Supreme Commander

Best Puzzle/Trivia/Parlor Game
Guitar Hero 2

Best Online Multiplayer
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Jury consisted of

TIME * Newsweek * Rolling Stone * Business 2.0 * Wired * Giant * USA Today *
* Los Angeles Times * The Washington Post * Gannett News Service *
San Jose Mercury News * Comcast Games.net * Computer Gaming World * Electronic Gaming Monthly * Game Informer * Game Informer Online * Gamepro * GameSpot * GameSpy * Comcast GamesNet * Hollywood Reporter * 1UP.com * GamesRadar * IGN * Official PlayStation Magazine * Official Xbox Magazine * PC Gamer * Playboy * PSM * UGO.com * Yahoo! Video Games * Sympatico.ca * Game-Revolution * CNN/Money * G4TV * MTV * Electric Playground

Last edited by a moderator:
Little suprised but glad at the same time that Wii got up over all. Dissapointed to see SM Galaxy not win, but at least it was nominated in its respective category. A bit of everything (Wii, PS3 & X360) won something, spread field.

Truth be told, I never thought that Gears of War would become as big as it did. Something about it just never made me feel that it would be a realy great game, on the other hand this all based just on a demo, it remains to be seen if this in the end will also translate into an overall great game. But so far this title has certainly surpized me...

Bobbler said:
I'm rather confused at them putting Heavenly Sword in the "fighting game" section.

since that was the only level shown at E3, I've read of several journalists who were confused about its true nature

Even when corrected, since that's all NT showed off and did it so well, perhaps they wanted to reward it by saying that it did arena fighting better than games dedicated to that genre.

Tap In said:
Even when corrected, since that's all NT showed off and did it so well, perhaps they wanted to reward it by saying that it did arena fighting better than games dedicated to that genre.

Well, to begin with fighting games were almost a no-show, as with the racing games. Otherwise a games with such mixed responses like Excite Trucks would never have won an award.

Didn't these people even look at Bioshock?

Pretty much everyone who knows games thought that Bioshock was the best game at E3, although Spore is a very close runner-up.

Powderkeg said:

Pretty much everyone who knows games thought that Bioshock was the best game at E3, although Spore is a very close runner-up.
Spore?

Why Spore? It was different but its not like it got the best impressions when it comes to gameplay

Powderkeg said:

I thought Bioshock was demonstrated behind closed doors? A good portion of those voting may not have been there at that time for whatever reason.

im getting the same feeling of spore as i have from black + white, i have a feeling the games gonna be a letdown
also check the 2005 awards, best of show = spore, original game = spore.
fast forward to 2009 best of show = spore, original game = spore.
(will wright - hmm perhaps it was a mistake to employ the dukenukem guys)

Spore is winning to many awards just for so far away from release. This game could win awards for the next 2 E3s.

And what the hell Excite Truck?:???:

Powderkeg said:

Actually, it was nominated in five categories.. Suprisingly, it won none of them.

mckmas8808 said:
Spore is winning to many awards just for so far away from release. This game could win awards for the next 2 E3s.

From the looks of peoples reaction to Nintendo's showing at e3, it seems that there is a bit of excitement influenceon everything to do with Nintendo. Everything that uses the new controller in ways yet to be experienced by those whom try it for the first time are likely to have a more positive outlook on that experience than without the new interface.

A good example of this spillover effect is when you have something great happen to/for/with you, everything outside of that experience also gets a boost. Songs you listen to on the radio etc etc. Mix a bit of nostalgia into it with Nintendo and this positive energy sort of grows (builds-on) itself.

Then of course it could just be a really great game ;)

mckmas8808 said:

Well, the only two playable racing games were MotorGP 06 and Excite Trucks. So there wasn't a lot competition in that genre. Although Excite Trucks got very mixed impressions, ít might have just been a tad more "interesting" or "attention catching"

hupfinsgack said:
Well, the only two playable racing games were MotorGP 06 and Excite Trucks. So there wasn't a lot competition in that genre. Although Excite Trucks got very mixed impressions, ít might have just been a tad more "interesting" or "attention catching"

Wasn't Motorstorm playable? :???:

Deepak said:
Wasn't Motorstorm playable? :???:

Ok, so it was three games, but the point remains valid, there wasn't much competition and Excite Trucks' controls seemed fresh. It was actually quite funny some impressions were totally negative, other said it was actually quite fun. However, it seemed hardly like a game deserving a racing game award.

Back