Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, how about this rumour?
11/16/09 WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Sony has chosen the GPU for the next generation PlayStation.

We can officially reveal in this world exclusive that SCEI has officially chosen the Imagination Technologies currently in development PowerVR Series 6 architecture for it's next generation PlayStation console scheduled for 2012 worldwide deployment.

The PlayStation 4 shall use a high end variant of the Series 6 line. Performance, specifications and features are at this time unknown. The Series 6 shall receive an official announcement from IMGTEC sometime in 2010, with initial models targeting the smartphone and netbook sector.

It is believed that Sony has gained exclusive rights to the technology for the console space.

IMGTEC's PowerVR technology uses an advance technique called TBDR which can outperform a competing IMR product from nVidia/ATi by 3-5 fold whilst maintaining equal die size and price point. TBDR was the primary reason the SEGA DreamCast was capable of such astonishing graphical feats as early as 1998.

Interestingly SCEI has also chosen IMGTEC as the graphics provider for their next generation PSP. That particular product shall however be using the Series 5XT.

Mr Zachary Morris
This has popped on several gaming related sites for example vgchartz and FGOnline. Aaah, I love rumours! :)

well its been rumored for awhile that they chose it for the next gen psp. So it would make sense to tie the two together.

That being said we haven't seen anything high end from IMGTEC in a long time and would be interesting ot see how it would stack up to what ati or nvidia could offer.

also it would be interesting to see nvidia winding up in zero consoles this gen. That could really hurt them in the long run.

Ok, how about this rumour?This has popped on several gaming related sites for example vgchartz and FGOnline. Aaah, I love rumours! :)

It originated from FGOnline and our Texan was the one who posted it at vgchartz. Texan is probably affiliated with FGOnline.

http://www.vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?tab=forum&id=1573

On the right hand side there are threads started by the same person, who started the PowerVR thread and many of those threads are same what Texan started here. The credibility of this rumour just went from zero to zero kelvin.

also it would be interesting to see nvidia winding up in zero consoles this gen. That could really hurt them in the long run.

Well their "Tegra2" chip ending up in a few tens of millions of Nintendo DS2s sure wouldn't do them too badly at all? ;-)

Anyways, despite the questionable sources of the rumour, I'm curious as to what a hypothetical high end PowerVR chip in PS4 would bring?

How would a PowerVR TBDR GPU fare against a hypothetical 5XXX series ATI GPU in the next xbox (assuming a 5XXX-a-like chip)?

How would BC with PS3 be affected?

I have many questions to anyone with PVR tech knowledge :D

Well their "Tegra2" chip ending up in a few tens of millions of Nintendo DS2s sure wouldn't do them too badly at all? ;-)

Anyways, despite the questionable sources of the rumour, I'm curious as to what a hypothetical high end PowerVR chip in PS4 would bring?

How would a PowerVR TBDR GPU fare against a hypothetical 5XXX series ATI GPU in the next xbox (assuming a 5XXX-a-like chip)?

How would BC with PS3 be affected?

I have many questions to anyone with PVR tech knowledge :D

Well crazy fillrate for one .

But i doubt it will compete with a 5xxx chip. Assuming 2011 we may be talking about two generations from now for ati. Next gen chip is supposed to come out next holiday . So i can see another next gen chip a holiday after that.

I think these things are just way to far out there to even predict.

also your right on the ds2. I forgot that rumor

If even the PSP2 using a PowerVR chip is true then they must be seeing some cool revenue figures considering they've got the iPhone/iTouch market too...

Sounds like alot of R&D $$$s for the high end Series 6 if they're serious about it's target platform..

There are NV, AMD, Intel and IMGTEC that can supply Sony for GPU in PS4. We know that their relation with NV has gone sour with their problems with RSX (scaling and not able to emulate PS2 GS). Beside NV seems to be more interested in Supercomturers market now and designed their GPU around it (bloat). So there are AMD, Intel and IMGTEC to choose from.

Intel is unknown at the moment and Larrabee isn't a good match for Cell.

AMD might already be taken by MS for next gen. And Sony (and Nintendo) might not want to go with them again for political reasons.

Sony don't have many choices if they go third party for GPU. They could do one with Toshiba again since Blu Vs HDDVD is finished now.

Stabbing at rumour like Sony is using with PowerVR for PS4 has a good chance of being right.

I haven't kept upto date with 3D engine, but I assume that it has progressed quite far since Dreamcast. Is TBDR still a performance or power advantage in next gen consoles or has it becomes a disadvantage ?

There are NV, AMD, Intel and IMGTEC that can supply Sony for GPU in PS4. We know that their relation with NV has gone sour with their problems with RSX (scaling and not able to emulate PS2 GS). Beside NV seems to be more interested in Supercomturers market now and designed their GPU around it (bloat). So there are AMD, Intel and IMGTEC to choose from.

Intel is unknown at the moment and Larrabee isn't a good match for Cell.

AMD might already be taken by MS for next gen. And Sony (and Nintendo) might not want to go with them again for political reasons.

Sony don't have many choices if they go third party for GPU. They could do one with Toshiba again since Blu Vs HDDVD is finished now.

Stabbing at rumour like Sony is using with PowerVR for PS4 has a good chance of being right.

I haven't kept upto date with 3D engine, but I assume that it has progressed quite far since Dreamcast. Is TBDR still a performance or power advantage in next gen consoles or has it becomes a disadvantage ?

I'm certain Toshiba cant do anything these days that can remotely compete with ATI/Nvidia anymore, and are we really thinking PowerVr can?

If Sony isn't going to go with Nvidi, ATI, or at least Intel, they're probably going to suffer a significant graphics deficit. And they might even with Intel. So, yeah.

I'm certain Toshiba cant do anything these days that can remotely compete with ATI/Nvidia anymore, and are we really thinking PowerVr can?

If Sony isn't going to go with Nvidi, ATI, or at least Intel, they're probably going to suffer a significant graphics deficit. And they might even with Intel. So, yeah.

I'm pretty sure that out the choices . MS isn't going to let ati develop a chip for sony. If nintendo is going with nvidia for the ds2 they might go for it with th wii 2 and sour relationships between sony and nvidia may force them to power vr

and who knows it may be a small and powerfull and get the job done . Mabye sony only wants a small jump from the ps3 2x16 cell 2 gigs of ram and a power vr mid range dx 11 chip ?

I don't see what locks Sony out from AMD? AMD provided the graphics for both the Wii and 360 this generation, I'm sure they'd be delighted to win 2 or more contracts again. ATI's perf. per mm2 at the high end has got to be appealing to Sony?

I know IMG claim near perfect scaling of their architecture but I'm just struggling to believe that they can still compete in the high end with such a long term focus on the mobile space. What was the last high end GPU they produced anyway?

I dunno about all this. Is it completely outside the realm of possibility that IMG is developing hardware supporting the latest OGL? I really don't think it is. The question I have is would PVR6 manifest as a large, PC-style chip, or a small, powerful, mobile OGL-ES3.x part? I wonder if SONY employed a hive of PVR6 mobile cores could they be daisy-chained together to provide something interresting enough for SONY to look past AMD, Intel, Nvidia altogether? There are a lot of unanswered questions there.

I don't see what locks Sony out from AMD? AMD provided the graphics for both the Wii and 360 this generation, I'm sure they'd be delighted to win 2 or more contracts again. ATI's perf. per mm2 at the high end has got to be appealing to Sony?

I know IMG claim near perfect scaling of their architecture but I'm just struggling to believe that they can still compete in the high end with such a long term focus on the mobile space. What was the last high end GPU they produced anyway?

And this is generally what I expect - AMD getting three console deals. AMD is kicking an ass or two right now. They were the first to hardware with a dedicated tessellator, first to market with unified shader, I still see the Radeon 4xxx line as superior to anything Nvidia had to compare (less silicon for basically the same experience in most cases).

And on the IMG statement, I don't think they could produce a high-end part, but I do think they could reach feature parrity with R5xxx in the cell-phone space. I just wonder could they scale up to a hive (two dozen mobile cores, maybe more), do it cheaply, could it be done in a way that is not only competitive, but superior to a competitor, could it be abstracted from the programmer, etcetera.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know. The nintendo deal may have existed before hand. Also the chip was much less powerfull. I'm sure ms would build into the contract that amd can't provide its rivals with similar or better performance parts

Mabye sony wants to go really big on the cpu with a few ppes mabye a 4x 128 or something and have cell do all the shader stuff ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. The nintendo deal may have existed before hand. Also the chip was much less powerfull. I'm sure ms would build into the contract that amd can't provide its rivals with similar or better performance parts

Mabye sony wants to go really big on the cpu with a few ppes mabye a 4x 128 or something and have cell do all the shader stuff ?

What exactly gives Microsoft that kind of leverage? In terms of units shipped worldwide by the end of this generation they'll very possibly be in third place and after burning their bridges with Nvidia and BC being higher on the agenda than ever with digital distribution, it seems like Microsoft need AMD more than AMD need Microsoft. Getting in the Wii2 and PS4 is going to be a lot more lucrative than getting in just Microsoft's next console, so really Microsoft can't afford to use bullying tactics like this. More than that, they were quite happy to share IBM with Sony and ATI with Nintendo last time around, so there's just no indication that silly politics like that matter to Redmond, they simply want the best graphics chip for their dollar, and they've got to be pretty confident of getting that out of AMD at this point.

The way I see it, AMD simply offer the best solution for all three consoles, a derivative of Fusion is ideal for what Nintendo is after and no one competes with AMD at the high end in terms of perf. per mm2 and that's so incredibly important for a console. As well as that, stick in an AMD part and you'll instantly be the darling of the development community, who are all building their next generation DX11 engines around 5xxx series hardware, and that matters a hell of a lot these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back