Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virtual memory is considered a no-go on console boxes. Console devs like knowing that if they ask for a piece of memory, they will get it in a very predictable way. If you ask for some ram and hit a page fault, you got yourself a stutter right there.

PS3 has a built in hard drive, and I suspect it has no virtual memory.

Having standardised internal flash memory would solve that. 16GB has been thrown around. Even at 150-200MB/s that's pretty good (I'm not sure what such small quantities can achieve).

well lets put it this way, can anybody link to postings where lherre said Durango>Orbis?

It's always a misinterpetation, he's never actually said that.

Virtual memory is considered a no-go on console boxes. Console devs like knowing that if they ask for a piece of memory, they will get it in a very predictable way. If you ask for some ram and hit a page fault, you got yourself a stutter right there.

PS3 has a built in hard drive, and I suspect it has no virtual memory.

aha, the puzzle is solved :p

well lets put it this way, can anybody link to postings where lherre said Durango>Orbis?

It's always a misinterpetation, he's never actually said that.

From a spanish forum (nov 2011):

Sorprender en cuanto a potencia. Y esto contesta a don boqueronn, ser equilibrado no quiere decir que no vayan a barrer a las actuales maquinas. De wiiu ando esperando nueva info.

Las "target" specs que he visto de ps4 (los pc's que son los primeros kits por así decirlo) son del orden de 10x ps3 en cuanto a potencia bruta de cpu y gpu ... Y esto es siempre menos potente que el hardware final con los modelos definitivos. Y Xbox NeXT es aun mas bestia por lo que me han comentado. Por lo tanto ya digo que sorprenderá en ese sentido cuando todos auguran "poco salto" tecnológico.

PS4 dev kits = 10x PS3
Xbox "Next" dev kits = even more powerful than PS4 dev kits.

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_nint...o-consolas-para-jugadores-casual_1693082_s120

Yeah, as the quotes I posted earlier show,iherre does seem to think that Durango is going to be more powerful than PS4. This might have changed recently though.

There's also the general tone of rumours than 720 is going to be better than PS4 and the IGN developer survey.

I also don't see how MS given their position compared to Sony, will release a significantly less powerful machine - at the very least it'll match the PS4.

Crytek wanted 8gb of RAM and apparently Microsoft might do it.

siTVH.jpg

Crytek wanted 4x the GPU performance of a NV590. I guess that would be around Maxwell level? What is ATI's roadmap equivalent to Maxwell?

R0E1k.jpg

We know Square Enix wants lots of RAM and Blu-Ray doesn't have enough storage capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, as the quotes I posted earlier show,iherre does seem to think that Durango is going to be more powerful than PS4. This might have changed recently though.

Yes. It has changed recently imo.

There's also the general tone of rumours than 720 is going to be better than PS4 and the IGN developer survey.

I dont see any general tone of rumors. The strongest older Durango rumor seemed to be IGN's 6670 in Durango...which is weaksauce. IGN survey, Devs said they expected 720 to be easiest to work with and sell best, nothing on power (unless you infer it from those statements)

You can if you have no virtual memory, if unused pages can't be swapped out, then a lot of apps start using tons of memory.
I find that hard to believe. I may b e wrong, but I stil find that hard to believe. ;) We've had fully multiasking OSes running in KBs or MBs for as long as computers. A tablet with 1GB working RAM can multitask multiple apps and switch instantly between them. What sort of functions or processes has a web browser or map app or eBook or calculator or whatever apps people will be running (typically small applications) that can consume great bogs of RAM without relying on assets like video and massive images?

You don't really need a fast hdd to play multiple hd streams. Even blurays at 40megabit/sec peak are far off the peak of even slower harddrives which can read at 90 megabytes/sec.
Fast as in seek. If you're playing a game streaming assets from HDD, and then two video streams fire up dragging the head away from your game data, you'll not be amused. ;)

Regarding memory, maybe they are intending the console to be a multi user device this time where a whole family can use it at the same time perhaps via surface/tablet/phone, even while someone is using it via the tv. So maybe they want each user to have 1 megabyte or so to themselves for whatever they want to do.
I'm just not feeling this. The suggestion is the console becomes a mainframe server, and everyone's expensive smart device is used as a dumb terminal. Um...why? I can understanding streaming media, but that's not going to need 3 GBs RAM. And sounds too intrusive for the game, potentially. Unless the RAM works as a massive cache, with game data stored will in advance and large chunks of media cached so the HDD head isn't thrashed. I don't see where people would prefer to stream apps though, and the biggest issue there would be processing performance, I'm sure. The more complex apps needing more RAM are going to have signifcant impact on the processing available. Are MS going to reserve 50% of the CPU and GPU for background functionality as well?

I'm needing to hear what sort of apps and services XB3 could be serving to be convinced it's a good strategy. At the moment it just sounds like a combination of trying to justify 8 GBs with OS rumours and a general notion of MS trying to differentiate without a good reason for that differentiation. In fact this XB3 being described sounds like a PC doing the job of a PC. :???:

PS4 dev kits = 10x PS3
Xbox "Next" dev kits = even more powerful than PS4 dev kits.

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_nint...o-consolas-para-jugadores-casual_1693082_s120

Are you sure that was "even more powerful than PS4 devkits", or "even more powerful."

He may have been implying something like this:

PS4 = 10x PS3

& Durango is even more powerful than Xbox 360 (perhaps referring more to the CPU).

I dunno... it seems as though he's not saying anything like this anymore however. His comments lately have been more in line with what bgassassin has said about both devkits.

Also, he has said that the Durango is more firmed out than PS4, and PS4 is more subject to change.

So the beastly CPU, 1-1.5TF GPU and 8GB DDR3 for Durango may already be set in stone.

Are you sure that was "even more powerful than PS4 devkits", or "even more powerful."

He may have been implying something like this:

PS4 = 10x PS3

& Durango is even more powerful than Xbox 360 (perhaps referring more to the CPU).

I dunno... it seems as though he's not saying anything like this anymore however. His comments lately have been more in line with what bgassassin has said about both devkits.

Also, he has said that the Durango is more firmed out than PS4, and PS4 is more subject to change.

So the beastly CPU, 1-1.5TF GPU and 8GB DDR3 for Durango may already be set in stone.

How trusty are these rumours?. As I know in Spain there is only a studio that could have next gen dev kits ( Mercury Steam ) and they are now full time with Lord of Shadows 2 for this gen...

Sigh, I always assumed lherre worked for Ubisoft. A french studio. Could be wrong. Anyways we should be careful about revealing too much about lherre for his sake.

R0E1k.jpg

What do they mean "Consider cut: EDRAM limits"? Is this another dev not liking EDRAM or?

Can you point me that presentation?

It's speculation on top of speculation at that point, but these are rumored 8000 series /Sea Islands specs.

23jreid.png

Since I've always assumed the actual GPU in Durango would be a 8000 series not a 7k series, well the Mars units look pretty tasty, and more punchy than Cape Verde. 768 SP's beats the 640 in HD7770.

PS4 dev kits = 10x PS3
Xbox "Next" dev kits = even more powerful than PS4 dev kits

Even if more insider reported as said above
still many don't believe it.

What they believe is mostly:
If ms has better cpu then the ram must be DDR3
and the GPU have to be weak ????

The 6670 and 6x 7x magic word always comes up
even if most 2011 insider they already surpassed 10x (better than ps4)

So newer devkit probably go even further.

Even if more insider reported as said above
still many don't believe it.

What they believe is mostly:
If ms has better cpu then the ram must be DDR3
and the GPU have to be weak ????

The 6670 and 6x 7x magic word always comes up
even if most 2011 insider they already surpassed 10x (better than ps4)

So newer devkit probably go even further.

What other insiders? The above quoted was by Iherre and according to Rangers even he isn't saying that anymore. It seems Iherre was initially either misquoted or misunderstood. And even if not, his statement was so vague that there's nothing tangible to really take from it other than he has seen something about the two devkits which might make him to consider one above the other (how far is still up in the air).

You keep quoting the russian dude's "Durango is targeting 8970-levels" too, when that guy has already been proved a fake. You seem to be too much invested in taking and running with any smidgen of info. that might suggest Durango is more powerful than PS4. Can I ask you what you'll do if the converse turns out to be true, and PS4 ends up coming out on top?

Eitherway cteam, I think it's better to take a more reserved approach to ALL of these rumours. Even our beloved Iherre, cannot truly be vouched for as legit. If Durango comes out next year as a 3 core ARM-based tablet with PowerVR GPU, then it will prove that Iherre was a fake. My point is, nothing has been confirmed, so getting incensed over people not believing the rumours that you (for some reason) choose to believe are true seems a little premature to me.

It's speculation on top of speculation at that point, but these are rumored 8000 series /Sea Islands specs.

23jreid.png

Since I've always assumed the actual GPU in Durango would be a 8000 series not a 7k series, well the Mars units look pretty tasty, and more punchy than Cape Verde. 768 SP's beats the 640 in HD7770.

From semiaccurate (A guy claimed to be ATIinsider
from the news about AMD using Arm core)
AMD got the contract for both XBOX 720 & Playstation 4. I believe both will be based on the Trinity Cores with a modified GPU based on the HD 8000 series, not the HD 7000 series.

XBOX 720 = IBM’s 8-Core CPU and AMD’s HD 8000 Series GPU.
PS4 = AMD’s powered Trinity CPU based on the HD 8000 series GPU

I've been thinking about SSDs and next gen consoles lately. I really hope the next consoles go the all SSD route. I don't think it's as outrageous as people might think and long term, I think it maybe the better strategy.

Today, it's probably not a good idea to launch with an SSD due to price, but in a years time, I think we'll see prices plummet even further to the point where it maybe cheap enough to launch with a small SSD in one of the SKU's then launch with a small (by hard drive standards) HDD.

Granted this was retail on Newegg, but for 2.5 inch drives (not refurbished), there was a retail price floor of $60, you can get a 120GB-320GB drive for that price. I'm guessing the actual cost of the drive has a floor around $20-30 and I bet that an SSD's floor is much lower. When you sells 50+ million units, I think that can be a big difference, especially if you want to hit the lowest price point possible. My personal theory is that the cost of 2.5" drives will probably creep up over the next 5 years because I think laptops will move to all SSD solutions.

So if I were MS/Sony, I think I could launch one of the SKU's next year with a 120 GB SSD. Today you can get of those SSDs for $80-$90 (after rebate). Next year, I bet the retail price will be half that and low enough to launch. Some will say that 120GB is not enough, I think it's enough for the first year of product. 20GB is not enough for the 360 now, but it was good enough to launch with.

I'd rather have buy a launch SKU with a 120GB SSD then a 320GB HDD. I think the performance gains out weigh the size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back