Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? The PCIE slot is rated for 75 watts. I can't see any 6850 being that efficient. My 6870 actually needs two plugs, as it's rated for 151 watts... one watt above 1 6pin plug. My G80 beforehand only needed 1 plug for its 148 watts. I can't see a 6850 without one.

I can't believe this too, most 6850 are rated for 127W. That's why my guess was something around a 7850 with estimated 100W (maybe even lower if they lower the frequency for console part) for NextBox/PS4.

EDIT: Hmm, curious how they did this?!

I can't believe this too, most 6850 are rated for 127W. That's why my guess was something around a 7850 with estimated 100W (maybe even lower if they lower the frequency for console part) for NextBox/PS4.

Very efficient VRM and power delivery circuits suppling the core and maybe highly binned chips.

But it goes to show that atleast 6850 performance is doable inside a tiny console.

Does anyone know the power consumption for RSX and Xenos?

Couldn't you do much more with 100W in a console vs 100W in a PC? I was thinking they would need PC devkits with 7900s to approximate 100W console GPUs, if the 7850 are sub 100W parts.

What was the power consumption of xenos vs x800 in the early days?

Last edited by a moderator:
8800GTX was released a few weeks after iirc

And still my point remains, PS3 had a GPU that was much faster then 90%+ of the worlds PC user base and had more grunt then all but the highest end of gaming PC's.

Albeit with only an 128bit memory bus. The leading PC cards with NVidia chips were using 256bit channels.

Couldn't you do much more with 100W in a console vs 100W in a PC? I was thinking they would need PC devkits with 7900s to approximate 100W console GPUs, if the 7850 are sub 100W parts.

What was the power consumption of xenos vs x800 in the early days?

Xenos=R500=X1xxx series not Xxxx series

or i am wrong?

Arent you guys using power figures for the whole card, board, VRAM, and all? Just the GPU will consume less (or alternately, you could look at it as a full video card contains many of the same components a full console would, EG a detailed circuit board, RAM etc).

Plus I would think they could cherry pick some low power parts similar to laptops, and downclock etc. Just downclocking say, a 6870 from 900 to 750 would probably save a lot of juice without drastically crippling performance.

Cherry picking isn't a good option for what needs to be a cheap and high-volume part.
The upshot to it is that you are discarding or selling a vast majority of product as something cheaper.

Since consoles sell tens of millions of units, where are the many tens/hundreds of millions of the rejected parts going to go?

Even Eurogamer speak of a possible fall 2012 launch, sadly to me it almost discard 32 and 28 nm lithography for the next XBOX. So comparisons in power consumption, die space,etc has to be made with this in mind. And when it comes to CPU power consumption imho AMD or IBM are better references than Intel which is clearly in a league of its own.

Read what I said again...

You said that the PS3 launched with a GPU faster than 90% of the worlds PC GPUs and that you can't imagine that happening again.

And I said, I can easily imagine PS4/Xbox Next launching with a GPU faster than 90% of PCs, since the bulk of PCs today are using integrated crap.

Cheers

You said that the PS3 launched with a GPU faster than 90% of the worlds PC GPUs and that you can't imagine that happening again.
Boolean operator. ;)
And still my point remains, PS3 had a GPU that was much faster then 90%+ of the worlds PC user base and had more grunt then all but the highest end of gaming PC's.
The second half is the significant part. Almighty does not see next-gen hardware having more grunt than all but the highest end of gaming PCs, because the high-end has been pushed a lot higher.

Even Eurogamer speak of a possible fall 2012 launch

Well I just popped over to Eurogamer to see what you're talking about and they're just referencing the same Edge via Xboxygen report everybody else is. Hardly compelling.

2012 next xbox launch, there is no chance. All can quote this and mock me if I'm wrong :p

Again, just compare what we know of the Wii U (certainly a late 2012 launch at this point) versus what we know of an alleged 360 successor, and what we know of games in development for both. That's not even accounting for Nintendo's vastly superior secrecy capabilities (heck, if it hadn't been for Ubisoft aka a western leak, we still might not know of Wii u). The reason Wii U leaked is because Nintendo was forced to give it too western dev houses in their newfound bid for third party support, and it leaked quickly from there.

Ubisoft Montreal is hard at work on 'target boxes' based on the intended specifications of Microsoft’s Xbox 360 successor, according to an Edge source. Delivery of the first iteration of genuine devkits, running custom hardware, is expected to reach studios before Christmas, and all signs point to the finalised console arriving at retail in late 2012.

It's still not really concrete. And the timeline sentence leaves wiggle room, It's a lot more believable than many previous rumors though, but I'm still convinced nothing earlier than 2013, even if the rest of the rumor turns out true, which I believe is possible.

Take it however way you want to take it but I have it on "good authority" neither MS nor Sony will be shipping a home console in 2012...

Maybe the source got the dates mixed up with the WiiU release?

It's still not really concrete. And the timeline sentence leaves wiggle room, It's a lot more believable than many previous rumors though, but I'm still convinced nothing earlier than 2013, even if the rest of the rumor turns out true, which I believe is possible.

Why is a 2012 release date such an impossibility?

What would be the limiting factors in releasing the console in 2012 if the design were ready to go now?

As I recall, xb360 developers didn't have final hardware dev kits until 6 months prior to release ...

If MS is literally building on the architecture already in place with xb360, I see no reason for it to take longer than the previous gen to get the product on store shelves.

This would mean the software learning curve is significantly less than last gen, and launch lineup would be a cinch. Granted, they likely wouldn't take full advantage of the hardware, but what launch lineup does?

The only real roadblock to launching in 2012 would be for sales/profit protection issues. But everything I've seen out of MS up to this point has been with an eye on future profits, not risking the future for a small gain today.

With xb360 prices dipping very low this holiday, I could see an official drop in price to the ~$150 mark in the early part of the year leaving plenty of room for a $300-$400 nextgen system late in the year.

If they manage to work the "forward compatible" gameplan well, they should see a very nice transition without fear of consumers considering any purchase after the new system is announced as "wasted".

I'm starting to think it's not only possible, it's probable.

Consider, MS knows full well the advantage of releasing first and knows the pitfalls of releasing last.

They can't afford to be caught flat-footed here and loose market-share to Nintendo HD or PS4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32777849&postcount=1826

Just heard from a high ranking mole inside Blizzard, he works on the small team thats developing an unannounced project. Tight, high level exclusive access. Just today they received an official Xbox successor dev kit, not an early dev computer box, but a revised official-like development kit. I cannot give any more details because I was not provided any.

My source is very reliable.

at E3 2005 xbox360 game demos were running on mac G5 dev kits, and the console was released less than 6 months later.
The Gears of war demo was hardly running at 15fps, so late 2012 release is a real possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back