Um...

Yeah, I've seen that second one before. The first one looked fairly painful, too, but more funny :).

Anyway, these videos reminded me of another situation. When I was back in middle school, I was in a car with my Dad driving on a very narrow, winding mountain road in southern California. As we were driving with the windows rolled down, we heard a very loud and prolonged screeching sound, followed by a boom.

We came upon the car wreck a little while later. It was a man in a sports car that had somehow managed to get his car flipped over onto its roof, while remaining in the rather narrow road (cliff going up on one side, down on the other). By the time we arrived, he had been helped out of the car by another man, and was standing near his car holding his forearm.

The arm had an obvious break that we could see from a distance, where he had to hold his hand to prevent it from flopping down. The bones were clearly disconnected (i.e. the bones between his elbow and his wrist didn't line up by a few inches).

I'm quite glad I've never had such an experience.

The first video doesn't seem to involve the kid actually breaking his leg. In the second video, that guy must be an idiot or something with no profession training at all.

Anybody remember that soccer video where that guy breaks his leg?

I once - not THAT long ago - saw a video with an amateur street stuntman kind of person (those that are so popular these days in certain circles) who tried to jump between two flat-roofed two-story buildings. The distance was pretty far, maybe four-five meters or so. Anyway, the guy's filming from the street below, and the guy comes flying through the air and gets about half his feet on the edge of the roof of the other building. Unfortunately, his momentum wasn't enough to move his center of gravity in over the edge of the roof, so his legs simply compress, leaving him hanging there for a split second, and then he falls and pretty much lands on the back of his neck and crumples into a heap. The guy filming just stands there for a moment taping what's happened, then he goes running and the clip ends.

What an idiot.

I don't mean the guy jumping (though he's definitely an idiot too), but the guy behind the camera. Why aren't you helping your buddy who might have crushed his skull or broken his fucking neck you bastard? :-?

Anyway, that first clip just goes to show what a sick society we live in. Some kid bounces around and hurts his leg, and his buddies puts the clip up on the internet and calls it the funniest clip ever? I'm supposed to laugh at him screaming in pain? What a bunch of sickos, they ought to have their kneecaps broken as punishment.

NANOTEC said:
In the second video, that guy must be an idiot or something with no profession training at all.

What makes you say that? Looks like a pretty standard Muay Thai technique.

Ty said:
What makes you say that? Looks like a pretty standard Muay Thai technique.

Standard Muay Thai techniques performed by a trained professional don't cause you to break your own leg.:LOL:

NANOTEC said:
Standard Muay Thai techniques performed by a trained professional don't cause you to break your own leg.:LOL:

Breaks in limbs can happen for any number of reasons irrespective of professional training.

Chalnoth said:
Except maybe if the opponent moves their leg in just the wrong way to block?

What are you talking about? Blocking is common and expected in MT. If blocking causes leg breaking then the opponent would never have a chance because he'll always be breaking his own leg.:LOL:

Ty said:
Breaks in limbs can happen for any number of reasons irrespective of professional training.

And what is the reason(s)?

NANOTEC said:
And what is the reason(s)?

A simple undetected weakness in his shin for example.

Not all injuries are avoidable through "professional training".

Ty said:
A simple undetected weakness in his shin for example.

Not all injuries are avoidable through "professional training".

Actually if he's been rigorously training correctly, his tibia should be able to handle massive shock without breaking unless he's been rigorously training with cotton punch bags. In the event that he had a previous injury or has weak bones or "undectected" weakness in his shin, he would've broken his leg during the rigorous training. If the training isn't rigorous enough then it's not professional it's amatuer.

Nano, you speak with an amazing amount of (over)confidence and self-assurence about a situation whose background you know nothing about and whose reasons for occurring in the first place you can't possibly know. Your assumption (and rock-solid conviction) that the guy broke his leg because he was a noob is...well, astounding really. In a not-impressive kind of way I might add.

My humble suggestion for you would be to simply be quiet before you embarrass yourself further, but I guess your ego's simply too large to take such advice. ;)

NANOTEC said:
Actually if he's been rigorously training correctly, his tibia should be able to handle massive shock without breaking unless he's been rigorously training with cotton punch bags.

Your argument boils down to, "All injuries are the result of a lack of 'professional training'", which is just not accurate at all. Do you blame a boxer for getting his eye cut in a bout? A football (American Football) player who got tackled and broke an ankle? No, of course not.

NANOTEC said:
In the event that he had a previous injury or has weak bones or "undectected" weakness in his shin, he would've broken his leg during the rigorous training. If the training isn't rigorous enough then it's not professional it's amatuer.

That's not logical at all. He could have kicked for 10,000 times in training and not broken his leg, which just needed to happen upon the 10,001 kick.

Guden Oden said:
Nano, you speak with an amazing amount of (over)confidence and self-assurence about a situation whose background you know nothing about and whose reasons for occurring in the first place you can't possibly know. Your assumption (and rock-solid conviction) that the guy broke his leg because he was a noob is...well, astounding really. In a not-impressive kind of way I might add.

Maybe it's because I have some relevent experience in the field? Also I already said from what I coud see from the video it seems to be a mistake (poor training) and not an unavoidable accident.

My humble suggestion for you would be to simply be quiet before you embarrass yourself further, but I guess your ego's simply too large to take such advice. ;)

Well considering I wasn't the one claiming cheese burgers are released back into the atmosphere when a cheese burger eater dies, you should take your own advice.

Ty said:
Your argument boils down to, "All injuries are the result of a lack of 'professional training'", which is just not accurate at all. Do you blame a boxer for getting his eye cut in a bout? A football (American Football) player who got tackled and broke an ankle? No, of course not.

Uh, no I never claimed all injuries are a resut of poor training, but thanks for artificially manufacturing that strawman. I said from what I could see from this video. It looks to be a BIZARRE incident that cannot be explained by a natural unavoidable accident. The only other explanations are former injury to that bone or improper training.

That's not logical at all. He could have kicked for 10,000 times in training and not broken his leg, which just needed to happen upon the 10,001 kick.

Actually it is logical, but since you don't have experience in this particular area you may think it's illogical. The fact you used 10,001 as some form of logic exposes your inability to correctly address what is being talked about eg bones and bone growth. Your analogy applies to alloys which don't grow but fatique over repeated use. Bones do completely the opposite with proper training. They get bigger and stronger hence larger heavy set people having bigger bones to support their own body weight. Same reason why astronauts get weaker bones in weightless environments. At the end of the day proper diet and training causes those targeted bones to grow even stronger so when you're in the range of 10,000 kicks your bone would be at it's peak strength relative to a smaller number and unlikely to break...in fact 10,000 kicks would be in the early training phase anyway so it's a poor example to begin with and is more suseptable to breakage than the later stages. Also too much animal protein intake during training may actually cause bones to weaken...bet you didn't know that. Heck drinking too much animal milk makes your bones weaker...bet you didn't know that either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back