Resident Evil 4 (PS2) sales figures

Bobbler said:
They aren't that much different. The game has sold slightly more on PS2 than on GC, regardless of shipped vs sold numbers and the sales are around 3 million sold worldwide. It shouldn't be hard to accept or understand.

Around meaning 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 3.8? According to Capcom the GC version was at 1.23 million over 14 months ago and the PS2 version is currently at 1.8 million. So that's already over 3 million using GC numbers from 14 months ago :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the numbers just seem odd like Capcom are trying to show the shareholders that PS2 version sold well. I think what happened was that Capcom thought they would sell lots of RE4 PS2 copies so they shipped a bunch of them. Now they're trying to use shipped numbers to save face.

BTW here is the thread about SONY using shipped numbers to try and save face against Nintendo's sold numbers. It's a common face saving practice.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19396

To be fair I think Capcom always quote shipped numbers. Because once they ship the game from there point of view its sold (they have the money for it). The only problem I have is comparing RE4PS2 shipped numbers as of now with RE4GC sold numbers as of December 2005 :) Which is what seems to be happening in this thread.

NANOTEC said:
Yeah the numbers just seem odd like Capcom are trying to show the shareholders that PS2 version sold well. I think what happened was that Capcom thought they would sell lots of RE4 PS2 copies so they shipped a bunch of them. Now they're trying to use shipped numbers to save face.

BTW here is the thread about SONY using shipped numbers to try and save face against Nintendo's sold numbers. It's a common face saving practice.

... If you've quite finished damage controlling, what does Sony's policy on providing shipped numbers have to do with Capcom providing shipped units for both the GC and PS2 versions of RE4?

Are you saying it's not a fair comparison to look at two sets of shipped unit numbers from the same company? Because of some asinine idea that Capcom overshipped the PS2 version to bolster shareholder resolve? Care to back up that assertation?

Mmmkay said:
... If you've quite finished damage controlling, what does Sony's policy on providing shipped numbers have to do with Capcom providing shipped units for both the GC and PS2 versions of RE4?

Are you saying it's not a fair comparison to look at two sets of shipped unit numbers from the same company? Because of some asinine idea that Capcom overshipped the PS2 version to bolster shareholder resolve? Care to back up that assertation?

Read Teasy's shipped vs sold numbers comment. The only sure way to compare numbers is sold vs sold not shipped vs sold. They were monthly sales numbers added up. If you can find me sold numbers for PS2 and add them up feel free. From what I could remember sales for the PS2 version was really bad when it was released. If it starts out bad, it won't likely pick up later down the line.

Edit: Sold GC version as of Dec2005.

hupfinsgack said:
I am sorry, but you're deluding yourself. Just because Capcom release numbers for specific platform instead of total number - which is by the way not an uncommon practise - doesn't mean that they're the total number.

Capcom released numbers for Jan 2005 to Mar2006. This timeframe encompasses the whole GC version release timeframe. Why didn't they release GC specific numbers???

- Capcom revealed its software sales for the 2005 financial year (Jan4, 2005 - Mar 31, 2006):

Biohazard 4 / Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
- Japan - 490,000 units
- North America - 610,000 units
- Europe - 710,000 units

Onimusha 3: Dawn of Dreams (PS2)
- Japan - 340,000 units
- North America - 160,000 units
- Europe - 140,000 units

Monster Hunter Portable / Freedom (PSP)
- Japan - 610,000 units

Rockman EXE 6 / Megaman Battle Network 6 (GBA)
- Japan - 610,000 units

Monster Hunter 2 (PS2)
- Japan - 540,000 units

Sengoku Basara / Devil Kings (PS2)
- Japan - 190,000 units
- North America - 80,000 units
- Europe - 40,000 units

Dark Watch (PS2/XB)
- North America - 340,000 units

Rockman / Megaman series
- Worldwide - 1,700,000 units

Where are the RE4 GC numbers? Kinda odd in'it?

NANOTEC said:

It isn't about saving face, it's about business -- to those companies shipped are the important ones for their stockholders. To them shipped is sold (from their pespective -- it's sold to the stores, they get money then), this is generally the way all companies do things when talking to their stockholders.

Nintendo is the one doing things weird with using sold numbers. By your logic almost every company in the world that sells products is just trying to save face against Nintendo.

Bobbler said:
It isn't about saving face, it's about business -- to those companies shipped are the important ones for their stockholders. To them shipped is sold (from their pespective -- it's sold to the stores, they get money then), this is generally the way all companies do things when talking to their stockholders.

Nintendo is the one doing things weird with using sold numbers. By your logic almost every company in the world that sells products is just trying to save face against Nintendo.

Actually from what I've read about retailers, they can shipped unsold units back to the manufacturer so shipped means diddly squat let alone comparing shipped vs sold.

NANOTEC said:
Read Teasy's shipped vs sold numbers comment.
Teasy's [perfectly valid] comments have very little to do with the claims you are putting across about corporate fraud and bringing in other company's policies when they weren't involved.

Capcom provided a shipped number to the end of their fiscal year for both versions in their first year sales. That's the nearest performance comparison we can get and it shows a > 400,000 unit advantage to the PS2 version. Europe is the real wildcard for the GC number because it had only been on sale for 2 weeks. But only the NA market has any kind of market presence for the Gamecube, and it's likely that the shipped units satisfied demand. (These shipped figures in both cases are their first print runs)

These numbers:
Teasy said:
As of March 2005 RE4 GC had shipped 1.23 million units worldwide, according to Capcom. These are the numbers broken down:

North America - 660,000 (in 3 months)
Europe - 360,000 (in 2 weeks)
Japan - 210,000 (in 1 month).
Are Capcoms own shipped figures which we can do a shipped vs. shipped comparison. Famitsu's sales to July 2005 show the GC version sold 220,704 units suggesting that the shipped value was roughly accurate for the FY. As of March 2005's NPD figures, the GC version of RE4 stood at 475,369. Factoring in a weighting (NPD only tracks US numbers, the weighting should add the rest) puts RE4 at ~ 551K underselling the shipped figure (16% off). Europe is not possible to validate with the information available.

Now, you should have a chat some time with ioi, the guy who runs everythingandnothing. He's very meticulous when it comes to estimating sales figures and will bore the pants off you explaining the pains he goes to. We have North American sales data to support any extra unit sales for the Gamecube and PS2 versions of RE4 to fill in the blanks between the end of their official shipped figures, and to date. Having historical data for North American and Japanese sales also helps to work out at which point the FY shipments became depleted so as to match up the additional orders correctly.

The 1.44m figure for the GC version of RE4 I believe is as accurate as you're going to find it, but obviously we only have a shipment figure up until April 2006 for the PS2 version. Up until the 26th of February, Famitsu had recorded sales of 436,921. Adding in the Asia region version (not counted by Famitsu) and you'll reach a number comparable to the shipped figure especially if you extrapolate the figures the end of the FY (my gist is that I'm suggesting the shipped values are by now equal to or less than sold values).

The April NPD figures showed that RE4's GC and PS2 version were at:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3427567
NGC RESIDENT EVIL 4 698,189
PS2 RESIDENT EVIL 4 505,573

Extrapolating the E/N's GC 0.81m and weighting that on the PS2 sell through gives a value of ~ 585K which is within 5% of the shipped value. The only real wildcard is Europe for which we have no solid data on. It would be virtually impossible to estimate sell though, so we can only infer based on how sales match up against the shipment values in other regions.

I hope that I have demonstrated that the PS2's announced shipped figure is theoretically accurate to date, and that for the two regions we have data on, it was only the Gamecube version which was abnormally over shipped to the US. The data we have available suggests that the everythingandnothing GC sales estimate is at least accurate and at most slightly inflated. Short of the European numbers, we have to trust that Capcom shipped by demand for both versions.

[edit]Ack, sorry it's a bit of an incoherent ramble isn't it...
For the tl; dr crew:
Basically, a month or so after both shipment values were declared, they look to match up roughly with the sell throughs. RE4's current LTD on the GC I believe to be well estimated by everythingandnothing, and the shipment value for the PS2 version is a solid if not spectacular estimate for the its curent LTD sell through.

NANOTEC said:
I think those numbers are for total sales of RE4 GC+PS2. Magic box probably got it wrong. RE4 for GC came out in Jan 2005.;) There's no way the downgraded PS2 version would've sold 1.8 million units when it came out in fall of 2005.:LOL:;)

Why is it so strange for you that the "downgraded" PS2 version might have sold that much?

Its even stranger that you are making such a big fuss out of it too.

Reactions: Ty
Thanks for the effort Mmmkay, but yeah that was a bit hard to keep track of :D I knew those numbers I posted were from Capcom by the way, I said that in my post, they were from March 2005 though.

Anyway looking at the numbers its pretty safe to say that sales are at a pretty similar level on both systems (I don't think the game will sell anymore now on either system with next gen coming along). After all take PS2's shipped number (1.8 million) and take away 10% for sold and you get 1.62 million. Take GC's sold number (1.44 million) and add some extra for the last 6 months that weren't tracked in those numbers and it will also be in a very similar area.

Teasy said:
Thanks for the effort Mmmkay, but yeah that was a bit hard to keep track of :D I knew those numbers I posted were from Capcom by the way, I said that in my post, they were from March 2005 though.

Anyway looking at the numbers its pretty safe to say that sales are at a pretty similar level on both systems (I don't think the game will sell anymore now on either system with next gen coming along). After all take PS2's shipped number (1.8 million) and take away 10% for sold and you get 1.62 million. Take GC's sold number (1.44 million) and add some extra for the last 6 months that weren't tracked in those numbers and it will also be in a very similar area.
Oops sorry yeah, I was addressing NANOTEC with your quote ;) He didn't believe that they were Capcom's official shipped numbers, so I needed to find the source for it. What I was trying to do was keep the market time in the same ballpark. With the GC version being on shelves for some 15 months, it has accumulated more sales over time at lower price points compared to the 7 months for the PS2 version. A fairer comparison would be to look at the PS2's sales after 15 months and compare it to where the Gamecube version is now. Given its insalled base, it is likely to sell many more copies comparatively in this period, so I imagine it will pull ahead further.

I just wonder what the thread would have been like if it hadn't been derailed in the first reply.... no doubt derailed in the second reply instead ;)

Mmmkay said:
I just wonder what the thread would have been like if it hadn't been derailed in the first reply.... no doubt derailed in the second reply instead ;)

The thread would have been awfully short and to the point? ;)

You all did so well during E3 that we are leaving you some room to nitpick and play ;)
(That's why it's not moderated yet. :) )

Ingenu said:
You all did so well during E3 that we are leaving you some room to nitpick and play ;)

Hah, no doubt -- this year's E3 was pretty tame in comparison to last years. That was just brutal by all accounts.

Ingenu said:

I give all the credit to you guys (mods). You've basically weeded out all of the usual suspects.

Just wanted to add some more numbers to the list to give a better perspective on actual sold numbers for Japan.

For all of 2005 Japan.

PS2 RE4 370,580
GCN RE4 220,799

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=17985

For 2006 NA using NPD#s.

PS2 RE4 505,573
GCN RE4 698,189

So yes the wildcard is Europe which we don't have numbers for. So in summary sold numbers for NA and Japan seem to be equal so far.

NANOTEC said:
Just wanted to add some more numbers to the list to give a better perspective on actual sold numbers for Japan.

For all of 2005 Japan.

PS2 RE4 370,580
GCN RE4 220,799

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=17985

For 2006 NA using NPD#s.

PS2 RE4 505,573
GCN RE4 698,189

So yes the wildcard is Europe which we don't have numbers for. So in summary sold numbers for NA and Japan seem to be equal so far.

That's quite good since the ps2 version came out way later than ther GC version.

LunchBox said:
That's quite good since the ps2 version came out way later than ther GC version.

Well PS2 has an installed base of about 100 million compared to 20 million for GC...still it did better than I had expected even factoring in the 5 times larger install base.:smile:

Anyway Capcom made a very stupid move by announcing the PS2 version before the GC version was even released..morons. It would be interesting to see how RE5 on PS3/X360 do compared to REN on Wii.

NANOTEC said:
Well PS2 has an installed base of about 100 million compared to 20 million for GC...still it did better than I had expected even factoring in the 5 times larger install base.:smile:

Anyway Capcom made a very stupid move by announcing the PS2 version before the GC version was even released..morons. It would be interesting to see how RE5 on PS3/X360 do compared to REN on Wii.

The RE on Wii would have to be completly different and super fun to play to beat the high end versions. imo of course.

mckmas8808 said:
The RE on Wii would have to be completly different and super fun to play to beat the high end versions. imo of course.

Well we know it won't be a port of RE5 and we know it will make full use of the 3D controller. We also know it will at least be better looking than RE4. Those things will ensure it will sell very well relative to RE5.

Back