World Cup 2006

France haven't scored in the World Cup since the 1998 final. People expect too much of people who are past it quite frankly. That goes for half the French team and a couple of Brazilians.

Yep, France have been playing bland, boring football for a fair few years now - The likes of Henry really are wasted on them at the moment.

Hehe. Yeah France.

- win the World Cup for the first and only time on home soil
- get knocked out early on in the next tournament
- do bugger all on the international stage for the forty years

Sounds strangely familiar.

hupfinsgack said:
Sweden : Trinidad & Tobago 0:0 :LOL:

Yep and with a wing, a prayer and another good performance by hislop we (yes im a trini :)) might actually have a chance at a point against england tomorrow. The english are expecting the game to be a warmup match for rooney and it would be nice to quiet the hooligans for a bit. :LOL:

Kaka was the best player during the Brazil x Croat match. Some numbers:
Kicks to the goal: 4
Goal: 1
Good pass: 40
Received faults: 5
Crossing pass: 3
Received pass: 58
Escape: 4
Balls lost: 10

trinibwoy said:
Yep and with a wing, a prayer and another good performance by hislop we (yes im a trini :)) might actually have a chance at a point against england tomorrow. The english are expecting the game to be a warmup match for rooney and it would be nice to quiet the hooligans for a bit. :LOL:
Well England have a habit of making our lives difficult for ourselves -- which in this case would entail a draw/loss to T&T meaning we'd really need to get a result against Sweden (which we haven't managed since the days of black & white television). So you do have fate on your side :)

As for Rooney, from the reports we've been hearing it sounds like he's so hyper-pumped-up to get on the pitch and get involved it really wouldn't surprise me if he gets sent off or injures himself pretty quickly (I'm actually looking for an online bookmaker where I can place a bet on him getting a red card during his return match!).

nutball said:
Hehe. Yeah France.

- win the World Cup for the first and only time on home soil
- get knocked out early on in the next tournament
- do bugger all on the international stage for the forty years

Sounds strangely familiar.

Hey, at least the French really won the final :LOL:

nutball said:
As for Rooney, from the reports we've been hearing it sounds like he's so hyper-pumped-up to get on the pitch and get involved it really wouldn't surprise me if he gets sent off or injures himself pretty quickly

Heh, that would be nice. We need all the help we can get with that defense we have (or dont have). But either way its going to be a big game for those fellas, we dont exactly get the chance to play big european sides too often :)

What is going on?

Josip Simunic: "I dont know what you people is talking about. Ronaldo is the most dangerous player in the world and I am 100% sure he will make 4 or 5 goals during the world cup"
The last game was the 100th game Ronaldo played officially with a Brazillian Federation shirt. One more goal and he will have more goals than Pele as leading World Cup goalscorer !!!

In the end the coach and advisers decided to keep him for the next sunday game.

Gerd Muller is the top World Cup goalscorer by 2 goals at the moment. 14 goals in 2 World Cups.

Ronaldo is on 12 so he needs a couple to match Muller.

I suppose you're right in the fact that he's almost the leading Brazilian World Cup scorer! :p

I'm afraid I can't agree that Ronaldo is the most dangerous player in the world. Any of Ronaldinho, Rooney, Kaka, Riquelme, Gerrard or Shevchenko rank as more dangerous in my book.

Yes, you are right. Muller is unforgetable ;)

I am still trying to understand why Ronaldo was so bad. He looked overwheight.
Some people say it is the side effect of too much cortisone. Do you remenber 1998 when he had that mysterious pregame reaction to a cortisone shot?

epicstruggle said:
I read somewhere that he has water boils on the sole of his feet. If true, that can be a bit painful.
He has five after New Zealand match.

Spain is playing well :) The partial is Spain 2x0 Ucrain.

epicstruggle said:
I read somewhere that he has water boils on the sole of his feet. If true, that can be a bit painful.

Water boils? Sounds almost as nasty as blisters and they can be bloody painful! :smile:

To be honest, I watched quite a few Real Madrid games on TV this season and in general Ronaldo has been rubbish. He's looked unfit and disinterested which is a real pity when you consider the player he was in the past. I get the feeling he's just lost interest in the game.

Spain look pretty decent although the Ukraine look poor. Will this finally be Spain's year or will they bottle it as usual, I wonder?

Congrats to Spain!

Maybe this will be the year.. But they have a couple of games left to flop yet, off course.

Mariner said:
To be honest, I watched quite a few Real Madrid games on TV this season and in general Ronaldo has been rubbish. He's looked unfit and disinterested which is a real pity when you consider the player he was in the past. I get the feeling he's just lost interest in the game.

Ronaldo was fat, unfit, uninterested against Arsenal in the Champions League - World Cup looks no different so far.

Back