Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too be honest I just threw a random ram number out there lol. I don't know, I'm kind thinking we are going to need 8 gb ram, but that isn't going to happen, however with the obvious move to the cloud coming in the next few years you will only need to kit the machine out for 3-4 years....special perhaps 4gb would do it.

Even 4GB would be quite expensive, requiring 256bit membus opposed to 128bit (or could it be done with 128bit in clamshell mode? not quite sure really, but good luck fitting 16 memchips on the board)

Guys what's that http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/18/fresh-microsoft-leak-details-xbox-tablet ?
They talk about a tablet but the specs are good for a home console, what do u think ?
Tdp 380 watt ;D

Surface is their experimental table device.
MS_Surface_UK_launch_x460.jpg

Even 4GB would be quite expensive, requiring 256bit membus opposed to 128bit (or could it be done with 128bit in clamshell mode?

Yes
good luck fitting 16 memchips on the board)

Not that hard. Clamshell is meant to be used with the chips on the opposite side of the PCP, because it gives you short, determistic distance difference between the traces to the two chips. (GDDR5 chips can actually be used in "mirror mode", where all the pins act like the chip was mirrored in place, so you can just mount the chips directly on the other side, tie together all the pins trough the PCP and you're good.)

So, you'd just have to layout for 8 of them. Given the relaxed restrictions on trace lengths, I think that might actually be easier than doing the layouts for the last-gen consoles, where every pin on every chip had to be at the same distance.

Yeah, if its real it would be the next xbox and not a side product. Would be weird to announce it today, as has been speculated, considering smartglass hasn't even launched. Could just be another competing 720 proposal, though.

(*) Basically all performance critical processing done in games is done to huge amount of separate entities. You have X objects in the game world, you need to determine which X objects are currently visible, you need to determine collisions of X objects, you need to simulate physics for X objects, you need to render X objects to screen, you need to animate X objects, you need to simulate AI for X objects, you need to animate/render X particles, you need to check X triggers, you need to perform X ray casts, etc, etc. Often the X is in range [100, 10000]. There's plenty of potential parallelism. One core, two cores, sixteen cores, 32 cores... it doesn't matter much if your engine is fully designed to exploit data based parallelism.

That's fine if you have no shared state between any of your objects, but if that was the case, you wouldn't have much of a game. :) A lot of game logic has shared state and requires synchronization -- things like path planning, collision, AI (decision trees with dependencies). The most embarrassingly parallel part of a game is the rendering, and that's what we have GPUs for.

Yeah, if its real it would be the next xbox and not a side product. Would be weird to announce it today, as has been speculated, considering smartglass hasn't even launched. Could just be another competing 720 proposal, though.

That spec list is so fake, it's not even worth discussing.

12 Power7 cores with 16 MBs PSRAM? 2.6 MB cache per core (31.2 MBs total)? 256 GB 10k SCSI HDD. That's proper faking for you - a simple one-off image or doc, quick and easy to make, full of insane specs.

Yeah, no. Different people said that. This one is completely implausible.

So is the hardware in the other doc, unless you want to explain to me what the "64 ALU" GPU is and what AMD model contains it is, or where one acquires "Arm/x86" cores. Both of which I'm willing to bet money the actual Durango will not ship with. In fact, the "tablet" specs are probably at least as reasonable, were they for a console rather than a supposed Surface or tablet.

It now appears the document is real, but it doesn't make the tech specs in it any less ridiculous and those of us who did were right to doubt it.

The other document looked like something that would be circulated internally. Having worked for MS it looked pretty real to me, and it included details of the long term plan that I was aware of and haven't been heavily discussed.

I'm not sure what the tablet page would be from, it's got too much detail for a press release or a hardware overview, I just don't know who the consumer of such a document would be except people speculating on a forum :p

The other document looked like something that would be circulated internally. Having worked for MS it looked pretty real to me, and it included details of the long term plan that I was aware of and haven't been heavily discussed.

Right, but initially as far as I remember just the hardware slides "leaked" and as a stand alone that was a headscratcher to say the least and looked completely implausible (still does mostly, as I said I do not think Durango will ship looking like that).

steviep has kind of hinted around/theorized he thinks bc may already be out of the design, i certainly hope so as that would be a start in cleaning that mess up and making it presentable (and also probably necessary if they're serious about $225 BOM).

'Course, that's what people said about the 720 planning doc...
You may ahve included an invisible wink smilie there, but there's a world of difference. This single page, easily cobbled together, baseless fanboy dreamfest is the common-or-garden spoof, easily identifiable for exagerated proportions and lack of form, and a sense of a lack of clear, natural habitat (as ERP says, who was the audience needing this doc?). Doesn't even need photochopping skillzorz to pull it off. It's forum-fodder, click-magnet stuff. I'd kinda hope this sort of stuff wouldn't even make it onto B3D.

So is the hardware in the other doc, unless you want to explain to me what the "64 ALU" GPU is and what AMD model contains it is, or where one acquires "Arm/x86" cores.

ALU is probably referring to a vector unit (64 as opposed to the 48 in the 360) and Arm/x86 is probably denoting two possible options rather than a special hybrid Arm and x86 cpu.

You may ahve included an invisible wink smilie there, but there's a world of difference. This single page, easily cobbled together, baseless fanboy dreamfest is the common-or-garden spoof, easily identifiable for exagerated proportions and lack of form, and a sense of a lack of clear, natural habitat (as ERP says, who was the audience needing this doc?). Doesn't even need photochopping skillzorz to pull it off. It's forum-fodder, click-magnet stuff. I'd kinda hope this sort of stuff wouldn't even make it onto B3D.

Oh, sure. I just bristle at the suggestion that something doesn't merit any consideration. That's the kind of attitude that made a lot of people look foolish over the weekend.

In this case the faking hurdle is obviously much lower and a lot of the details are preposterous. 22.2 digital sound doesn't bother me, but all the weird fractional memory and cache amounts are nonsensical.

Amd did recently reveal that there will be arm cores on thier future chips to provide trustzone drm.

And they already sell the hd6530d fusion graphics 320 shaders vec5... coukd explain the 64 alu bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
And they already sell the hd6530d fusion graphics 320 shaders vec5... coukd explain the 64 alu bit.

What I find amusing is that the "64ALUs @ 1Ghz" essentially allows them to bump the current gen to 1080p (twice ROP speed, 2.67x shading throughput for at least 2.25x increase in pixel load). How the person leaps to ~8x is rather laughable and naive (8x the RAM? 2.67x GPU + >2x CPU cores + >3x eDRAM? None of it makes sense. :p).

Anyways, a 56-page document with only two or three slides on the specs kind of tells you not to focus on it so much even if one or two items might carry through to the end. ;) What's important is the rest of the document with the brainstorm of ideas for their overall strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back