NV34-NV31 Asus spec

Evildeus

Veteran
3 NV31 and 2 NV34 cards.... each are DX9 and OGL 1.4, whatever that means!

ASUSTeK V9520 Video Suite : FX 5200 à 250 MHz, 128 Mo DDR à 200 MHz, E/S Video, 2xDVI

ASUSTeK V9520/TD : FX 5200 à 250 MHz, 128 Mo DDR à 200 MHz, TV, DVI, VGA

ASUSTeK V9520Magic/T : FX 5200 à 250 MHz, 128 Mo DDR à 166 MHz, TV, DVI, VGA

ASUSTeK V9560 Ultra Video Suite : FX 5600 à 325 MHz, 128 Mo DDR à 275 MHz, E/S Video, 2xDVI

ASUSTeK V9560 Ultra/TD : FX 5600 à 325 MHz, 128 Mo DDR à 275 MHz, TV, DVI, VGA

http://www.hardware.fr/news/lire/05-03-2003/

Is it just me, or do these products look a bit underwhelming?
Of course, they are not out yet and they may turn out to be stunning performers, but the reports of the faster FX5600 model offering half the performance of the 400/400 FX5800 aren't all that encouraging particularly if typical marketing optimism is factored in.

Entropy

And notice the 250/200Mhz FX 5200 is pretty much what the rumored 5200 Regular is.
But, 250/166?! Woah, now *that's* low-end!

But where's the rumored FX 5200 Ultra :?: Maybe ASUS wasn't interested in it, or it simply doesn't exist...

Uttar

Someone around here (MuFu?) suggested that 275 Mhz would be the high-end for NV31 memory, due to some PCB change that must occur with higher memory clocks that requires additional cost.

Looks like that may turn out to be right.

Incidentally, that would also explain why ATI liked the 275 Mhz limit for their past mid-range cards, like the 8500 and 9700 non-pro and 9500 boards.

Though we've heard that ATI's new mid-range products (RV350 push past that limit, at least for one variant).

Firsts pictures:

nv31-1.jpg

nv31-2.jpg

( http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/ )

Joe DeFuria said:
Someone around here (MuFu?) suggested that 275 Mhz would be the high-end for NV31 memory, due to some PCB change that must occur with higher memory clocks that requires additional cost.

Looks like that may turn out to be right.

Yeah - active memory termination, which basically requires a more complex/expensive PCB. Same thing as Ti4200 vs. Ti4400/TI4600 - the latter requires it (at-speed), the former doesn't. Subsequentally, the Ti4200 uses a simpler board and costs are kept down. You can argue about performance/cost cause & effect "truths" for ages though... :LOL:

I was talking to somebody that worked on NV34 & NV31 recently. The NV34 PCB is only 4 layers, has 8 TSOP chips on one side and the entire B.O.M. costs under $8! Lots of other crappy cost-cutting measures too - heatsink on an under-spec GPU volt reg (?!) etc.

They may have recently decided to boost memory clocks to over 300MHz+ for the 5600 & 5200 Ultra due to pressure from the marketing dept (no doubt in light of competition from ATi). While that is technically possible, the B.O.M. costs would have to go up to cater for it (4>>>6 layer boards + cost of additional components for VTT).

MuFu.

Edit - sp

P.S. Can't see that pic, grrr...

Edit - ok, now I can. Hmm... that is one UGLY board. :LOL:

That board is P140: High-end NV31, 8 layer, active term. The plastic connector in the top LH corner is a multimedia header that allows I2C and composite video to be passed from an external tuner board into the Philips capture chip.

There is a low-end PCB designated P141 that has no VTT, is much more compact and only 6 layers. NV34, NV31 and NV18b are all pin-compatible so I have no idea what it is for.

The low-cost NV34 board (~250/200MHz) I mentioned earlier is P161.

All just guesses of course. ;)

MuFu.

MuFu said:
The NV34 PCB is only 4 layers, has 8 TSOP chips on one side and the entire B.O.M. costs under $8!

I'm sure the entire BOM isn't under $8. Its probably the BOM minus the GPU and memory chips.

I don't think they are underwhelming if they are designed to replace the GeforceMX. Personally, anything that hastens the demise of DX7 and gets DX9 cards into the < $100 market is a good thing, regardless of whether or not it can beat a GF4200 or Radeon8500.

DemoCoder said:
I don't think they are underwhelming if they are designed to replace the GeforceMX. Personally, anything that hastens the demise of DX7 and gets DX9 cards into the < $100 market is a good thing, regardless of whether or not it can beat a GF4200 or Radeon8500.

Absolutely. And if it will fit into a BX motherboard (my Linux box) all the better. If the NV34 is a legitimate mass-market DX9 card I will forgive NVidia all their NV30 sins (I'm sure NVidia will be really relieved to hear that :))

I think if developers are going to produce DX9 content, they want everyone at least to be able to see it potentially, even if a lot of people are going to have to turn it off in order to get acceptable frame rates.

its pains me to agree

Well as much as I've disagreed with nvidias marketing approach I cant help but salute them just as I did when ATI placed DX8 in the lower segments. Alas for ATI they missed the opportunity this time round and I hope it doesn't come back and bite them.

DemoCoder said:

Yes, my sakes I couldn't agree more. But if it is a poor performing DX9 card then um I would pass, I think I am more interested in the 5600pro though. Oh what the hell am I talking about, :oops: I would take anything better then my GeforceDDR..with full DX8.1a compliance. argh. :!:

Re: its pains me to agree

Seiko said:
Well as much as I've disagreed with nvidias marketing approach I cant help but salute them just as I did when ATI placed DX8 in the lower segments. Alas for ATI they missed the opportunity this time round and I hope it doesn't come back and bite them.

ATI is on their second go at DX9 cards, another 6 months or so they will be on their third, I think the trickle down effect will take care of that, and with cards that can actually do a credible job at the task.

Where I think NVIDIA will do well is on the overclocking aspect of their cards. People like bigger numbers, even if it doesn't mean a lot.

Joe DeFuria said:
Still has a power connector? :?

Not sure if anybody noticed this, but the power connector seems to be gone (or maybe I'm blind, but I can't see one): http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20030313/cebit2003_1-17.html
Never understood why they needed one in the first place (the now announced NV31-M has the exact same clockspeed as the FX 5600 Ultra, so maximum power consumption should be at least comparable, though lower due to decreased voltages on the mobile part - and the mobile part sure won't draw 20W!)

And btw, that 79$ DX9 card (9520/T) really looks like it has only a 64bit memory bus, though last time I mentioned it nobody seemed to believe it...
(I could still be wrong, they could use 4 4Mx32 chips, two at the front and two at the back, but those simple&cheap pcbs which have such low numbers of ram chips tended to use 8Mx16 chips in the past).

But the pictures for the 5200 normal have 8 chips on them?

edit: hrm. Not that pic, but the ones at hardocp, etc.

Back