World Cup 2006

epicstruggle said:
Wow, ghana is really playing aggressive. I wonder if italy can keep up.

edit: Damn ghana is letting me down. :( Italy 1-0

Italy just played as much as they needed to win. They probably realized very quickly that Ghana's shooting attempts were weak and their cross were a joke. Italy's renowned for their efficiency.

hupfinsgack said:
Italy just played as much as they needed to win. They probably realized very quickly that Ghana's shooting attempts were weak and their cross were a joke. Italy's renowned for their efficiency.

Looks like Italy and the Czechs are going to progress from group E. Both teams have the same qualities: well organized defense, playing with great concentration and conceding few chances, as well as skill, pace and, very important, great effectiveness in the offensive game.

Italy - Czech republic is going to be da bomb.

Cheers

Mariner said:
You see, talking about 'plays' is why we British take the Mickey of Americans and footy! What the hell is a play in football anyway? Anything like the patented English, 'have Beckham whip the ball into the box and hope the opposition concede an own-goal' technique? :p
A 'play' being a well placed through-ball or cross... anything. We had nothing during the game today.

And both Ghana and Italy looked real good. We're still in it, but I'm not too optimistic.

Gubbi said:
Looks like Italy and the Czechs are going to progress from group E. Both teams have the same qualities: well organized defense, playing with great concentration and conceding few chances, as well as skill, pace and, very important, great effectiveness in the offensive game.

Italy - Czech republic is going to be da bomb.

Cheers

And they will give their souls to win, because the one that loses, if everything goes as expected, will fight Brazil next round.

rashly said:
The Czechs came out strong, but the US just played like garbage. We got beat everywhere on the pitch and especially couldn;t make anything happen on offense. Every time we'd get it down to the 18 the Czechs would break it up. We had no plays and terrible teamwork.

Let's hope this was just a one time deal and the US can do better against Italy. We aren't out of it yet.

Hey, just the fact that the US qualified is already a nice thing for a "newbie". Czechs are very experienced and a rather hard opponent for anyone.

_xxx_ said:
Hey, just the fact that the US qualified is already a nice thing for a "newbie". Czechs are very experienced and a rather hard opponent for anyone.

Eehm. The US team played every WC since 1990 if I remember correctly and they didn't do bad in Japan/Korea either.

The US continue their proud tradition of 8 games and 8 defeats at World Cups played in Europe. Pretty funny how they are ranked 5th in the world.

Blitzkrieg said:
The US continue their proud tradition of 8 games and 8 defeats at World Cups played in Europe. Pretty funny how they are ranked 5th in the world.

Yeah and Mexico is 4th, way ahead of Argentinia. This ranking is as pointless as american football.

hupfinsgack said:
Eehm. The US team played every WC since 1990 if I remember correctly and they didn't do bad in Japan/Korea either.

You do know how old the WC is? 1990 was just yesterday! ;)

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that it's a great success for a country where football (soccer) is nowhere near being one of the most popular sports, that's all...

_xxx_ said:
You do know how old the WC is? 1990 was just yesterday! ;)

Hey, I am from Austria. Do you how often we've been to the WC since 1990? :LOL: In fact, 2008 is going to be the first time we're in the EC and only because we're they hosts :LOL:

hupfinsgack said:
Hey, I am from Austria. Do you how often we've been to the WC since 1990? :LOL: In fact, 2008 is going to be the first time we're in the EC and only because we're they hosts :LOL:

Triple-x just thinks 1990 is yesterday because that's the last time Germany won the WC :).

Cheers

hupfinsgack said:

Why should you, you laid-back people in Austria have much nicer things to do than to bother with football. Seriously. I'll live in Wien one day.

Btw, you just reminded me that I wanted to order a nice original Sacher-Torte for the friend's birthday next week, I almost forgot it, thanks! :)

EDIT: Gubbi, you're almost as evil as BuHu! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brazil today :D Looking forward to some seriously sexy football being played.

Rys said:
Brazil today :D Looking forward to some seriously sexy football being played.

Heh, seen a couple of seriously sexy italian footballers last night!! :D

EDIT: oh wait...

Oh by the way GO ITALIA GO!!!

london-boy said:
Heh, seen a couple of seriously sexy italian footballers last night!! :D
My girlfriend sat through her first ever full 90 mins of football just to watch that game and ogle Fabio Cannavaro :LOL:

Rys said:
My girlfriend sat through her first ever full 90 mins of football just to watch that game and ogle Fabio Cannavaro :LOL:

And I hope for the entire 90 mins you were whispering in her ear, "Oooh, you should see him in HD!" ;)

Rys said:
His wife and children were at the stadium watching the game yesterday :D

Back