Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
"controller with hd screen" can be a reference to optional interoperability with the 3ds?

That's been my assumption, assuming this isn't BS. A remote play feature of some kind from Nintendo would be guaranteed to have some involvement with the 3DS.

From hardware spec point of view i think all sony has to do is go into an incremental state of play. No need for flashy new processor or a new optical drive.

8GB of XDR ram split between main and video parts.
32 SPU cell
16x Blu ray drive with 100 GB capacity.

the only issue is which company should they go for their GPU.

Crytek : 8GB RAM(...VRAM ?) for next generation required?

" "My finger-pointing at Microsoft/Sony would really be on the memory side. It's way too low, and the biggest crippling factor from a visual perspective. I would really like to see next-gen console platforms with a minimum of 8GB.""

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-making-of-crysis-2

(link credits for Trejser)

Interesting article which explains a lot. Specifically the fact the GI WAS disbaled for consoles.

Still, the assertion that the reason for going with a completely new game style was not performance related is marketing BS. Regardless of the efficiencys brought by CE3, Crysis 1 would have ran in single digit or very low teen FPS if it had been translated to consoles with no visual degridation even at Crysis 2's sub HD resolution,

Question about AMD's Trinity APU - on the graphics side of Trinity, what's the closest comparison in discrete AMD GPUs is it? Sorry I worded that just awfully.

From hardware spec point of view i think all sony has to do is go into an incremental state of play. No need for flashy new processor or a new optical drive.

8GB of XDR ram split between main and video parts.
32 SPU cell
16x Blu ray drive with 100 GB capacity.

the only issue is which company should they go for their GPU.

Do we really need 100 GB im not sure but most games are still fitting on 1~2 dvd. Filling 100gb of data means a lot of redundant data or filler crap like CGI cutscenes and i hate CGI cutscenes so i dont see the advantage of having. CGI cutscenes in games take kinda out of the game.

CGI in movies is awesome but i dont want them in my games but the industry is moving that way.:cry:

Most games only fill up 1-2 DVDs because everyone targets the 360. Devs can always find ways to use more space and it makes more sense, assuming the cost isn't astronomical, to provide that option. The fact that storage space has become a proxy fight in the great fanboy wars has sadly clouded the issue. No one is going to have the budget to fill 100GBs with high quality 1080p CGI, so that's not a realistic concern. But it would be nice if devs weren't forced to compress videos to shit and back with Bink, too.

Only application to the touch screen that might (acording to my thinking) have some weight is if Nintendo try to bring the control methods we see on DS to the TV´s big screen.

A WIFI N connection has enough troughput to handle online game data and a video feed for a small resolution like the one the 6´´ screen would probably have. So you get a video feed in the touch screen of the same frame beeing outputed to the TV screen. For "SOME" games the direct input method of a touch screen would be faster, more effcient or intuitive than a standar controller. Only think i don´t know how big of a important role input lattency would play, altough this function might be relegated to genres were precision timing is not an issue.

Most games only fill up 1-2 DVDs because everyone targets the 360. Devs can always find ways to use more space and it makes more sense, assuming the cost isn't astronomical, to provide that option. The fact that storage space has become a proxy fight in the great fanboy wars has sadly clouded the issue. No one is going to have the budget to fill 100GBs with high quality 1080p CGI, so that's not a realistic concern. But it would be nice if devs weren't forced to compress videos to shit and back with Bink, too.
A Digital Foundry interview revealed Bink is used a lot for allowing larger amounts of game data to be spooled in the background.

A 100 GB blu ray disk would do wonders for games like infamous, GTA and ofcourse final fantasy

and while we wait for it to load up a level we can go out to a nice 4 star resturant and have a 5 course meal.

Bluray 12x can transfer at 54MB/s So lets assume that even on the 4th layer it can read at 12x your looking at a minimum of a 148seconds to load 8gigs of data . Thats assuming the drive doesn't have to seek for the data , switch layers or any layer speed changes. I can only imagine how long it take if they'd have to go from layer 1 to layer 4 to layer 2 to grab data.

I much rather they move to flash

A 100 GB blu ray disk would do wonders for games like infamous, GTA and ofcourse final fantasy
It would be much better, with a nice increase in the transfer rate.

and while we wait for it to load up a level we can go out to a nice 4 star resturant and have a 5 course meal.

Bluray 12x can transfer at 54MB/s So lets assume that even on the 4th layer it can read at 12x your looking at a minimum of a 148seconds to load 8gigs of data . Thats assuming the drive doesn't have to seek for the data , switch layers or any layer speed changes. I can only imagine how long it take if they'd have to go from layer 1 to layer 4 to layer 2 to grab data.

I much rather they move to flash
Did you forget how levels are loaded in most of Sony's recent first party games? It would be no different from that. No load screens. Streaming levels, my friend. ;)

More memory is not related to load-times the way you think. If all else stays the same in, say, the 360, then increasing its memory means it can keep more stuff in memory that doesn't have to be reloaded again later. 8GB of memory means the whole game can stay in RAM basically for most current 360 titles.

Now obviously for next gen load times will increase as more and higher resolution textures and more complicated meshes and animations need to be loaded. But as next-gen will probably only feature a 2x increase in resolution, texture detail won't need to increase too much in quality either, which leaves plenty of room for just more textures in general. 4GB would be more than enough already in that area in which case 8GB leaves a lot of room for keeping stuff in memory as well as streaming stuff in further in advance in order to reduce loadtimes considerably.

Any non-compute or ram bandwidth component that is more than a 4x increase over last gen is probably going to be fine, so a 6x increase in BD read speed should be as well. The most crucial improvements in next-gen imho should be bandwidth, raw number-crunching performance and available RAM. These are the biggest bottlenecks.

Oh and afaik BD does not have a layer change penalty like DVD has?

Would not be surprised if crytek and epic will pitch for a 8 gig memory at microsoft i believe it was epic who convinced microsoft to go with 512mb instead of the planned 256mb.

I'm sure Epic would claim that too, but I wouldn't give too much credit to any one source. Plenty of opinions were sought on the matter, Epic probably just the one most likely to use the press to make their answer known.

Would not be surprised if crytek and epic will pitch for a 8 gig memory at microsoft i believe it was epic who convinced microsoft to go with 512mb instead of the planned 256mb.

Epic just created a true next generation demo with access to only 1.5GB of VRAM. They've proven themselves that 8GB is overkill.

2GB is most likely next generation, 4GB would be a pleasant surprise.

You guys are so boring. There is no such thing as overkill from a computer hardware perspective. Give the devs the resources and they will find new and interesting ways to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back