Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is going to lie to developers about what they are going to deliver.
Even when you ship them devkits with radically different performance than the final design, You still convey the final design to devs.
Sometimes specs change, occasionally significantly, rarely do they improve.

I don't know how MS has clamped down on leaks this time, the 360 leak came the day after a briefing with EA, there were probably 100 people in the room, maybe they encouraged companies like EA to reduce the number of people disclosed.
Few things stay secret after significant numbers of 3rd parties have access to devkits and start development in earnest. Too many people have to be involved including poorly paid ones like testers. My guess is that has to happen soon if they are targeting 2013.

I have a number of typos and see I didn't explain myself well at all (e.g. frequency should have been resolution... oy vey for being tired). What I had more in mind is this:

* MS knows they are leaky.
* MS also knows they, at some point, have to include developers (leakers).
* MS's last console saw a progression in GPUs put into dev kits, i.e. the first dev kit does not need a GPU matching the end product (which may not be feasible and is expensive).
* Scenario: MS has plans for 1080p TSRs (doubtful); 720p is roughly half the resolution of 1080p, so they could squeak in a half performance GPU in early dev kits. With key personnel they could communicate the desired end goal but keep more fuzzy "broadcast" specs, i.e. what is in the dev kit with little need to disclose what the final target is. As you noted your low level testers need not know that what they are seeing in the dev kit is different from the end product (which is common enough).

If the goal is to prevent leaks and game the competition I don't see why mass leaking is that hard. The problem I see is more with shared contracts at AMD. Hence Dave had commented that services, and less so hardware, would differentiate.

While I am not saying MS has some sneaky effort to confuse Sony (like the above) I do think it is pretty clear they have been leaking conflicting data. And it isn't hard to use shifting dev kit hardware to confuse. I wasn't trying to imply last second wholesale changes or keeping developers in the dark, to the contrary using developers as part of the leak strategy.

I heard u liek cores, so we put cores in ur cores, so u can compute while u compute. Yeah, right... Tell me another one whydoncha. :LOL:

From now on, everybody's gonna have to put cores in their cores to be able to compete with microsoft... :rolleyes:
Nextbox: Epic Mealtime edition! :)

I suppose that's the next logical step.
Infinite bandwidth is being pretty far-fetched. AFAIK the future plan is based on an infinite number of cores having an infinite number of registers between them which is an infinite amount of the fastest possible storage. Although the storage wouldn't be convenient for large problems, the infinity engine would be able to calculate how to turn any problem into a set of small, register and cache friendly problems, and solve them instantly. Instantly gaining sentience, inventing the time-machine, and evolving to a higher being. I wouldn't be surprised if God is a computer we'll invent in the future who goes back in time to start the universe.

Did I just argue God == PlayStation 5? :???:

Infinite bandwidth is being pretty far-fetched. AFAIK the future plan is based on an infinite number of cores having an infinite number of registers between them which is an infinite amount of the fastest possible storage. Although the storage wouldn't be convenient for large problems, the infinity engine would be able to calculate how to turn any problem into a set of small, register and cache friendly problems, and solve them instantly. Instantly gaining sentience, inventing the time-machine, and evolving to a higher being. I wouldn't be surprised if God is a computer we'll invent in the future who goes back in time to start the universe.

Yeah, God's game has pretty good graphics, but the gameplay is pretty boring. Yeah, the massive multiplayer system is quite impressive, but most of the time I'm going to school or to my job. Not a very fun game in my opinion.

Here's my (optimistic) prediction of a 'Next gen' console in brief,

AMD APU:
- 6 'Steamroller' x86 cores, 3 modules @ 3.2GHz (4.2GHz Turbo)
- Cape Verde derived '8' series, 8CU, 16ROPs @ 700MHz
- 4-8GB 128-bit DDR3 PTP @ 2GHz (32GB/s)
- Single/Dual core ARM A9/15 @ 1.5-2GHz
- 28nm, TDP ~120w

AMD GPU:
- Pitcairn successor '8' series, 20 CU, 32ROPs @ 900MHz
- 2GB GDDR5 256-bit @ 5GHz (160GB/s)
- 28nm TDP ~100w

Storage:
- 4 layer capable BD, 25-100GB disks
- 320GB-500GB 2.5" 5400rpm HDD
- 32GB Flash as a buffer for the BD/HDD

The APU's GPU is used for Physics and perhaps partial rendering in games, but otherwise it used as the primary GPU for GUI, multimedia playback, most light indie games and general tasks, the secondary GPU can be powered down for this, and even most of the CPU be power gated for general OS functionality relying on the ARM core(s) alone.

This system would be pretty pricey, but to me, the proven simplicity is favorable and the system as a whole covers all bases.

could Ray-Tracing be the main reason that Sony will not let go of the faster ram for more ram?

I think they have something mapped out the reason they are hung up on having GDDR5

could Ray-Tracing be the main reason that Sony will not let go of the faster ram for more ram?

I think they have something mapped out the reason they are hung up on having GDDR5

And what about using REYES? is this possible?

Here's my (optimistic) prediction of a 'Next gen' console in brief,

AMD APU:
- 6 'Steamroller' x86 cores, 3 modules @ 3.2GHz (4.2GHz Turbo)
- Cape Verde derived '8' series, 8CU, 16ROPs @ 700MHz
- 4-8GB 128-bit DDR3 PTP @ 2GHz (32GB/s)
- Single/Dual core ARM A9/15 @ 1.5-2GHz
- 28nm, TDP ~120w

AMD GPU:
- Pitcairn successor '8' series, 20 CU, 32ROPs @ 900MHz
- 2GB GDDR5 256-bit @ 5GHz (160GB/s)
- 28nm TDP ~100w

Storage:
- 4 layer capable BD, 25-100GB disks
- 320GB-500GB 2.5" 5400rpm HDD
- 32GB Flash as a buffer for the BD/HDD

The APU's GPU is used for Physics and perhaps partial rendering in games, but otherwise it used as the primary GPU for GUI, multimedia playback, most light indie games and general tasks, the secondary GPU can be powered down for this, and even most of the CPU be power gated for general OS functionality relying on the ARM core(s) alone.

This system would be pretty pricey, but to me, the proven simplicity is favorable and the system as a whole covers all bases.

Someone got the leaked Durango specs already. :D

A core within a core yet within a core.. must go deeper.

Yeah, God's game has pretty good graphics, but the gameplay is pretty boring. Yeah, the massive multiplayer system is quite impressive, but most of the time I'm going to school or to my job. Not a very fun game in my opinion.

But supernovas and stuff like that have the most stunning graphics. It's also a fun sandbox game to crash galaxies together (hint: ours)

But supernovas and stuff like that have the most stunning graphics. It's also a fun sandbox game to crash galaxies together (hint: ours)

The engine is awesome, but its barely used in the campaign you see. And the absence of a save system and one death = game over make for a quite frustrating experience for modern game standards.

Whats the best technology we can hope for in a next gen console coming out in 2013 with a $500 BOM? Assuming console manufactures pay a third of retail prices.

maybe they want to use it for more than just graphical tasks or they want it to be programmable so it can take on new tasks as needed in the future.

But that would be pointless, We have CPUs and GPUs for a reason.

By making Ray tracing run on a FPGA you are dooming it to slowness and for what? A CPU or GPU could handle most code a lot better.

But that would be pointless, We have CPUs and GPUs for a reason.

By making Ray tracing run on a FPGA you are dooming it to slowness and for what? A CPU or GPU could handle most code a lot better.

but there is also code that FPGA run a lot faster than GPUs & CPUs

Also I believe Raytracing and Reyes use the opposite paradigm then Sony is going for. I think they benefit more from a lot from large amounts memory then high bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back