Flying Computer

CMAN

Regular
Well I'm moving, so my wife and I were staying at her parent's place after the movers took all of our belongings. We still had important documents, some clothes, our computers, and stuff we didn't want the movers to take. Since we didn't want to keep the stuff in my car for a multitude of days, we put them in her parent's garage.

While packing my car the night before we left, I was slowly but surely packing my car back to the brim. My dumb self didn't realize the piece of ply wood wasn't nailed down to the legs, and when I removed the last piece of luggage on the left side of the board, my desktop on the right side went flying through the air. Of course the floor was concrete. My case was a Sonata, so it held together pretty well. The top part is bent to the right. The mother board seemed fine, and the harddrives survived even though they bounced around a little.

The only other part inside my computer with any mass is my graphics card (3rd party cooler). The card was jolted out of the slot even with the AGP plastic holder thing and the card screwed into the case. The card will send a signal to the monitor, but sometimes works and sometimes displace garbage. I'm not sure if it's completely dead, or if the old monitor I tested it on had an issue with resolution.

I won't have my monitor until June 1st (after I close on my new house), so I can't really test it until then. I can still use the on board graphics, but it looks like I won't be able to play any games. I also can't afford anything new (new house and car and dishwasher and dryer and refridgerator and other house stuff). Oh well. One day I'll play games again. :cry:

be very careful, your hard drives might have suffered some damage. Do you have anything in them, that you couldnt live without? If so, it might be wise to just set them aside, and get new ones. WHen you can afford it, have them sent to a data recovery shop. It might be extreme overkill, but sometimes its worth it.

Sorry to hear about the damage to the other parts of your pc. Its likely that I will be moving to south africa, meaning that I will be shipping my pc overseas. What i do is separate the components so there is less chance of damage.

epic

epicstruggle said:
Its likely that I will be moving to south africa

Wha?

CMAN said:
I think the hard drives are ok, because the OS booted correctly.

I think epic might have a point. You may want to run a disk scanner on it even though it booted fine. There may have been a point or two where the head hit the platter though I don't know if your HD parks or not.

Back