Xbox 360 Another Red Ring of Death Victim :(

I never reply to these threads either, basically because I have never had any problems with any console (apart from my PS2). However my launch 360 gave me the flashing ring of doom on the weekend. I went through the information as the website suggested but to no avail. However the CS was top notch, courier and other documantation sent by email and the machine has been wisked away already fro repair with a time of 7days quoted. The only negative besides the machine having failed is that CS stated that game save data could be lost.

could be lost? so they attampt to transfer it from one drive to the other? That's pretty cool. Or maybe they just re-use your HDD if that's not the problem...

My Xbox 360 just died today. I bought it at launch, so of course the hilarious 90 day warranty expired.

A month ago is when it first acted up -- I booted it up and put in the GRAW disc, then the screen quickly froze, lots of noise appeared on it, distorted image, etc. and the speakers began to squeal.

I unplugged all cables from it, let it sit for a few minutes, and plugged it in again and all was fine.

Today I turn on the console to get the software update, and the same thing happens, but on the dashboard. I try unplugging everything (including the HDD) several times, and it doesn't fix it. Only without the HDD connected, the screen goes black and the console stays on (but is still frozen).

Called tech support, and they say I need a new box but they've never heard of this problem before? I get to keep the HDD, they're sending me a box that I should send my console back. $157CDN including tax/shipping/etc, and a few weeks without an Xbox 360. :(

Hindsight is 20/20...I know extended warranties are a source of profit, which means most people get screwed.

I bought an Xbox(1) on launchday with no problems. :(

Where I live - 2 years for free, mandated by law. :D
90 days, psh! :LOL:

I wonder what I'll do the day the fans conk out on any of these modern consoles. In the good ol days THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY! In fact there were barely any moving parts at all, apart from maybe a flap or two and a few switches. No wonder those old tanks last forever...

Guden Oden said:
Where I live - 2 years for free, mandated by law. :D
90 days, psh! :LOL:
2 years for free? Or "2 years for free but only because I don't realize that they're making it up somewhere else since obviously the added expense of the free 2 year warranty will be passed on to the consumer somewhere"?

Then again, I wouldn't mind that free/required warranty/PSP right about now as I seriously doubt my judgement in passing up the optional one...:D

standing ovation said:
Neither I nor IGN know what the actual return rate is.
Agreed. Then explain why you said this:
standing ovation said:
Undoubtedly, Microsoft's claim of a 3 to 5 percent return rate are amiss by factors of ten.
Undoubtedly?

You're nuts if you think 30-50% of XB360's fail. 3-5% sounds right for the amount of coverage we're getting about dying machines. You should go to AVS forum and listen to them complain about their gear. I'm sure you'd conclude 50% failure rate from them. Some of them are claiming that nearly all Sony SXRD TV's have this "green blob" issue, and they've been through several sets with it. The latter may be true, but it does not imply the former.

Microsoft would not sell a console with even close to 20% defect rate, just like Sony wouldn't sell their flagship $4000 TV with a 50% return rate.

Asher said:
Hindsight is 20/20...I know extended warranties are a source of profit, which means most people get screwed.
Hehe, one of my math teachers way back called extended warranties and insurance a tax on the stupid. :D

Mintmaster said:
Hehe, one of my math teachers way back called extended warranties and insurance a tax on the stupid. :D

Ya they taught me that in school too, but I think they base that on typical averages across all products. For years I refused to buy them, but it ended up costing me in the long run. It's different when you're an early adopter for a games console than when you're buying a new TV or dishwasher, one carries much more risk than the other.

Actually Acert93 I was referring mainly to the originally lauched batch of Xbox 360 consoles. Like many I got mine on Day 1. I do agree that as they refine the fabrication lines etc., then there will be more solid consoles and defects will decrease. I would like to know the number of returns of the first release batch (500k units? or there abouts if memory serves me correct. Out of the first batch I would argue the 3-5% number. Overall to this date I think its probably reasonable number.

My whole point of this was just to advise people that if you were one of the first to get the Xbox 360 then get the warranty if you didnt get it at launch. Nothing more then personal opinion and my personal experience to help others safeguard themselves against this possability. In no way am I against the Xbox 360 (although Im going through withdrawls while waiting for repairs :)) and I have nothing but praise for the system so far. But like any new product that is this complex there is a risk so pay a few extra dollars to make sure its covered. (Dont go through the withdrawls like me and if it does happen you wont get hit by a $100+ bill or buy a new console to correct it :))

Sis said:
2 years for free? Or "2 years for free but only because I don't realize that they're making it up somewhere else since obviously the added expense of the free 2 year warranty will be passed on to the consumer somewhere"?
In the UK there's a little known law about the fair lifespan of a products during which they should work and the owner should not need to pay for repairs and replacements. Invariably people buy extended warranties but a simple reference to this law provides the coverage. After all, is it really fair that you can buy a product that if it fails after 90 days, you have to pay for repairs? A 90 day lifespan is far too short to be useable. Likewise a TV should be expected to last longer than 1 year.

You might want to digging up Canadian law and see if they have something similar. I know UK law (well, English, and the Scots do their own things and mostly a lot better!)is adopted by a lot of nations especially CommonWealth.

So....

As of yesterday, you can add me to the red ring list, one of my 360s just decided to:

Sections 1, 3, and 4 are flashing red
- General Hardware Failure
/ \
\ /

The specific type of hardware failure can be determined by a "hidden" error code
  • Turn the xbox 360 on, and wait till the 3 red lights are flashing.
  • Press and hold the sync up button (the small white one), while holding that button press the eject button.
  • The LEDs will now blink the first number in the code (as described below).
  • Release the eject button and press it again.
  • The LEDs will now blink the second number of the code.
  • The LEDs will now blink the third number of the code.
  • The LEDs will now blink the forth number of the code.
  • The LEDs will go back to the 3 red flashing lights.
You should be able to determine the difference between the 3 flashing lights and the error code lights by the rate in which they flash.

Here is how you interpret the LEDs to get the code number:
  • All four lights flashing - 0
  • One light flashing - 1
  • Two Lights flashing - 2
  • Three lights flashing - 3
0001 power supply problem
0002 power supply problem
0010 over heating
0011 over heating
0012 over heating
0013 over heating
0020 (Not yet known, possibly overheating)
0102 unknown error
1022 (Not yet known)

THINGS TO TRY
  1. Try restarting the console.
  2. If restarting the console does not resolve the behavior, follow these steps:
    • Turn the console off.
    • Unplug all the power and AV cables from the console.
    • Unplug the power cord from the wall socket.
    • Firmly reconnect all the cables.
    • Turn on the console.
  3. If these steps do not resolve the behavior, turn the console off, remove the hard drive, and then turn on the console. If the 3x Red LED error light is no longer displayed, turn the console off, re-attach the hard drive, and then turn on the console.
On the bright side having been in the CE retail industry, I most definitely bought the store Service Plans (on from EB, the other from CompUSA), now its just a matter of making sure I take it to the right place...after I FIND the warranty papers.

I thought maybe I had not put the hdd on all the way, but both hdds work on the bedroom 360 (which is now in the living room, until the other gets fixed). I can't blame the Table Tennis game, cause I spent about 2 hours playing it on the other one (that game is a lot more fun than I thought it would be). I guess by having two 360s I had my own in home warranty plan :D

Shifty Geezer said:
In the UK there's a little known law about the fair lifespan of a products during which they should work and the owner should not need to pay for repairs and replacements. Invariably people buy extended warranties but a simple reference to this law provides the coverage. After all, is it really fair that you can buy a product that if it fails after 90 days, you have to pay for repairs? A 90 day lifespan is far too short to be useable. Likewise a TV should be expected to last longer than 1 year.

You might want to digging up Canadian law and see if they have something similar. I know UK law (well, English, and the Scots do their own things and mostly a lot better!)is adopted by a lot of nations especially CommonWealth.
Well, I was mostly joking, but calling it free is like calling the roads free. Someone somewhere is paying for it, and so are you, just indirectly.

Also, I think you're mixing me up with scoob--I live in the states. :D

NucNavST3 said:
On the bright side having been in the CE retail industry, I most definitely bought the store Service Plans (on from EB, the other from CompUSA), now its just a matter of making sure I take it to the right place...after I FIND the warranty papers.

Warrantee should be tied to serial # no? I know that's how the MS warrantee works.

Shifty - no law like that in canada, though I wish there was, it's a damn good one!

Mintmaster said:
You're nuts if you think 30-50% of XB360's fail. 3-5% sounds right for the amount of coverage we're getting about dying machines.

A 3 to 5 percent return rate is an ideal. New products, particularly electronic ones, are rarely this refined. So it's understandable that those with a vested interest (like the manufacturer) would downplay the gravity of the situation.

Microsoft would not sell a console with even close to 20% defect rate, just like Sony wouldn't sell their flagship $4000 TV with a 50% return rate.

Ah, how quickly we forget history. ;)

[size=-2]"Microsoft announced last week that it will recall 14.1 million power cords for its Xbox video game console after a defect gave some users minor singe burns and scorched carpets.

This recall covered all Xboxes made for continental Europe before January. 13, 2004, and units made for the rest of the world before October. 23, 2003.

The recall represents a significant portion of the worldwide Xbox installed base of more than 20 million. Microsoft debuted the Xbox in November 2001 in the United States and subsequently rolled it out worldwide."[/size]​

Shifty Geezer said:

lucky bastages
we get screwd in the states at 90 days.

I agree, no way should we pay for up to 2 years IMO.

standing ovation said:
Ah, how quickly we forget history. ;)
[SIZE=-2]"Microsoft announced last week that it will recall 14.1 million power cords for its Xbox video game console after a defect gave some users minor singe burns and scorched carpets.

This recall covered all Xboxes made for continental Europe before January. 13, 2004, and units made for the rest of the world before October. 23, 2003.

The recall represents a significant portion of the worldwide Xbox installed base of more than 20 million. Microsoft debuted the Xbox in November 2001 in the United States and subsequently rolled it out worldwide."[/SIZE]​
exactly

in fact there were FIVE severe problems reported about the power supply. That prompted MS to act in replacing a potential problem. That is called good customer service.

5 problems out of 20 million? .00000025% failure rate, damn MS you crooks :devilish:

NucNav sorry to hear about that bro, that sucks, I gotta admit I'm very paranoid about mine coppin out.

scooby_dooby said:
5 problems out of 20 million? .00000025% failure rate, damn MS you crooks :devilish:

NucNav sorry to hear about that bro, that sucks, I gotta admit I'm very paranoid about mine coppin out.
Intercooler :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back