Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pictures may have been of a genuine dev kit, but that doesn't mean anything this guy said about it was accurate.

Yup. Guess that's what I was trying to say in a million words.

Like I said main takeaway for me is "hey, maybe there's Intel and/or Nvidia inside, now wait a long time to find out".

It's kind of odd there are kits out, and people leak things, yet we still dont know much about Durango.

I still stick with lherre against any other of the rumors about Durango. He said the CPU is not PPC (note this doesnt rule out Intel) and hinted (strongly) at 8GB RAM which is also BG's info.

Like I said main takeaway for me is "hey, maybe there's Intel and/or Nvidia inside, now wait a long time to find out".

It's kind of odd there are kits out, and people leak things, yet we still dont know much about Durango.

I still stick with lherre against any other of the rumors about Durango. He said the CPU is not PPC (note this doesnt rule out Intel) and hinted (strongly) at 8GB RAM which is also BG's info.

I think the 1st info he gave you was real but when you questioned him & said you heard it was AMD he just gave into it in a believe what you want to believe kinda way.

The pictures may have been of a genuine dev kit, but that doesn't mean anything this guy said about it was accurate.
Maybe but I don't see why he would try to deceive people. I mean its kind of odd how people flock to believe completely random rumors that have no kind of proof what-so-ever but be so quick to shun someone who can at least somewhat prove he is privileged to info.

Or maybe he can't/won't say exact specs.

BTW onQ, you said at GAF that someone from B3D already said its Nvidia. Can you provide link please?

Or maybe he can't/won't say exact specs.

BTW onQ, you said at GAF that someone from B3D already said its Nvidia. Can you provide link please?

it was antwan but looking back at it he was talking about the PS4

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1657100&postcount=24

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1657044#post1657044

Maybe RSX2 is a low power GTX 680 with slightly lower bandwidth?
Nvidia is definitely not out out of the next generation game yet.

Maybe I live in a country where the most graphically intensive console game ever (at least up until 2009 / release) was developed. And maybe people who work there are friends of mine since primary school. Maybe they, as a first party developer already have knowledge of the supposed specs. Maybe they were even complaining about a 2GB memory limit, with regards to the current memory footprint. :rolleyes:

(Hint: don't count nvidia out)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just doing a C&P from my post on GAF.

Not saying it's impossible as there is still time, but based on what I've learned this year I highly doubt MS changed to an Intel/nVidia combo. In fact a very key part is being ignored.

Beyond that, further information is sketchy and unreliable. DaE reckons that the current devkits were dispatched to studios in February, and feature Intel CPUs and a graphics card that carries the NVIDIA brand - but he doesn't identify either part more specifically.

He's apparently guessing.

Intel cpu is awesome....haswell i5 on 22nm and AVX2 wow! AMD jaguar cores ain't got nothing on this....Haswell cpu assuming is 65w...gpu nvidia 660TI class at 120w..so only 185w and some leftover for xenos/xenon soc for BC and some background tasks?...remember that slide about dual cpus....i hope Sony is as aggressive as this..
Perhaps some Xeon Phi / Knights Corner cores thrown in? ;)

Just doing a C&P from my post on GAF.

Not saying it's impossible as there is still time, but based on what I've learned this year I highly doubt MS changed to an Intel/nVidia combo. In fact a very key part is being ignored.

He's apparently guessing.
I dunno BG...He has dev kit right in front of him, I guess he should know.

BTW, Dae guy surely is strange, but checking assemblergames forums, he had whole lot of dev kits and he doesn't strike me as guy who doesn't know what he is talking about like dev kit just fall in his hand right out of the blue sky.

I dunno BG...He has dev kit right in front of him, I guess he should know.

BTW, Dae guy surely is strange, but checking assemblergames forums, he had whole lot of dev kits and he doesn't strike me as guy who doesn't know what he is talking about like dev kit just fall in his hand right out of the blue sky.

He's guessing though. It would be different if the article said he gave that info from the SDK or he opened it up himself. Not saying it couldn't change, but considering he also guessed it came out in February leads me to believe it hasn't changed because the AMD CPU info started coming out around or a little after that.

what kind of CPU+GPU do you guys expect if MS really goes for Intel+NVIDIA?

if microsoft wants many low-power cores, they could go for an 8-core silvermont based (next gen atom) chip, especially if it supports AVX like AMD's jaguar cores will. If they want less but more powerfull cores they could go with something like a 4-core/8 thread haswell based chip (a quad-core haswell at reasonable clocks without the integrated graphics should be pretty power efficient, even at load)..

on NVIDIA's side, how would a cut-down GK104 fare as a console GPU?
the mobile 100W TDP GTX680M has 1344 SPs @ 720 MHz..

http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=1660845

Same CPU and GPU but diff RAM?

Don´t think so...

specs-1.jpg

Xbox Durango and Playstation Orbis have both changed recently...

Durango -> "I don't know the name"
4 Power7 cores + 2 ARM cores(2010) -> 4 AMD Jaguar cores(2012)
48+16 VLIW4 SPs(2010) -> 192 GCN SPs(2012)

Orbis -> Thebe-Jaguar
4 AMD Steamroller cores(2011) -> 4 AMD Jaguar cores(2012)
128 GCN SPs(2011) -> 192 GCN SPs(2012)
(year) is the date it was changed to...

Sony's version will be optimized for SonyGL 3.0/OpenGL 4.2
Microsoft's version will be optimized for DirectX 11.1

The Jaguar SoC for both consoles will not be the same as the Jaguar SoC for consumers.
AMD Jaguar vs Sony/Microsoft Jaguar
H1 2013 vs H1 2014
LP-DDR3/DDR3 vs DDR4(estimated clock is 2133 MHz 10-10-10-20 1.2v)
For x86 consumer markets vs specialized versions tweaked for each company
HSA 3/4ths vs HSA Complete

Jaguar 4c SoC: ~$50
2 Sticks of DDR4: ~$100
Raytracer: ~$150
Design packaging: $50

~$450 isn't bad...

He also said something about a Ray-Tracer I want that to be true :cool:

Soo...let me get this straight. MS and Sony are releasing exact same consoles? Yea, I don't think thats the case. After this last leak, I think its very logical to assume MS could get the deal with Nvidia (since its not in their interest to give their competitor all 3 console manufacturers) considering the fact that all the major 3rd party developers are using Nvidia hardware for their next gen engines. Plus, now Nvidia has GF/W equality with AMD, but noticeable performance advantage.

Soo...let me get this straight. MS and Sony are releasing exact same consoles? Yea, I don't think thats the case. After this last leak, I think its very logical to assume MS could get the deal with Nvidia (since its not in their interest to give their competitor all 3 console manufacturers) considering the fact that all the major 3rd party developers are using Nvidia hardware for their next gen engines. Plus, now Nvidia has GF/W equality with AMD, but noticeable performance advantage.

This also came out recently.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2012/07/24/key-console-player-leaves-amd-for-nvidia/

Feldstein’s group has also locked up a spot in the next generation XBox and PlayStation, which have yet to be unveiled; as well as Nintendo’s next-generation Wii U, which was first unveiled last year. The work with Sony is known inside AMD as ‘Project Thebes.’

Again not saying things couldn't change, but DAE's guess is the only time this year where we've heard of Intel and nVidia.

Forbes, for whatever the reason, watches internet forums like GAF on regular basis. They had some other stories taken directly from forums.

Its not that I don't believe you, but here we have the case where developer/modder? has legit dev kits from next gen system. We also know he had lots of 360 ones, and that he is pretty tech-y guy. He comes of as rude, trollish and immature, but that could very well be his way of not getting in trouble.

You think they would go with a different vendor just for the sake of being different? The 680 isn't going in a console, so the (small) perf/w advantage there is meaningless.

Forbes, for whatever the reason, watches internet forums like GAF on regular basis. They had some other stories taken directly from forums.

Its not that I don't believe you, but here we have the case where developer/modder? has legit dev kits from next gen system. We also know he had lots of 360 ones, and that he is pretty tech-y guy. He comes of as rude, trollish and immature, but that could very well be his way of not getting in trouble.

I understand. It's just that for me it would have been different if the article said he wasn't "reckoning" what was in it. And with signs pointing to GlobalFoundries fabbing the chips, that adds to my belief that it's staying with AMD.

You think they would go with a different vendor just for the sake of being different? The 680 isn't going in a console, so the (small) perf/w advantage there is meaningless.
No, but having exact same console as your competitor doesn't make much sense from marketing point of view. I doubt MS would be comfortable going against Sony with just two differences, controller and having to pay for on-line.

MS is going where they can negotiate a good deal for great piece of hardware, thats obvious. And if they think Nvidia has something they are looking for at the moment, they are going to aim for that.

And it doesn't have to be GTX680, why not GTX670? It noticeably outperforms Pitcairn and it even has lower TDP. Or, maybe they will have Maxwell cards ready for nextbox launch, I dunno but its not like Nvidia is crap at GFLOPS per Watt anymore. They certainly aren't, on contrary. And performance wise, they are currently having AMD beaten.

I understand. It's just that for me it would have been different if the article said he wasn't "reckoning" what was in it. And with signs pointing to GlobalFoundries fabbing the chips, that adds to my belief that it's staying with AMD.
Has someone with info you know said GF are fabricating the chips? Because I read SA article mentioning that Durango chips are in production, must be half a year ago at least. I don't think thats credible and I don't think IGN rumor suggesting similar was credible. This though...He has dev kit confirmed to be legit by some developers working on it, and you can't get any more credible than that I would assume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back