Running Ubuntu Dapper in a VBC - video corruption.

zsouthboy

Regular
I have Virtual PC installed, with the latest updates applied.

Upon booting into the latest (and actually, other versions too) version of Ubuntu, I get a corrupted screen in VPC, which looks like X is using the wrong video driver.

Ideas?

It works fine in VMWare, btw, but I prefer VPC for the speed.

link to image:

http://www.zsouthboy.com/crappy.gif

EDIT: dammit, a typo in the topic :(

I'm not. :)

VPC has a fully emulated video card (can't remember which one though)

And I found the problem

VPC does not support 24-bit color, which is what my linux installs are defaulting to (as the emulated video chipset does support that)

So I'm back to using VMWare, which is fine I guess.

zsouthboy said:
I'm not. :)

VPC has a fully emulated video card (can't remember which one though)

And I found the problem

VPC does not support 24-bit color, which is what my linux installs are defaulting to (as the emulated video chipset does support that)

So I'm back to using VMWare, which is fine I guess.
24-bit color on X = 32-bit color on Windows. different terminology.

Why would the OS default to something that is unsupported by the hardware/driver? Rather, it should automatically fall back to the least common denominator so that a viewable graphics image can be presented to the user.

Just goes to show that linux still isn't a serious OS, but rather merely fit for hackers and tinkerers...

Guden Oden said:
Why would the OS default to something that is unsupported by the hardware/driver? Rather, it should automatically fall back to the least common denominator so that a viewable graphics image can be presented to the user.

Just goes to show that linux still isn't a serious OS, but rather merely fit for hackers and tinkerers...
In this case, it really just shows that VPC is a POS.

vmware FTW.

Once again, I'll say that I prefer the speed of VPC, but I end up using Vmware for all non-MS OSes.

/VPC 2k3 Box with visual studio, etc, on it.. i can start where I left off, on ANY machine.

Back