New Warhawk news and video!

Tap In said:
looking good ... I played the crap out of warhawk on PS.... what a great experience...

but do you have a link on the 60fps?
I thought it was 30 unless I'm confusing it with Motorstorm or Resistance which I know is 30.
I think its in one of the dev interview vids on the Warhawk website, it's also in the quote of the OP of this thread.

Bad_Boy said:
I think its in one of the dev interview vids on the Warhawk website, it's also in the quote of the OP of this thread.

ok thanks but that's just a quote from a post at GAF.

No reason to doubt it, I was just curious if it was confirmed.

Tap In said:
ok thanks but that's just a quote from a post at GAF.

No reason to doubt it, I was just curious if it was confirmed.
Sorry, heres a better link.

The final game will run in 720p resolution, but Jobe said first that a 60-frame-per-second draw rate is the team's top priority, which it will not compromise on (always a nice thing to hear).
http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?event=e32006&sid=6150306&pid=928383
I beleive the person in that GAF quote got the info from that article, not 100% sure though..

cool, thanks BB :smile:

my favorite part of this game on PS was dropping down into the water to make a sea-spray. :p

iirc, the first 3D console free form flyer/shooter

Yeah, overall the game sounds like a pretty impressive launch title. If they can get 800 other planes flying around and still keep 60fps with all the goodies on, consider me impressed.

Bad_Boy said:
Yeah, overall the game sounds like a pretty impressive launch title. If they can get 800 other planes flying around and still keep 60fps with all the goodies on, consider me impressed.
From watching the E3 coverage, I think that 800 number includes non-interactive battles in the extreme background.

but if it's a wide open world you should be able to fly into them no?

Tap In said:
From watching the E3 coverage, I think that 800 number includes non-interactive battles in the extreme background.

but if it's a wide open world you should be able to fly into them no?
I read somewhere that they actually have that many running in gameplay, infact they actually could do more than that but the gameplay suffered as there were so many planes flying around it was taking away from the fun. I'll try to find the link/article.

Bad_Boy said:
I read somewhere that they actually have that many running in gameplay, infact they actually could do more than that but the gameplay suffered as there were so many planes flying around it was taking away from the fun. I'll try to find the link/article.

holy crap

Tap In said:
holy crap
yup, here it is.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/716/716051p1.html
IGN: How many ships and vehicles can be displayed onscreen at once?

Upton: Hundreds! Actually, we've done tests where there are too many enemies on the screen! After a certain point it turns into total chaos and it's hard to fly for 5 seconds without slamming into another plane, which obviously isn't very fun. As we tune each of the missions we're trying to keep them as crowded as possible and still be fun and playable.

A little comment from Warhawk's producer on online and using PS3 as a dedicated server in Warhawk:

Sony's not going to charge you. That allows us some freedom. If, hypothetically, Sony was incredibly rigid and you had to pay for everything, then we wouldn't be able to allow gamers to host their own servers or have these more complicated network structures. Sony gives us a lot of freedom in that regard. In Warhawk, you can use a PS3 as a dedicated server. You'll see stats, the map, and all of that, so you can be an administrator.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3152329

Not very practical for many, but if you have the bandwidth and another $500 for a second PS3 (or just fancy 'sacrificing' your own), you'll probably make lots of friends ;)

Sounds good to me. Another confirmation of free online gaming. I dig the administration private server bit also. Im kinda interested in how they will implement the friends lists with online gaming.

Titanio said:
Not very practical for many, but if you have the bandwidth and another $500 for a second PS3 (or just fancy 'sacrificing' your own), you'll probably make lots of friends ;)

I dunno, Id be kinda scared to leave a first gen PS3 on for a prolonged period of time. ;)

Anyhow I guess this was expected from some but Im glad to see it semi-confirmed. More freedom for the end user is definitely a good thing. If Sony manages to come up with a quality centralized service to tie the community/e-distro features together with this more open PC esque approach, this online platform could have a lot of promise. Thats the big If though.

Now what Im curious about is whether or not SCE is going to fit the bill for their own dedicated servers, at least for their first party lineup. Coming out of the gate with titles boasting 32 and 40 multiplayer seems pretty ambitious. Did they use dedicated servers for SOCOM?

There is less controller lag in that video than had been previously reported (looks to be about 1/4 - 1/2 a second?) - it's hard to tell because of the way the guy moves it.
Looks good watching but I wonder if the lag is more noticable when playing. Combined with online lag could be irritating.
Looks very fluid. Time will tell how precise it is. Pretty much impossible to gather from such a video.

I'm still very much of the opinion that a games major form of control being controller motion (in other words, ps3/wii) will just be far too tiring for extended periods of play. Just hold a TV remote, wave it around for 2 minutes. It's very difficult to keep going after the first minute.

This would explain why he's playing one handed; to rest. No doubt he's been running demos for a while.

I dont think the guy was tired, I think he was just showing how easy it is to use the 6-axis control, and that infact you dont have to wave the controller around like a madman.

Graham said:
There is less controller lag in that video than had been previously reported (looks to be about 1/4 - 1/2 a second?) - it's hard to tell because of the way the guy moves it.
No, it's hard to tell, because a flying aircraft has a certain mass and inertia associated with it. Due to the laws of physics (simulated, in this case), it's going to take a certain amount of time before a craft reacts to input and reaches the desired angle.

Exactly. The craft can't instantly take the position of the controller. The controller is just setting the position the player wants it to be, and waits for the plane to adjust at it's maximum rate. You could have instant respnose but it'd look decdedly rubbish! Any lag for the signal will be in the milliseconds range, not substantial fractions of seconds. Unfortunately as this is the only current example of motion control, people take it as the only indicator of uses and response.

Titanio said:
A little comment from Warhawk's producer on online and using PS3 as a dedicated server in Warhawk:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3152329

Now developers themselves can buy dozens of PS3 for their own official games servers. "Cell in a game server" may be just a stack of PS3 or PS3 devkits :smile:

Back