Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Actual gaming" would probably draw more in a console, and 130W would be somewhere around the level of both the GPU and CPU in the 90nm Xbox 360. Nothing about the relative failure of early Xbox 360 and PS3 makes me think that we'll see an escalation of the PS360 heat/power/size/noise war.

I'm certain the chip's performance/watt would be higher in a console as well, not just higher over all.

If we stick with the same 200w TDP, which we have no evidence for, then I expect a better allocation of mm^2.

If it takes a nextgen console to be 1.5x bigger in size than a PS3 or 360 in order to match the ideal TDP limit then I'm happily all for it. Can this be a last ditch effort?

The Crytek Guy noted GPGPU being the next graphics renaissance is quite interesting. However if nextgen consoles are using AMD gpus then it sounds like that would cause some headaches with OpenCL. Apparently CUDA is far more widely spread and easy to code. Maybe things are better with 6000 or 7000 series?

The Crytek Guy noted GPGPU being the next graphics renaissance is quite interesting. However if nextgen consoles are using AMD gpus then it sounds like that would cause some headaches with OpenCL. Apparently CUDA is far more widely spread and easy to code. Maybe things are better with 6000 or 7000 series?
Perhaps we could see 'closer to metal' coding of GPGPU?
Should be quite interesting to allow very low level access as well as standard way trough CL.

Yeah things should really take off with a set hardware target obviously, this makes me think Crytek are gonna push Crysis 4 real hard.

I cant even imagine how good Crysis 4 will look on a true next gen box :oops:

The crytek guy's response was very carefully worded:

"I'm not going to comment on any next-generation consoles, but let's say you're making a console [and you need our input]," theorizes Carl Jones, who heads up Crytek's engine licensing business.

"We'd obviously be saying, 'Get a really powerful GPU in there, let us be able to do GPGPU effects.' I mean, man, what we're going to see over the next couple of years on PC, with GPGPU, is just going to blow your mind. It really is an exciting, exciting time. [Crytek CEO] Cevat Yerli has come out before and said that this is the next renaissance of graphics programming.

The fact he felt it necessary to include the disclaimer is practical proof they are already working with next gen (as if we didn't know). And it also pretty much means they already told MS and Sony the 2nd part, and were probably already complied with.

It's exciting :p

I'm already beginning to wonder when the first in development next gen game screens and/or video will leak. I'm prepared to be blown away.

Gamasutra article about what some prominent developers want in next gen. http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/167557/what_game_devs_want_from_nextgen_.php

The major themes

-a lot of power (Crytek, Epic, Dice etc keep pounding this theme)
-More connectivity/social integration
-More ability to do micro transactions, freemium, less bureaucracy, instant updates etc

These all seem to make a ton of sense to me. Nothing I can argue with.

So when asked, PC Developers would like consoles to be subsidized PC's, or better, just go away but leave the money. Oh and fix our broken code for us like gpu guys do. Yea that's a plan.:rolleyes:

One thing that was interesting,

"The guys are going to have the freedom to create bespoke rendering systems for whatever they want," he says. "You can have one rendering system for hair, one for skin, one for the bead of sweat on your brow, you'll be able to come up with complete solutions for each of those, and they'll be super efficient, running on high-end GPUs."

My reading of this is object oriented rendering. And maybe not just rendering but object oriented geometry as well. I'd love to see how this would play out. It's also something that has gone pretty much undiscussed around here.

My reading of this is object oriented rendering. And maybe not just rendering but object oriented geometry as well. I'd love to see how this would play out. It's also something that has gone pretty much undiscussed around here.
My guess is it hasn't been discussed because "OO rendering/geometry" simply makes no sense :)

r..e. OO rendering
It's how the cgi guys do it.

i've heard GPU's with function-pointers are on the way, can anyone with more detailed knowledge of gpu instruction sets & roadmaps comment ?

it seemed strange to me but i guess it will be like branching where if many threads go the same route its more efficient... and it could just be like switch statements in ubershaders

the thought of pixel shaders actually fetching more code on the fly seemed unlikely to me, bu then again they manage lots of data through textures..

i like what i'm hearing about 8core rumors, I personally don't like the idea of gpgpu mixed with cpu tasks

Perhaps we could see 'closer to metal' coding of GPGPU?
Should be quite interesting to allow very low level access as well as standard way trough CL.

If devs hated coding SPUs because they were hard to program for then i can't imagine "to-the-metal" GPGPU coding being any easier at all.

I may be wrong though...

VG247 has fresh x720 rumor article. Notable stuff:
- bluray
- always on internet connectin required
- kinec with every console
- 4-6 cpu cores, OS and kinect take 2 cores [more likely threads]
- 2 gpu-s, but not same models connected with crossfire. They specificly mention that they are not connected in traditional PC fashion. "Xbox 720′s graphics units will be able to work independently, drawing separate items simultaneously."
- gpu's are "equivalent of radeon 7xxx line"
- release date late 2013
http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/02/xbox-720-detailed-blu-ray-inside-always-on-netcon-required/

This is the 2nd rumor that said it would have two GPU's. So I mean, that lends it a little more credibility.

I have my doubts that an net connection required console is feasible, so that makes me think the whole thing could be bunk.

- 2 gpu-s, but not same models connected with crossfire. They specificly mention that they are not connected in traditional PC fashion. "Xbox 720′s graphics units will be able to work independently, drawing separate items simultaneously."

I dont even really understand this part, at all. Above my pay grade as to what they're even saying there. But I certainly at least hope they have SLI/CFX ability, EG, a superset of.

That makes me wonder the point, are they going for MONSTER POWER (seems unlikely, but possible) or just better yields?

- gpu's are "equivalent of radeon 7xxx line"

So, 7750 to 7970, no spread there...

Even worst case two 7750's would be pretty dang powerful, though.

Well I said before, I think the rumors now start to have more credibility due to timeframe, so if we start hearing this two GPU thing more...

I'm inclined to think there's something too this. Post London Durango conference leaks could be expected...and I'm of the mind that MS cannot keep secrets...

APU+HD7850=AMD dual graphics?

That just seems, redundant.

VG247 has fresh x720 rumor article. Notable stuff:

Could be an indication of some low level "composite frame rendering" system, as opposed to split frame and alternate frame rendering like crossfire and SLI implement. Just like that old Hydra/Hydro/Hi-Bro (i forget:p) PC chip + motherboard thing, tooted a long while ago.

That would mean both GPUs in theory wouldn't need to be the same, plus a discrete GPU plus APU could work.

Still though, all of that AND kinect in every box screams $599+ console.

"Xbox 720′s graphics units will be able to work independently, drawing separate items simultaneously."

could this be as simple as a system with memory layout optimized for stereoscopic output.
(do any traditional multigpu systems allow that.. the wording seems to indicate this isn't what they're talking about)

Still though, all of that AND kinect in every box screams $599+ console.

Bring it on I say :p

Seriously though, I dont think "Kinect in every box" should be a irreversible decision, unless it's physically built in to the console somehow, and I dont think that would work (as kinect currently stands, you place the camera on top of the TV and the like). So, they can just yank it out later and sell a core SKU imo.

Standard Kinect+standard HDD are not my idea of good strategy though, they do drive costs up. A core SKU is a good idea.

That just seems, redundant.

Unless, APU = Xbox Lite settop box for live and apps. APU+GPU = Xbox Premium for all settop functionality and high end games.

They hit both a sub $199 market and a 399+ market at launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back