Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's misleading to say that the ram is new tech. The ram in the HMC is traditional ram, the TSV on the bottom is proven tech.

A big challenge is cooling the stack properly.

Idk, reading more about it, it seems quite possible to be used in a console releasing in 2013. This is technology specifically developed to break the memory wall.
The Cell, XDR, and Blu-ray were bigger gambles.

HMC really looks cool.

What about Mejdrich cpu patents? (he is working as director of SOC architecture and principal architect Xbox).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still not convinced it will sell many Next boxes since kinnect 2 definitely won't be bundled. How could it? I mean they didn't include a hard drive in millions of this Gen units. And that's so much more important for the user, and arguably MS too for DL content.

Don't be so sure

This has been posted on Gamespot:

What I have put here is 99% the real cpu/eapu specs.. This is Microsoft goal. It is also what is available in the dev kits that are at E3.. If Microsoft show the Durango/720/8/loop this is what is behind these specs.. The final 2 gpu design final spec is not 100% known out of Microsoft rnd there target is HD8970 tech. The cpu pic is the real durango cpu/eapu but now that specs are leaking out over the next 4 days. It shows you the future.

Durango cpu specs

SOI -28nm 22nm by 2014
3.8ghz - 4.2ghz Turbo-core mode
4 SMT every core
1024 KiB L2 per core
8 VMX128 cores
120MiB EDRAM
There is 2 cores in every core. they are not stacked cores.
Durango cpu is an ultra enhanced apu,
DX11.1- 12.1 Upgradeable core logic
"BASIC" Durango cpu can support 12- 32/64 bit 1080p Render Targets "back buffer" 10/64 bits color and aa on all back buffers. 2k resolution and beyond. Cpu/apu and gpu/s can access the EDRAM on the fly. A massive amount of system Ram is also available "more then orbis" (note: suddenly PS4 could have less ram then Durango)

Summary : 8 Core (2 core per Core ?) = total 16 Core x 4 Thread
picture of Sample chip

0002z9dx

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I've been wondering about is the actual price of manufacturing the GPU to Sony/MS. e.g. say they both use the GTX 670 as their GPUs which retails for $399, what would the final cost of it be to Sony and MS? I take it it's closer to $200 than $399?

I hear the margins on the enthusiast gamer video cards is quite high. Although larger, more powerful GPUs are more expensive to manufacture. Yeah a new $400 retail card, I'd think the GPU itself could be ordered in mass quantities for 50% off or even less. But maybe someone else knows the arrangement ? Will Sony or MS own the rights to their new console GPU and have it manufactured or will they buy the GPU chips directs from an AMD factory ?

SOI -28nm 22nm by 2014
3.8ghz - 4.2ghz Turbo-core mode
4 SMT every core
1024 KiB L2 per core
8 VMX128 cores
120MiB EDRAM
There is 2 cores in every core. they are not stacked cores.
Durango cpu is an ultra enhanced apu,
DX11.1- 12.1 Upgradeable core logic
"BASIC" Durango cpu can support 12- 32/64 bit 1080p Render Targets "back buffer" 10/64 bits color and aa on all back buffers. 2k resolution and beyond. Cpu/apu and gpu/s can access the EDRAM on the fly. A massive amount of system Ram is also available "more then orbis" (note: suddenly PS4 could have less ram then Durango)

Summary : 8 Core (2 core per Core ?) = total 16 Core x 4 Thread
picture of Sample chip

0002z9dx

Turbo mode eh ?

8 VMX128 could assist with the graphics.

Looks like a beast. Considering the source, I'm skeptical. :D

it's wired i cant tell from specs if thats a power or a miss interpreted steamroller style CPU.

the confusing thing is 4 SMT every core.

4 modules with 2 cores with 2 128bit VMX units in the FPU with a turbo in the high 3ghz to 4 and 1024k L2 per core with HT sounds exactly like a bulldozer derived chip. 8 128bit VMX units would match the load store of bulldozer right now ( i would expect 256bit in the future for AVX 2?)

my question is how much of a jump is HT for AMD? given that there is so much register renaming pointers etc for power saving is HT an incremental addition or a massive undertaking? If they went HT then you would assume that the core would be 5/6/7 "way" depending on what they think a good balance of ALU to AGLU is.

What about that VG247 rumor on Durango? I know they were the first to leak setting of next GTA and the main theme of the game. Location was correct, and from trailer it seems theme is too.

The guy who posted the rumor said its 100% reliable, and it was much closer to what I would expect from console coming 8 years after their last one.

Seems legit. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Did you even read some of his early posts? Worst ramblings I've read.
Where do people even get this stuff? I mean all those details, who sits around making up random details like that? Do they think it makes it look more legit? Or are they just listening to the voices in their head?

What is up with MS? They are making me (my signature) look foolish. And here I was led to believe we may get some loose lips in the recent weeks :(

/me goes changes his signature.

Just to clarify the technology & numbering:

GDDR4/5 is derived from DDR3
GDDR3 is derived from DDR2

g-spec DDR3 != GDDR3/GDDR4/GDDR5. g-spec DDR3 or gDDR3 is simply normal DDR3 dies used in a no-connector/PtP topology and taking advantage of the inherent electrical benefits of such a situation.

Interface wise, GDDR5 shares almost nothing with DDR3.

Interface wise, GDDR5 shares almost nothing with DDR3.

Time for you to go correct wikipedia then... *shrug* :p

It seems the only relation was the 8n prefetch. They diverge in operation quite clearly though.

But thanks for the clarification. Never heard of g-spec before.

I don't know if this has been addressed, but can the 8GB reference on Durango be internal flash storage instead of system uma ram?

I heard it is RAM with dev kits having 12GB. Just a rumor though, we will see.

You've being PLAYED.

In my defense (a) MS has been a leaky ship for, what, 7 years running? And (b) the lack of leaks due to the increasing degree of information be spread to those outside of MS has also been surprising.

What about that VG247 rumor on Durango? I know they were the first to leak setting of next GTA and the main theme of the game. Location was correct, and from trailer it seems theme is too.

The guy who posted the rumor said its 100% reliable, and it was much closer to what I would expect from console coming 8 years after their last one.

Hmm. From what I understand they did break a couple big stories and were right. Reading through their pages that does seem odd. They seem to indicate 2 GPU's. Would that make sense? 2 of the 6670's and a good deal of ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back