380 Watts wow :oops:

It reinforces my belief that there is room for a cheap, but core oriented system.
Sony has to take that shot. If there is truth to this document it can't be cheap to produce, I'm confident that Sony can't compete with that as it would require them to subsidize way more than what they like can. Actually even if MSFT subsidizes it heavily it might still a quiet expansive device.
Once Kinect 2 is thrown in... I would wonder if the highest end SKU (including kinect) would come close to launch PS3 price tags.

There are still oddities in that document like: 2.6MB of fast L3, 1.2 GB of VRAM.
And it looks like MSFT gives more credit to Nintendo Wiimote than ones could have thought.

Xbox Live gives plenty of reason for monster specs. Growing Live is easier when your hardware is more powerful.

It reinforces my belief that there is room for a cheap, but core oriented system.
Sony has to take that shot. If there is truth to this document it can't be cheap to produce, I'm confident that Sony can't compete with that as it would require them to subsidize way more than what they like can. Actually even if MSFT subsidizes it heavily it might still a quiet expansive device.
Once Kinect 2 is thrown in... I would wonder if the highest end SKU (including kinect) would come close to launch PS3 price tags.

There are still oddities in that document like: 2.6MB of fast L3, 1.2 GB of VRAM.
And it looks like MSFT gives more credit to Nintendo Wiimote than ones could have thought.
Just out of curiosity, what happens when GTAVI comes out for example and there is no PS4 version or there is, but its serious downgrade?

I don't think that Sony, with their current user base and people looking to upgrade next year can go for cheap and modest console. It would be 180 turn and I don't know why would anyone buy it. They don't have Nintendo 1st party and ~25 mil fans that will buy it no matter what, and they don't have MS money to compete on specs front.

On subsidizing thing...Well, MS does make hefty money on Live, and they will still sell ~7-8 million of 360s next year all with good profits. Question is, are they going for a "kill" or are they playing it safe.

Just out of curiosity, what happens when GTAVI comes out for example and there is no PS4 version or there is, but its serious downgrade?

I don't think that Sony, with their current user base and people looking to upgrade next year can go for cheap and modest console. It would be 180 turn and I don't know why would anyone buy it. They don't have Nintendo 1st party and ~25 mil fans that will buy it no matter what, and they don't have MS money to compete on specs front.

On subsidizing thing...Well, MS does make hefty money on Live, and they will still sell ~7-8 million of 360s next year all with good profits. Question is, are they going for a "kill" or are they playing it safe.
Just out of curiosity, how do you expect Sony to keep up with something like that without going belly up in a few quarter? /...
Just out of curiosity what happen when GTA VI doesn't even run on the average PC?
And so on...
Edit
Just out of curiosity do you think it would be that fair to compare systems with a significantly different price tags? How about "Live" cost and TCO of the system?
Edit 2 about the fan, they don't have fans? Really? That's quiet strong, I would say that in Europe as a brand Sony is still quiet stronger than MSFT.
European costumers seems more sensible to the Live subscription fee too.
Sony has still plenty of strengths but it is clear they can't bet on a frontal war with MSFT on specs and price at the same time.
Edit 3
I realize that you answer made me a bit angry... over reaction after a boring day sorry about that. The 'Just of curiosity' kind of had a negative ring to it but I may have over react. Though Sony faces (as a whole) quiet a challenge, they have to find a strategy, for me going with low price is among the safest choices they have.

We can come up with all sorts of hypothetical scenarios to explore 'what if's. What if GTAVI comes out and 20 million people want to play it, and the choice is between a $400 monster console and a $200 simpler console? Maybe 15 million of them will pick the cheaper option. Without any idea of the business strategies of these companies, I reiterate that we cannot use the market to predict the hardware choices. There's a whole other discussion on what the business choices are next-gen; this thread is here to explore the hardware options and rumours.

I don't think you understood me. I asked the question because GTA is ~25 mil seller and I think the question of what happens if one of the consoles where half of those games are sold on doesn't get the game, or gets the game that is severely downgraded is legitimate.

You said that industry has room for one cheap core console, and what games is that cheap core console gonna get when the majority that buy that console expect it to get games like GTA, AC, RDR, COD etc. What if it doesn't get those games? I mean, Dreamcast failed the same way. 3rd party rushed on PS2 side and since Dreamcast (nor the PS or Xbox for that matter) never had 1st party appeal of Nintendo and fan base that will buy it no matter what because of titles like Mario, Zelda and Metroid, it failed.

I do believe Sony is asking themselves the same question. They can't let it go and go for very cheap and modest console now that they cemented their position in gaming market for last 3 gens. And anyway, I doubt that they are going to release something like that. They can build quite nice machine that won't be left far behind and still not break bank. All rumors point to that direction anyway...MS can't go that much beyond of what Sony is currently shooting for for obvious reasons.

I have a hunch sony isn't thinking about PC gaming at 1080p, but more like console gaming at 1080p 60 fps. with PC standards always moving forward, it would be impossible to guaranty such a claim. Which is probably why no such demand has been leaked in MS's documents.

I just now saw that. that seems too high for a console. maybe it's for all the stuff they plan to pack inside of the darn thing? whatever it is i hope they got plenty of space for the correct cooling.

either way, It's an old spread sheet, some of the numbers of the GPU are loosely translating, unless it's a custom 28 nm chip.

but loosely connecting the dots of both paths for sony and ms, sweetvar26's posts could possibly be correct. Sony refuses to comment on the rumored dev kits being APU based and MS has a leaked document of an IBM power pc based device... it doesn't feel like a coincidence anymore to the rumors.

however, the number of CPU cores and GPU specs currently are OR plan to be, is still up in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back