World Cup 2006

Ronaldo has made his record, so the Brazilians can be happy when they are kicked out in the next round :p

Ghana were the same all tournament: slightly dodgy in defence, good in midfield but without a great deal of striking power and poor shooting.

Brazil were the same as they have been all tournament: rather lethargic with the odd piece of skilful play interspersed.

No surprise at the result but it might have been interesting if the Ghanaian had scored with his free header instead of hitting Dida.

I wonder if the French will be as poor tonight as they have been earlier in the tournament? Spain have to be favourites, I'd have thought.

Good bye Ghana. Looking forward to seeing you again next time. You deserved a better result than this.

Why do Football players exchange their T-shirts after the match?:rolleyes:

And did Portugal and Holland players do it last night?:LOL:

Deepak said:
Why do Football players exchange their T-shirts after the match?:rolleyes:

And did Portugal and Holland players do it last night?:LOL:

It's a sign of mutual respect and appreciation. I don't if Holland and Portugual did it, though. However, I remember seeing Deco and some player of Netherland sitting together and talking about the match going on without them. So it wasn't all hatred and anger.

I think those two players played on the same club team. They were mostly talking to each other about how bad the ref was.

Good bye Ghana,

3x0 . Could be better but is enough.

Ronaldo now has the record. He is now faster and finished the game.
Brazil has 11 consecutive wins.
IIRC 201 gols in worldcup.

PS: Thanks to Mcdonalds and HP for sponsoring this post :)

A pity Henry had to cheat to win the free kick which led to the 2nd goal. Not a foul at all IMO and it was pathetic that he went down holding his face in an attempt to have Puyol sent off. I'd be embarrassed to have acted in such a manner personally. As bad or worse than Crouch's hair pulling exploits and that was bad enough!

Overall though, France were the better team after they got the equaliser in the first half so I suppose they deserve to go through. They have certainly improved a great deal since their first couple of games in the tournament.

Mariner said:
A pity Henry had to cheat to win the free kick which led to the 2nd goal. Not a foul at all IMO and it was pathetic that he went down holding his face in an attempt to have Puyol sent off.
I disagree. Puyol noticed he'd get outrun by Henry (damn he's fast!) and clearly thrust his elbow and shoulder backwards and hit Henry on the chest. IMO that's definitely a foul. But you're right about Henry's acting, he should have taken the freekick and been happy, instead of holding his face trying to provoke a card, that's not exactly fair play.

Same with Figo, he was trying so hard to get his head make contact with Boularouz' elbow for half the game, rarely have I seen a more obvious case of trying to provoke a red.

Or take the Italian player, who actually had to change direction to run into the recklessly tackling Aussie defender and get that penalty.

Lucio also had a scene in the Brazil game that struck me as way over-acted. He got tackled from behind, dropped to the green like he'd been hit by a bus, rolled into some kind of fetal position and lifted his arm to protect his face. Sure it was a foul, but the acting afterwards was almost worse than the foul itself.

Acting is so common in football these days, its disgusting. Problem is these things are incredibly hard to see for a referee and unless FIFA intoduces mechanisms to punish this kind of acting more severly, players will always try to get as big of an advantage out of these situations as they can. If they see an opponent make a stupid move they'll do their best to get hit in a way to provoke a card or penalty. Some call it cheating, others call it being clever I guess...

Gollum said:
I disagree. Puyol noticed he'd get outrun by Henry (damn he's fast!) and clearly thrust his elbow and shoulder backwards and hit Henry on the chest. IMO that's definitely a foul.

Rubbish it's a game for men not pansies. If you're not strong enough, tough.

Randell said:
Rubbish it's a game for men not pansies. If you're not strong enough, tough.

err yeah,, but its also not basketball or american football.
henry got fouled ... true..
he then made out he'd been hit in the face... cheat?..

mind you it was probably smashed in the face by the flowing hair.... that'd smart ;)

If you watch when the pass is made, Puyol (no slouch in the speed stakes although not in Henry's class) is directly between the ball and Henry. Obviously, defending correctly he made sure he stayed in the way and put his arm out to fend Henry off - Henry ran into the arm. Still not a foul, IMO.

I think I must be a throwback to the days when football was a man's game without all this falling over and rolling around given the slightest opportunity. ;)

The refs have to start getting serious about giving out yellows for players diving. Too many times the refs will just either give them the call or call nothing when a player dived. Instead of calling nothing when they dive, give them a yellow.

Mariner said:
If you watch when the pass is made, Puyol (no slouch in the speed stakes although not in Henry's class) is directly between the ball and Henry.
The pass sucked in the first place, in Henry's place I'd have turned and yelled at the passer instead of actually running for it.

Obviously, defending correctly he made sure he stayed in the way and put his arm out to fend Henry off - Henry ran into the arm. Still not a foul, IMO.
That's exactly what Boularouz did against Figo, he made sure he stayed in the way and put his arm out to fend him off. Unlike Henry, Figo actually managed to make the contact look more dramatic though, by lowering his head down to a level where he could be hit by the elbow of an eight-year-old. ;)

It would have been okay if Puyol had just tried to shield off the ball from Henry with his body, the second he makes that movement with his elbow towards Henry it becomes a foul. That's jus the way the rules are interpreted these days, its not like that's anything new to this WC. Its just an ordinary little foul that definitely can be given, its the acting afterward that gives it a bitter taste. If I had to ref that situation I'd give the fould against Puyol, but show Henry the yellow card for his acting. That's only after watching the replays half a dozen times on TV though, a luxury commodity the refs unfortunatelly don't have.

I think I must be a throwback to the days when football was a man's game without all this falling over and rolling around given the slightest opportunity. ;)
Amen, see my rant above...

Back