Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what they're saying. ;)

3D is irrelevant, not selling, and 4k is equally irrelevant.

Difference is as the normal incremental resolution upgrade, I expect 4K has a much brighter future. Eventually.

But I do think it's irrelevant for next gen. Hell, there's some concern whether we even get a 1080P standard.

Difference is as the normal incremental resolution upgrade, I expect 4K has a much brighter future. Eventually.

Funny, I think it is *much* more irrelevant than 3D.

But I do think it's irrelevant for next gen. Hell, there's some concern whether we even get a 1080P standard.

1080 is going to be the standard output resolution, but we'll have lots of games with lower internal resolution upscaled to 1080. Prettier pixels are more important than more pixels.

Cheers

Funny, I think it is *much* more irrelevant than 3D.

1080 is going to be the standard output resolution, but we'll have lots of games with lower internal resolution upscaled to 1080. Prettier pixels are more important than more pixels.

Cheers

1080 is standard output res now. and to the 2nd, yeah I know. But if the target is 1080 then I mean that over 50% of games hit it (I assume that's true this gen) and the misses still hit 70-80 or 90% of it, the same relation this gen has to 720P.

BTW just read this on Anand's Trinity for HTPC piece minutes ago, thought it interestting in light of this debate :p

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6335/amds-trinity-an-htpc-perspective/7

Full hardware decode of MVC 3D videos is not available. 3D Blu-rays have a slightly greater power penalty as a result. However, 3D is fast becoming an 'also-ran' feature, and we don't really fault Trinity for not having full acceleration.
The video industry is pushing 4K and it makes more sense to a lot of people compared to the 3D push. 4K should see a much faster rate of adoption compared to 3D, but Trinity seems to have missed the boat here. AMD's Southern Islands as well as NVIDIA's Kepler GPUs support 4K output over HDMI, but Trinity doesn't have 4K video decode acceleration or 4K display output over HDMI.

4K is just the next step, just as 1080P and 720P before. I suppose it's possible we all only care about tablets now and 4k never "arrives", but I STRONGLY doubt that. For next gen consoles, 4k output is all we'll see.

I have a feeling that less games will hit 1080p next gen than games hit 720p this gen. I wouldn't be surprised if after the initial batch of launch titles that pretty much 99% of games were something less than 1080p as the devs choose to sacrifice pixels for more advanced rendering effects.

I have no idea how you consoles players can say that, some games just look down right awful and blurry that it spoils the whole game.

COD suffers from this really bad.

12+ million people disagree with you. I think a resolution greater than 720p but less than 1080p will be good enough for most gamers, and still a big improvement on the sub-720p games we're seeing now. I can't see the new hardware being good enough to push 1080p without having the games look like upscaled current-gen games. And the thing is, so many effects are rendered at 1/4, 1/8th of the final framebuffer, and I'd rather see an improvement. I don't want to see jagged shadows or pixelated fog, explosions and reflections.

I think devs made the right choice this gen (i.e. better pixels instead of more pixels).

Last edited by a moderator:
12+ million people disagree with you. I think a resolution greater than 720p but less than 1080p will be good enough for most gamers, and still a big improvement on the sub-720p games we're seeing now. I can't see the new hardware being good enough to push 1080p without having the games look like upscaled current-gen games. And the thing is, so many effects are rendered at 1/4, 1/8th of the opaque geometry, and I'd rather see an improvement. I don't want to see jagged shadows or pixelated fog, explosions and reflections.

12+ million don't know any better because they've never seen better...

Show them all the games running on PC at 1080p and then see how many of those change there mind...

When people come round and see games running on my monitor the first thing they always comment on in how clear and crisp everything looks.

We've had > 1280x720 resolution displays for a very long time now... If they hadn't seen better by now, then it seems likely they'd not even be able to afford better anyway. Or they simply don't care enough to all move to PC (or other reason).

We've had > 1280x720 resolution displays for a very long time now... If they hadn't seen better by now, then it seems likely they'd not even be able to afford better anyway. Or they simply don't care enough to all move to PC (or other reason).

Those displays are very very rare these days, even cheap £200 displays offer native panel resolutions above 1280x720 and most sets over £300 offer full 1920x1080 panels.

Uh yeah... "greater than 720p res". Plenty of monitors from the late 90s doing > 1024x768/1280x1024. Over a decade seems long enough for gamers to know & care about higher res...

Show them all the games running on PC at 1080p and then see how many of those change there mind...

You're not understanding. People can see the difference, they just don't care. At normal distances from a TV the difference between 720p and 1080p isn't huge.

When people come round and see games running on my monitor the first thing they always comment on in how clear and crisp everything looks.

They are just being polite. How many of them actually run home and buy expensive hardware?

I have a u3011 and hardware that can carry a game on it at native res, it in no way makes games on my console unplayable.

The jump from 720p (2005 hardware) to 1080p is really so difficult?

EDIT: I know that is not only 720p->1080p, it is more resolution and better graphics (both), but Microsoft did it with Xbox 360, 480p->720p + better graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Many of the best selling games this gen aren't 720p. But many people who complain so loudly about it, wouldn't even know it at all if someone hadn't told them.

Hitting a check box number doesn't necessarily equate to a better looking end product. There are a number of 1080p games this gen, they aren't generally touted as anything near the best looking. I'd rather they do better pixels than just aim for 1080p, if they can hit 1080p, great, but I want the best looking game, not the best they can do at a required 1080.

EDIT: I know that is not only 720p->1080p, it is more resolution and better graphics (both), but Microsoft did it with Xbox 360, 480p->720p + better graphics.

No matter what, with equal hardware they will always have more power available per-pixel if they lower the resolution of their render targets. Resolution isn't free in the world pixel/fragment shaders. So, if you can drop the resolution as a trade-off for "better" pixels, why wouldn't you, especially if you don't think the resolution will be noticed (a good trade)?

And I do think the hardware is going to be limited such that the only way they can get significantly "better" pixels, compared to current gen, will be to target a resolution lower than 1080p.

Many of the best selling games this gen aren't 720p. But many people who complain so loudly about it, wouldn't even know it at all if someone hadn't told them.

Hitting a check box number doesn't necessarily equate to a better looking end product. There are a number of 1080p games this gen, they aren't generally touted as anything near the best looking. I'd rather they do better pixels than just aim for 1080p, if they can hit 1080p, great, but I want the best looking game, not the best they can do at a required 1080.

Some games as Halo 4, Forza Horizon, Gears of War 3 or The Witcher 2 are 720p, even some of them has AA. And I'm not talking about "poor graphics" games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back