Sony Interview (Please Translate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NANOTEC said:
It doesn't take much to figure out that for web browsing, a stylus is a much superior input method than a thumbstick.

Of course it is, but browsing the net is hardly something that requires quick movements and high precision like playing a FPS. The thumbnipple definitely is less intuitive and arguably slower, but in the end we're talking about web browing here, not heart surgery.

mckmas8808 said:
What about screen size and resolution?

I already addressed that.

london-boy said:
Of course it is, but browsing the net is hardly something that requires quick movements and high precision like playing a FPS. The thumbnipple definitely is less intuitive and arguably slower, but in the end we're talking about web browing here, not heart surgery.

Directly clicking a link is much more convenient and intuitive than scrolling through a bunch of links or using a thumbstick or manuevering a cursors over a link. It's just clunky and not convenient at all. For simple webpages it might not matter but for pages with lots of links and or precicions clicking etc. it matters a whole lot and may even decide whether or not you want to endure the frustration just to browse the web. Going by your logic browsing the web on a PC with a control pad is ok compared to a mouse. No it's not ok it's plain crap. Anyone who thinks browsing the web using a control pad as being convenient vs a mouse is just being delusional. There's just no other way to put it. It's like navigating the web using a keyboard when you can easily use a mouse. What's the point? If you have a PSP and not a PDA then sure in your situtiation you have no choice but to claim PSP is more convenient than anything that exists because you do not own those other things that are more convenient for web browsing.

As far as boot up times for laptops to browse the web, there's a thing called hibernation and resume which takes a mere 7 seconds. In fact in standby or suspend the wakeup time is only a couple seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
NANOTEC said:
Directly clicking a link is much more convenient and intuitive than scrolling through a bunch of links or using a thumbstick or manuevering a cursors over a link. It's just clunky and not convenient at all. For simple webpages it might not matter but for pages with lots of links and or precicions clicking etc. it matters a whole lot and may even decide whether or not you want to endure the frustration just to browse the web. Going by your logic browsing the web on a PC with a control pad is ok compared to a mouse. No it's not ok it's plain crap. Anyone who thinks browsing the web using a control pad as being convenient vs a mouse is just being delusional. There's just no other way to put it. It's like navigating the web using a keyboard when you can easily use a mouse. What's the point? If you have a PSP and not a PDA then sure in your situtiation you have no choice but to claim PSP is more convenient than anything that exists because you do not own those other things that are more convenient for web browsing.
Wow. Comparing a PDA to a PSP.:rolleyes:

Ok then, why stop at web browsing? Why don't you compare the games? Why don't you compare screen quality/size?

Bottom line is, the analog stick is convenient given the circumstances. Sure, if the PSP was designed purely for emails, documents, applications, web browsing only, then I'm sure SONY would've seen it fit to include better interface for it -- but the problem is, it's a games machine first & foremost, and the interface was designed to accomadate for that first. Everything else will just have to make do with what is made available.

WRT your mouse analogy, well, it's flawed. PC's have many different "available" interfaces. You can buy a mouse, an analog/joystick, a touchpad, a toilet seat and a complimentary brush. But for the PSP, you've got analog stick. That's it. Like it or leave it. Simple as that. :rolleyes:

bRoNx said:
Wow. Comparing a PDA to a PSP.:rolleyes:

Why not?

Ok then, why stop at web browsing?

Because the discussion was about PSP being convenient for web browsing?

Why don't you compare the games?

Maybe because the discussion was about web browsing?

Why don't you compare screen quality/size?

I already did.

Bottom line is, the analog stick is convenient given the circumstances.

For web browsing? Compared to a stylus? Don't think so.

Sure, if the PSP was designed purely for emails, documents, applications, web browsing only, then I'm sure SONY would've seen it fit to include better interface for it -- but the problem is, it's a games machine first & foremost, and the interface was designed to accomadate for that first. Everything else will just have to make do with what is made available.

Sure but that doesn't mean it's convenient for web browsing compared to other devices. It's all relative.

WRT your mouse analogy, well, it's flawed. PC's have many different "available" interfaces.

So what? We're talking about web browsing and nothing beats a mouse for that purpose for computers. For portables it's the stylus. Thumbsticks don't even register on the convenience radar.

You can buy a mouse, an analog/joystick, a touchpad, a toilet seat and a complimentary brush. But for the PSP, you've got analog stick. That's it. Like it or leave it. Simple as that. :rolleyes:

That's exactly why it's not convenient for web browsing compared to a PDA. The input method frankly sucks.

NANOTEC said:
Sure but that doesn't mean it's convenient for web browsing compared to other devices. It's all relative.
Yes, you're right. But given the situation for a portable games console first, they had to weight in things like: Use a stylus for good web browsing, but very limited for game control, or go with a traditional method of input - an analog knob (remembering the PSP is a games machine) - and sacrifice ease of web browsing.

NANOTEC said:
So what? We're talking about web browsing and nothing beats a mouse for that purpose for computers. For portables it's the stylus. Thumbsticks don't even register on the convenience radar.
Again, you're right. But what I was saying, was that for those who own a PSP and want to browse the web, they have no choice but to use the analog stick. I don't understand why you keep going with this "convenience radar" argument...it's called TOUGH SH*T! SONY are basically saying "If you want web browsing with your PSP, use the analog. If you want to use a mouse or stylus, TOUGH SH*T!".

NANOTEC said:
That's exactly why it's not convenient for web browsing compared to a PDA. The input method frankly sucks.
Then you leave us ignorant fools to enjoy our web browsing with our analog sticks (or thumbnipple as LB likes to refer to it as), and you go play with your PDA. Easy as that! You have a point, but any dimwit can see that, so you're not exactly exposing a big thing here, just stating the obvious.

Sis said:
Given the game and UMD sales of the PSP, it's probably an apropos comparison.
Oh, now you're just being silly. I don't think anyone can doubt the success that the PSP is having, and it's only been around what...2 yrs? Give it some time, and I'm sure the PSP will be synonymous with portables as PlayStation is with consoles ;) (Wishful thinking, I know!)

bRoNx said:
Yes, you're right. But given the situation for a portable games console first, they had to weight in things like: Use a stylus for good web browsing, but very limited for game control, or go with a traditional method of input - an analog knob (remembering the PSP is a games machine) - and sacrifice ease of web browsing.

We don't care why PSP is stuck with a thumbstick and has no stylus input. All we care is if it's as convenient to use for web browsing as a PDA or similar device. The answer is no, it's clunky and not as convenient.

Again, you're right. But what I was saying, was that for those who own a PSP and want to browse the web, they have no choice but to use the analog stick. I don't understand why you keep going with this "convenience radar" argument...it's called TOUGH SH*T! SONY are basically saying "If you want web browsing with your PSP, use the analog. If you want to use a mouse or stylus, TOUGH SH*T!".

That's scraping at the bottom of the barrel to make a point. That's like saying riding a bike 20 miles a day to work is convenient because you don't have a car or using a Dreamcast is convenient because you don't have a computer or using the PS2 as a DVD player because you don't have a standalone DVD player. At the end of the day they're all excuses to the problem which is not owning an alternative that's more convenient.

Then you leave us ignorant fools to enjoy our web browsing with our analog sticks (or thumbnipple as LB likes to refer to it as), and you go play with your PDA. Easy as that! You have a point, but any dimwit can see that, so you're not exactly exposing a big thing here, just stating the obvious.

I'm just stating the rediculous assertion that browsing the web using the PSP is convenient. Convenient compared to what? Mowing the lawn?

Hellooo, nobody ever claimed here PSP was as convenient as PDA, laptop, Dreamcast, cellphone or any other device.
Somebody did incidentally mention, as a throwaway comment, that he finds webbrowsing with PSP convenient.... not more or as convenient, but just convenient (enough for him).

I wonder if that original poster ever could have imagined that innocent little opinion would be stuck in somebody's "IF INPUT="sony" AND positive adjective THEN EXECUTE "skew & mispresent" PRINT "sony lies!!!1!1!" loop and fuel page after page of pointless debate.

NANOTEC said:
I'm just stating the rediculous assertion that browsing the web using the PSP is convenient. Convenient compared to what? Mowing the lawn?
This debate was had already like a week or two ago and ended, so why revisit it? You're not adding any new arguments. If you feel something can only be convenient compared to every other product that can do that task (which means no product is convenient, as whatever it can do, there's almost certainly something out there can do at least part of it's job better) then you've already made that point a dozen times. It happens no-one's agreeing with you but that's difference of opinion. This is a debate that's nothing more than subjective personal taste and can't be discussed logically, so as per the FAQ, state your opinon, argue it a bit, and if you end up just repeating yourself let it go, why drag it back up again?

rabidrabbit said:
Hellooo, nobody ever claimed here PSP was as convenient as PDA, laptop, Dreamcast, cellphone or any other device.
Somebody did incidentally mention, as a throwaway comment, that he finds webbrowsing with PSP convenient.... not more or as convenient, but just convenient (enough for him).

I wonder if that original poster ever could have imagined that innocent little opinion would be stuck in somebody's "IF INPUT="sony" AND positive adjective THEN EXECUTE "skew & mispresent" PRINT "sony lies!!!1!1!" loop and fuel page after page of pointless debate.

It wasn't an innocent little opinion throw away comment. It was trying futily to prove that browsing using a PSP is convenient. My reply asked a simple question compared to what at which point there was no answer. Absurd opinions should be backed up when one questions that opinion. If I said sleeping upside down on my head is convenient I'd better have a valid reason to make that claim otherwise every absurd opinion just floods the boards with nonsense.

NANOTEC said:

I don't have a PSP and don't plan on getting one, but why would it have to be convenient compared to something else? It's convenient because you can browse the net on it, and it's a bit less intuitive to use than a PDA. That's it. End of. Drop it already.

london-boy said:
I don't have a PSP and don't plan on getting one, but why would it have to be convenient compared to something else? It's convenient because you can browse the net on it, and it's a bit less intuitive to use than a PDA. That's it.

The blanket claim was that it's convenient. I asked a question and it was never fully answered just dodged. I'm just wondering why that is. Was the claim just an excuse to make it seem as though it's a universal fact? When claiming something is convenient in the context of what was being discussed eg web browsing through a console whether it's a home console or portable, one needs to clarify that statement. Convenient compared to what? Again I claim that sleeping on my head is convenient...ok..compared to what?

london-boy said:
I don't have a PSP and don't plan on getting one, but why would it have to be convenient compared to something else?
No-one understands why it has to be convenient compared to everything else. I guess NANOTEC is using a different (obsolete) definition of the word than Arwin was using.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=convenient

Regardless, everyone arguing with NANOTEC about 'why does it have to be compared with stuff' isn't going to get anywhere and'll just fill this thread with noise. Just leave the topic, or find something said earlier worth discussing.

NANOTEC said:
The blanket claim was that it's convenient. I asked a question and it was never fully answered just dodged. I'm just wondering why that is. Was the claim just an excuse to make it seem as though it's a universal fact? When claiming something is convenient in the context of what was being discussed eg web browsing through a console whether it's a home console or portable, one needs to clarify that statement. Convenient compared to what? Again I claim that sleeping on my head is convenient...ok..compared to what?

Why could the guy just not mean "convenient, full stop"? Why do you always have to compare something to something else, turning every thread in a X vs Y thread?

PSP net browsing in convenient becasue it's there. The control system just happens to be less intuitive than a PDA. It's two separate things.

Besides, the PSP is not a PDA, so what's the point of your continuous "compared to what" trolling? Every thread you enter, you turn it into either a console war or a manufacturer war or anything connected to NEC is god war. It was made clear that this kind of posting is not tolerated here, and is the reason you got banned many a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back