Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, they also mention an "Xbox 361" low cost version to launch in 2012 "for every room in your house"... Fits nicely with the Loop rumor of a Roku/AppleTV competitor.

You don't know what to think because in the 18 months Kinect has been out and in 30 months of game development MS hasn't really shown anything ground breaking. Some fun things yes, but not a paradigm shift away from standard gaming (be it with a gamepad, kb ms on a PC, a mouse in a browser window, touch pad on an iPhone, etc). Kinect as it stands has had a lot of lateral moves and I haven't seen any software that indicates developers have an idea of how to take the next step. It is easy to blame the hardware (too low resolution, not fast enough response time, not enough bandwidth, not enough processing power, etc) but it seems to me without a controller or another device it is like waggle on steroids. Very cool concept--and great for games like Kinect Sports--but I don't see anything in Kinect that makes me think an entire platform should be built around it.

Kind of like the same problem Metro is having IMO. Nice for a Mobile phone and some touch devices but it is a backwards move for my PC tasks.

Rumored PS4 specs are in the same ballpark with these. 8x360 (with CPU and GPU) would end up ~2700 GFLOPS. If we go by heavily rumored ~1.8 TFLOP PS4 GPU, than it should be pretty close.

120W and $299 with kinect?

This is nowhere 8x even in theory. These slides could be before the rumored huge bumb + no low cost 360 announced yet

I also don't quite understand why are they betting on Kinect so much? Is this something akin to Apple approach where you are told that you need something to make your life easier when its actually the other way around?

120W and $299 with kinect?

This is nowhere 8x even in theory. These slides could be before the rumored huge bumb + no low cost 360 announced yet

They are probably year old judging by "2011-2013 roadmap" part.

The most interesting aspect is the Kinect glasses that's coming in 2014. I've had this idea for an augmented reality glasses to be used with kinect, where the HUD and other elements is projected outside of the TV viewing space. Users can interact with simple 3D shapes in space with kinect. I.E. Taking an item out of a floating inventory bag and giving it to a NPC on screen.

Yea, and its most likely fake :smile: Can't believe someone would go through all this trouble for this.

You really think this is fake?

All I know is this document is exactly what I don't want for a next gen system. Forget recording TV in the background, SMH. I only hope there has been some major revisions since this was first put together.

Essentially one updated Xenos and another with a third more pipelines and at twice the frequency... huh.

Not sure what I think of that being real, but I think a system like that would tank. Then again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back