Apple Counter-Sues Creative. . .

they've been suing and settling on alot of really dumb issues for years when it comes to MP3 players/interfaces and its software. Cant say i'm surprised. Patent system is a joke.

Can you imagine the hell it will be 500 years from now? Almost every basic design principal will have been patented.

DemoCoder said:
Creative's patent is so broad, they essentially patented tree navigation!

Which is part of what makes the icons comeback amusing, don't you think?

God i hope that apple smacks the crap out of creative. I really want more choices in the audio card market, and creative has used the lawsuit card way too often for my taste.

epic

epicstruggle said:
God i hope that apple smacks the crap out of creative. I really want more choices in the audio card market, and creative has used the lawsuit card way too often for my taste.

epic

This has nothing to do with audio cards, this is their personal "MP3 player war" thats been going on almost since the Ipod launched.

SugarCoat said:
This has nothing to do with audio cards, this is their personal "MP3 player war" thats been going on almost since the Ipod launched.
It looks an awful lot like what they did in the audio card war. Sue your competition out of business.

epic

epicstruggle said:
It looks an awful lot like what they did in the audio card war. Sue your competition out of business.

epic

I seriously doubt Apple or the Ipods are going anyplace :p. Likewise for the Creative Zens. Apple isnt innocent either, they've been attacking online music distribution sites for copying iTunes which is dumb in its own right. Its just plain and simple greed.

epicstruggle said:

epic

Only that Creative is like 10 times as rich/big as Apple, so it's unlikely that Apple can ever sue them out of business.

akira888 said:
Apple's market capitalization is more than hundred times that of Creative Labs.
Yup. And with ~15 times the turnaround and >30 times the cash on hand I highly doubt that Apple will go broke first. Too bad really (although I have little love for Creative). The rapid fall of former competitors like iRiver can leave the market void of competition, and the only ones I can see putting up a fight are the cell phone vendors.

Creative actually makes a great gaming card, what they release for developers to use is really way of ahead of what they use.

Now if you want to get down to audiophile sound quality (and forget about games) then there are actually MANY good solutions out there. People just seem to think its Creative and that's it, far from it really.

I frankly like Creative for the most part, though they really screwed over the Emu boards, I enjoy their MP3 players and think they finally got the sound card thing right with the X-Fi which is a nice card for what it is. If you want audiophile quality sound then you're honestly either looking for much more expensive parts like dedicated DACs and the such.

If you were replying to me, the no competition part was implying the lack of competition for Apple as far as MP3 players go. (Apple could do to CL what CL did to Aureal.)

Soundcards are a bit off topic, but I actually believe that Creative shot themselves a bit in the foot by becoming so dominant in a shrinking market. More competition could have led to more innovation and a situation with a faster product turnaround and more PCs using add-in soundcards than is the situation today (where they’re really reduced to being niche products).</offtopic>

what sucks with Apple is you can only play your itunes bought music on an Ipod (or the itunes software). Nasty vendor lock-in, though bypassable with burning CDs and ripping them (inconvenient, slow and degrades quality).. till they decide one day that you're not allowed to do this.

At least a Creative sound card works with every piece of software and every amp/speakers/headphones.
sure, in both cases you have a near monopoly (and actual competition), but Apple is the more evil to consumers with its vendor lock in protected by the DMCA (break it, and face ahuge fine and years in prison)

Apple and Creative settled their outstanding legal issues today with Apple forking over $100 million. With close to $8 billion in the bank, they can afford it...
"Creative is very fortunate to have been granted this early patent," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "This settlement resolves all of our differences with Creative, including the five lawsuits currently pending between the companies, and removes the uncertainty and distraction of prolonged litigation."

"very fortunate"? wtf does that mean? :LOL: Somebody went to Steve and told him, dude, we have to have a quote from you, and it has to sound sorta friendly? Then when he got done cussing they promised him it didn't have to be *actually* friendly?

Instead of paying the cocks at creative $100M, apple should have had a stupid patent like that invalidated as it's obviously neither novel, nor non-trivial. Databases working just like the playlist of an ipod existed decades prior to creative taking out that patent for example.

Back