World Cup 2006

DemoCoder said:
Atleast the baseball fans can claim that scoring and statistics in baseball have real meaning.
If you like statistics then play with an Excel spreadsheet. If you like passion, excitement, heartache and spectacle then watch a football match.

Diplo said:
If you like statistics then play with an Excel spreadsheet. If you like passion, excitement, heartache and spectacle then watch a football match.

I'd say all sports have this. You just have to be a fan of them.

dantruon said:
Australia beat the European Champion (Greece), the Asian Champion (Japan), up next is the World Champion.....Brazil. This sound like street fighter.
Well, apparently they aren't invincible:
Australia beat Brazil the last time they met, in the third place play-off at the 2001 Confederations Cup in Korea, but failed to score a goal against them in the five previous meetings, including the 1997 Confederations final when they were thumped 6-0.
.. buts the odds aren't good!:???:

Finally Sweden managed to find the goal after completly dominating the game. In the 87 minute I was sure this would be another draw. Paraguya's Valdez was decent with his speed but couldn't find the goal either. Well deserved win for Sweden.

CosmoKramer said:
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:smile: :smile:

A cliffhanger, like the Germany-Poland game yesterday :)

Loads of exiciting matches so far.

Cheers

Diplo said:
I think the right word is drama. As in "drama queens". I've never seen so many people fall down and fake injuries in such transparent fashion. Even WWF does a better job of acting.

Diplo said:

I get those from Tennis, Basketball, Gridiron, Volleyball, even Hockey. Hell, Team Badminton is more exciting. Perhaps you think drama is waiting 5 to 10 minutes for someone to get close enough to take a goofy desparation shot at a goal... :)

DemoCoder said:
Perhaps you think drama is waiting 5 to 10 minutes for someone to get close enough to take a goofy desparation shot at a goal... :)
Football is like good sex - it's not all about shooting :) Enjoy the foreplay!

Mariner said:
England qualify. Phew! :smile:

We need to play about ten times better than that if we're going to get past the second round.

Only ten times? I was thinking eleven at least! :) Wow what a performance ... and I mean bad performance! Those boys really don't have the bottle to go all the way ... Erikson looked shit scared and clueless. We're going to lose to Germany in the next round, get your bets placed now. England are history! Oh well, maybe next time.

My only hope for England is that, traditionally under Eriksson, we've always saved our best performances for the top sides (Although even then we seem incapable of playing much more than 45 minutes to our full potential). In all honesty, I think we need a big game against Germany or the like to kick our big names into gear.

Truth be told I'd prefer it if Sweden gets to challenge Germany, Ecuador scares the crap out of me. That is as long as Trinidad tobago doesn't upset Paraguya and England manages their first win against sweden in a few generations. (Which I thought was a given before the World cup started).

DigitalSoul said:
Congrats to England. I was rooting for Trinidad....even though its not my "home" country, we are still from the same ocean ;)

Yeah, I thought we were going to get the point with only 10 mins to go but they had been peppering us all game and had to score some time. Lampard apparently left his compass at home else we wouldve gotten about 6 :LOL:

The english fans are pretty cool though, looks like we've earned their respect. The number of neutrals supporting T&T is amazing. We'll have yet another set of fans rooting for us vs paraguay. Gonna be nigh impossible to make the round of 16 now that sweden has 4 points but stranger things have happened.

RussSchultz said:
I think the right word is drama. As in "drama queens". I've never seen so many people fall down and fake injuries in such transparent fashion. Even WWF does a better job of acting.

There is acting (see the entire Argentinian team) and I dislike it as much as the next guy but most people who don't play football have no idea what a real injury looks like. On TV it might look like nothing but if you ever play the game competitively you'll have a much better appreciation for how much that shit hurts when u get hit.

DemoCoder said:
Perhaps you think drama is waiting 5 to 10 minutes for someone to get close enough to take a goofy desparation shot at a goal... :)

Hmmmm anyone who thinks that excitement and skill in football is only demonstrated when a goal scores obviously doesnt have a clue :p

trinibwoy said:
What the hell, apparently the crouch goal is all over german media cause it looks like he fouled the defender. He yanked sanchos dreads mighty hard :oops:

:Shock: I found it immediately pretty strange that the defender stayed on the ground. That is completely unfair. :devilish:

But again if the referee does not blow his whistle, it is not officially a foul.

EDIT: OMG, did everybody see Argentinia's second goal, unbelievable. So far that team is the favourite for the world cup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back