Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did Intel rebadged IMG chips there own? pretending that they did the graphics when they just licenced someone elses.

The more i read, the more i think our specs are being conservative for the 720 & ps4. after all they would have access to all the next gen tech.
Does anyone even know whether GDDR6 is on the cusp of being released/teased? wouldn't be suprised to see some of that on the go, or even xdr2.

Why did Intel rebadged IMG chips there own? pretending that they did the graphics when they just licenced someone elses.

The more i read, the more i think our specs are being conservative for the 720 & ps4. after all they would have access to all the next gen tech.
Does anyone even know whether GDDR6 is on the cusp of being released/teased? wouldn't be suprised to see some of that on the go, or even xdr2.

They might want to make money on the devices this time around, given how Nintendo left them in the dust this gen.

Reading that article I'm thinking the 300fps is a typo that was meant to read 30fps. Could the PS4 support UHDTV or 8k resolution? Maybe they'd make sure it would work strictly for video playback (3D?), but gaming will certainly not target anything near that resolution, unless they decide to release a $5000 console. Samsung says 8k displays won't be out until 2020, and I don't see anything about a new HDMI standard coming out any time soon to support those resolutions. I'd expect gaming will target 1080p, and a PS4 released in 2014 would have to wait a LONG time to show off those 8k features. Seems like expensive hardware for little reason.

Reading that article I'm thinking the 300fps is a typo that was meant to read 30fps. Could the PS4 support UHDTV or 8k resolution? Maybe they'd make sure it would work strictly for video playback (3D?), but gaming will certainly not target anything near that resolution, unless they decide to release a $5000 console. Samsung says 8k displays won't be out until 2020, and I don't see anything about a new HDMI standard coming out any time soon to support those resolutions. I'd expect gaming will target 1080p, and a PS4 released in 2014 would have to wait a LONG time to show off those 8k features. Seems like expensive hardware for little reason.

He's quoted as saying that some of the things he wants - including some of the graphics things, and here is where I'd guess we're talking about such resolutions and framerate - are at least 5 years away. He's not necessarily talking in a PS4 context...I would think PS4 might have 'checkbox' 4K functionality.

Also, re. 300fps...another slightly older article seemed to mention it in reference to image sensor refresh rate. So maybe there was a mix-up.

I think it's more likely that PS4 will support VR imaging with OLED glasses than that it would support 4K.

All of this pie in the sky stuff sounds a lot like Kuturagi before the actual PS3 reveal, but It's nice to hear that Sony is still thinking big, anyway, whatever they finally wind up coming out with.

I think it's more likely that PS4 will support VR imaging with OLED glasses than that it would support 4K.

All of this pie in the sky stuff sounds a lot like Kuturagi before the actual PS3 reveal, but It's nice to hear that Sony is still thinking big, anyway, whatever they finally wind up coming out with.

Ha ha yea its got a bit of the 'reality synthasizer' about it:D

We never did get those duel hdmis playing 2 native 1080p streams at the same time...what we got instead was not enough ram for in game chat:LOL:

Reading that article I'm thinking the 300fps is a typo that was meant to read 30fps.
No, I reckon it's 300fps content (good for stereo), but not intended as 300 Hz 4k screens. These are clearly long-term goals for ahrdware targets, not necessarily what a next-gen box will target. We all know there's no hope on earth that PS4 will rendering 4k games. It won't even be rendering 2k games except maybe some fringe cases in the same way Sony ahve invested in 3D titles to encourage 3D set adoption. It does somewhat point to better framerate TV outputs being considered, but that really is a bit ridiculous. We haven't hit 60 fps yet, so there's no point offering 120+ Hz to devs - there's no way they'd use it.

All in all though, those longer term goals shouldn't be confused in this thread. The only thing I'm wondering is if Sony are looking at a more general purpose architecture. They've tried it with Cell and it didn't work, but they did attempt a professional device with their PS3 based workstation. Similarly they tried it with PS2 in GSCube. I can see them trying once again to get a new universal architecture. It's certainly possible, with something like Cell2 and PVR. The talk of 'untapped power' is worrying though! Only go that route if you're going to provide the middleware to let those devs who don't care for Moare Power to get decent power without crazy effort. I don't really know where hardware could get more eclectic power from though.

Programmable gate arrays?!

No, I reckon it's 300fps content (good for stereo), but not intended as 300 Hz 4k screens. These are clearly long-term goals for ahrdware targets, not necessarily what a next-gen box will target. We all know there's no hope on earth that PS4 will rendering 4k games. It won't even be rendering 2k games except maybe some fringe cases in the same way Sony ahve invested in 3D titles to encourage 3D set adoption. It does somewhat point to better framerate TV outputs being considered, but that really is a bit ridiculous. We haven't hit 60 fps yet, so there's no point offering 120+ Hz to devs - there's no way they'd use it.

All in all though, those longer term goals shouldn't be confused in this thread. The only thing I'm wondering is if Sony are looking at a more general purpose architecture. They've tried it with Cell and it didn't work, but they did attempt a professional device with their PS3 based workstation. Similarly they tried it with PS2 in GSCube. I can see them trying once again to get a new universal architecture. It's certainly possible, with something like Cell2 and PVR. The talk of 'untapped power' is worrying though! Only go that route if you're going to provide the middleware to let those devs who don't care for Moare Power to get decent power without crazy effort. I don't really know where hardware could get more eclectic power from though.

Programmable gate arrays?!

The way it's written, it's hard to tell if they're talking about what Sony is targetting for PS4 or beyond, but I agree the statements about 300fps and 8k make little to no sense for a console released in the next two or three years.

The comment about programmable logic is very interesting. I really have no idea what it would be used for.

They might want to make money on the devices this time around, given how Nintendo left them in the dust this gen.

did they really leave them in the dust?

it's what wii 90 million PS3 60 million moving 15 million a year at the price that the wii started off at with a few more years left in it.

I don't think it's going to look so bad for the PS3 in the end unless the Wii U stop the people who are waiting for the PS3 to drop down into the $199 / $149 price rang from buying it in the next few years sells should be going higher than 15 million a year with the price coming down.

I see Xbox 360 & PS3 also making it close to 100 million because by this time next year they both should be at over 75 million with the wii around 100 million & if you give it another year that's 90 million with the wii 100 + million.

if I was Sony or MS I wouldn't jump to next gen until I see what the Wii U does to the market.

The bit about digital signal processing makes me think they haven't given up on carrying the SPUs forward, but the programmable logic thing does seem much more out of left field.

The bit about them looking at stackable silicon via stuff is interesting, and brings to mind the stuff they're doing with fabricating Cell on more of a bare substrate in its package, or whatever it is.. they've clearly shown an interest in new chip packaging techniques, but that seems a bit too far to go for PS4.

Interesting as well that it "won't be called PS4". I had heard of the 4 being bad luck thing, but I hadn't given it much importance until seeing that Panasonic went from VT30 directly to VT50 in their recent plasma tv announcement, allegedly for that reason.

And, yes, I was thinking of the dual HDMI ports we were promised by Kuturagi as well. :rolleyes:

One other thing, I guess, is that this kind of ambitious talk doesn't sound like what I would have expected after the enormous costs that Sony suffered with the PS3.

I wonder if folks at Sony have convinced themselves that the Cell and PS3 development costs were proven out by the success of Blu-Ray in the HD disc war and by giving them a foothold they otherwise wouldn't have in the network services space..

I stopped reading those posts when I got to "8K x 4K at 300fps."

Sony may not be in a position to push tech to such heights. It's one thing if they had a robust TV business, which would be aided by a console which could feed 4K displays or help push a 4K video format (like the PS3 helped promote 1080p Blu-Ray). But their TV business is flatlining and now, it seems they've yielded technological leadership to the Koreans, who are touting 55-inch OLEDs soon (may be hype but Sony isn't even hyping TV tech these days).

There are already indications that Vita sales -- at least preorders -- are falling short of expectations. That's not surprising given the explosive sales of mobile devices, but the money spend on them and services (mobile data) could also impact sales of next-gen consoles and games.

Sony needs a profitable Playstation division but the experience of the PS3 and now Vita may guide them towards technologically more conservative, lower-cost designs.

Howard Stringer was on TV a month or two ago, just before the Vita launch, showing it off and then the other product he was trying to hype was these VR goggles which was the equivalent of a 70-inch (or was it 70-foot) screen in 3D or something like that.

Claimed it didn't make him dizzy at all and everyone who tried it was hooked.

I don't know, I think those will be about as successful as 3D TV. These glasses were $800, which is about the price of a 50-inch plasma, which is bigger than the median size of big screens sold in the US.

When you're at home, you want to sit back and watch TV on the big screen, not put on goggles. In the same way that it's one thing to wear earbuds when you're out and about but when you get home, you want to put music up on speakers, not continue to listen to earbuds.

Ha ha yea its got a bit of the 'reality synthasizer' about it:D

We never did get those duel hdmis playing 2 native 1080p streams at the same time...what we got instead was not enough ram for in game chat:LOL:
I would have liked to see the multiple cells, and how they were going to talk to each other and form a global network that allowed them to offload work onto currently idle cells on other machines.

I miss Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back