SquareEnix explains why FFXIII is PS3 exclusive - DVD9 not enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to break up this wonderful discussion, but to my attention, we seem to have some new (but small) screenshots.
FFXIII: http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/06/13/104,1150190650,54802,0,0.html

FFvsXIII: http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/06/13/104,1150196974,54811,0,0.html
thx to someone over at GAF for the links.

I think this is one of those games id buy just to see the pretty graphics at work alone.
h1045480219jpg3xo.jpg

h1045480221jpg3gf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy said:
Hate to break up this wonderful discussion, but to my attention, we seem to have some new (but small) screenshots.
FFXIII: http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/06/13/104,1150190650,54802,0,0.html

FFvsXIII: http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/06/13/104,1150196974,54811,0,0.html
thx to someone over at GAF for the links.

I think this is one of those games id buy just to see the pretty graphics at work alone.

This is going to be exciting to see when it comes out -- looks rather stunning.

[Moderated : Magazine Scan]

:oops: :oops: :oops:

If that's in battle blizzaga... ... you know when you start laughing because you're really really happy? Yeah... need to control that.

That'd be pretty awesome if they do what I think they're doing. Namely using spells/attacks to create tactical set ups. Like those weak to blizzard might get frozen in ice, giving you another opportunity to attack or the built up ice might form a sort of shield seperating you from some of the enemies after the attack. I've really been hoping they'll extend the FFX-2 engine with this sort of stuff. Strategy, beauty, and speed all in one neat package.

Now to read!

Bobbler said:
It is at roughly 1.8 million sold in the US now -- Europe is around 1 million and the rest is around 200-250k (give or take).

Where are you coming up with the numbers for EU and the rest of the world? Seem a little out of whack to me, if US is tracking at 1.8 then canada surely must be around 180k. Then there's the other 29 countries around the world. I think 250k is wayyy low.

Anyways, feel free to PM me your sources, as this is totally off-topic.

Mefisutoferesu said:
That'd be pretty awesome if they do what I think they're doing. Namely using spells/attacks to create tactical set ups. Like those weak to blizzard might get frozen in ice, giving you another opportunity to attack or the built up ice might form a sort of shield seperating you from some of the enemies after the attack. I've really been hoping they'll extend the FFX-2 engine with this sort of stuff. Strategy, beauty, and speed all in one neat package.

I hope you're on to something there. In fact didnt the dev team mention something about the battle system having some FFX-2 influences?

edited- my fault. even foreign mags eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
TheChefO said:
I was originally replying to Benskywalker as he drew an analogy to the cartridge days and the "need" for this storage ratio. But you are correct, this is vering off-topic.

Ontopic - as has been said before, this decision to put FF on ps3 only, is 100% political - not technical.

It all fits together. You are either advocating redundancy being utilized in an extreme fashion or surrendering next gen assets. Those are the choices you have if you are dealing with anything but an extremely linear title for the type we are talking about. Which huge compromise should they make so there won't be a technical reason for them not to do it?

As far as next gen goes the same issue is going to apply then. If your storage medium isn't a couple orders of magnitude greater then your available RAM then you are going to be looking at either content tailored well below the limitations of your systems capabilities or you are going to be facing a lot of redundancy in your assets. If you don't agree- please point out what other options there are. I would assume that the next gen platforms will be using a next gen optical medium. As far as quoting Wikipedia for pricing- would you like me to rewrite one of their articles talking about DVD9 costs skyrocketing to greater then $5K per disk? It only takes a few minutes.

TheChefO said:
Onto their reasoning. All of the above arguments say what exactly against the benefits of making this game multiplat?
You can say that about pretty much every game. FF has always been exclusive, like quite a few third party games. I don't know the reasoning behind it but SE obviously have theirs. Could be they liked working with the hardware. Could be they are very happy with the relationship with Sony. Could be the demo for E3 05 gave them a surprising leg-up on development. Could be something totally different. I don't think the reason was an HD drive, and I don't think the article was even talking about that as Arwin has pointed out. If instead of this thread being titled "SE explains why FFXIII is PS3 exclusive - DVD9 not enough" it was entitled "SE explains why FFXIII is dropped from PS2 in favour of PS3", it'd have been truer to the interview and been a lot shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back