World Cup 2006

Rune said:
Zizou was outstanding today, he totally outshined Ronaldinho. It is just pure enjoyment to see him play, when he is motivated.

It seemed he really enjoyed playing again. Something we haven't seen for quite a while. He directed and managed the French game. Plus he seemed really fit.

I don't really care which teams reach the finals as long as they don't both play 4-5-1. Otherwise, I suspect we'll see either a 1-0 or 0-0. Every single quarterfinal was boring as hell.

Parousia said:
I don't really care which teams reach the finals as long as they don't both play 4-5-1. Otherwise, I suspect we'll see either a 1-0 or 0-0. Every single quarterfinal was boring as hell.

You're right about this. Practically all the teams are playing defensively because they are too scared to go out and try to win the game. Every game needs an early goal to open up the play because otherwise it's all a bit too cat and mouse.

macabre said:
Welcome to the European Championship... :D
Zidane was the best player.

Indeed! :)

Brazilians looked really bad, I couldn't believe it! And Zidane was motivated like never before, amazing. Great succes France, congrats!

Of the teams that are left I'm mostly just appalled that Portugal is still in. They've been playing the same non-football as Brazil, except much worse. In general I don't really like the Italian way of playing either, since defending for the entire game and then scoring a goal on some ridiculously well executed counter (and preferably the one and only chance you have during the entire game) doesn't really do much for me. I wouldn't really mind Italy in the final though, just as long as they at least try to do some attacking. But the most likely outcome in my eyes would be a Germany - France final, which I think the frogs would win (and rightfully so imo after schooling Brazil and Spain).

oi said:
Of the teams that are left I'm mostly just appalled that Portugal is still in. They've been playing the same non-football as Brazil, except much worse.

I didn't see the Portugal-Netherlands game, but after watching Port flop/whine all over the pitch against England I have much more sympathy for the Orangemen.

I'm amazed by France's turnaround. Before the tournament started I saw their game against Japan and they were absolutely dire in that. They were then outplayed by Switzerland who ought to have beaten them and were poor against South Korea as well. Since the knock-out stages there has been a sudden turnaround in their form and it's like watching a different team! Mainly down to Zidane who has suddenly rediscovered his form - I watched quite a few Real Madrid games this year and to be honest he has been pretty poor most of the season so I'm surprised he's suddenly started playing well once again!

Brazil were unimpressive this tournament. I find it hard to believe how ineffectual Ronaldinho has been after being in such fantastic form for Barcelona this season.

If I was a gambling man, my money would be on a Germany vs France final.

Deepak said:
What happened to the Lampards and the Gerrards?:rolleyes:

Lampard. . .my god. The number of opportunities he had in this tournament where he not only failed to put in the back of the net, but failed to even make a quality shot on goal (you know, one where the keeper actually has to block it) was practically boggling for a guy who's supposed to be a world-class player.

geo said:
Lampard. . .my god. The number of opportunities he had in this tournament where he not only failed to put in the back of the net, but failed to even make a quality shot on goal (you know, one where the keeper actually has to block it) was practically boggling for a guy who's supposed to be a world-class player.

The problem is because Lampard has such a good scoring record (23 goals last season) he was never going to be dropped and played every minute. Unfortunately, he doesn't offer much else apart from goalscoring and missed another couple of good chances yesterday - the free volley he had in the area from the corner, for example. Gerrard was below par all tournament was well but at least he scored a couple of good goals. I hope McClaren, the new manager has the guts to realise that Gerrard and Lampard just don't play well together in midfield and drop one of them. Preferably Lampard who I still think is overrated!

What has surprised me most was how poor Beckham was in general. Normally he's the best crosser of the ball around but only put in a few decent crosses all the way through the tournament. He's just announced he's stepping down as England captain, by the way although he still wants to keep playing for England. I wonder if Aaron Lennon will make the right-wing position his own?

I think that portugal will win the WC, not because I think they have played good and deserve it, on the contrary actually, but just because of carma. At the EC 2 years ago a 1 in a 10000000 chance happened and Greece took it right under their noses and Greece wasn't really the best playing team, so this time Portugal hasn't been the best playing team and therefore they will it:devilish: ...

geo said:
I didn't see the Portugal-Netherlands game, but after watching Port flop/whine all over the pitch against England I have much more sympathy for the Orangemen.

You really haven't seen the game.... the orangemen played for a fight and not for football . Ricardo was more than enough to win England.
Brasil played the entire wc like sh*t and France deserverd to win. Italy don't play a thing... and Germany will win for sure.... Between Portugal and France I really don't know but there is a Euro2000 payback.... and Portugal will win.... Finals Germany - Portugal!

Mariner said:
The problem is because Lampard has such a good scoring record (23 goals last season) he was never going to be dropped and played every minute. Unfortunately, he doesn't offer much else apart from goalscoring and missed another couple of good chances yesterday - the free volley he had in the area from the corner, for example.

It's a cruel game, in many respects. He buries that one (into practically an open net) and all is forgiven. . .

Platon said:
I think that portugal will win the WC, not because I think they have played good and deserve it, on the contrary actually, but just because of carma. At the EC 2 years ago a 1 in a 10000000 chance happened and Greece took it right under their noses and Greece wasn't really the best playing team, so this time Portugal hasn't been the best playing team and therefore they will it:devilish: ...

One thing is playing beautifully and another is playing effectivelly. All the teams playing beautifully gone back home.

Mariner said:
I'm amazed by France's turnaround. Before the tournament started I saw their game against Japan and they were absolutely dire in that. They were then outplayed by Switzerland who ought to have beaten them and were poor against South Korea as well. Since the knock-out stages there has been a sudden turnaround in their form and it's like watching a different team! Mainly down to Zidane who has suddenly rediscovered his form - I watched quite a few Real Madrid games this year and to be honest he has been pretty poor most of the season so I'm surprised he's suddenly started playing well once again!

It might have to do with psycology more than anything else. Didn't they last time at the WC not even manage to get to the knock out stages? I guess they have been under a lot of pressure and been stressed/afraid that they might repeat that fiasko, so now that they have gone to the knock out part a huge weight has been lifted from the team, so they are now playing for the win, and not for just not loosing...

nAo said:
umh..France vs Italy would be better..:cool:

Well, obviously...:cool:

But seriously, IMO Germany would deserve it. What Italy has shown up until now hasn't been very impressive yet.
Germany OTOH has exceeded my expectations by far, I've never seen them playing such great football in the last 10 years. (And that's coming from an Austrian! Remember Cordoba '78!!11)

Thorsten Frings has been banned for the semis, after watching videos from Argentinia vs Germany

That is a huge blow to Germany, especially since it happened on such short notice.

Back