Predictions for 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junkstyle

Newcomer
ATI currently lags behind Nvidia in video card sales and chipset sales. For the rest of 2006 do you see ATI closing the gap more or falling behind more?

If it's true that ATI's 80nm refreshes to x1300 and x1600 are delayed until Autumn, and nVidia really does release a Geforce 7950GX2 and Geforce 7900GS next week, and x1800XT really is replaced by x1900GT, then I think ATI will slightly continue to fall in the midrange segment. Highend, they'll combat alright with x1900, even if Geforce 7950GX2 is the fastest (pricing and availability will be a factor, though).

In other words, according to the recent report by Jon Peddie, where in the discrete market, ATI is holding 45% marketshare vs. 53% nVidia, I forsee it possibly becoming 44% ATI and 54% nVidia by Autumn. I won't try to predict past that point.

(Keep in mind, I'm not an analyst or anything; this is just my personal speculation. And it's also only an observation for the discrete GPU market.)

Richthofen said:
well he sad sales. Sales doesn't necessarily mean unit market share. It could also be revenue market share.
How would that be a useful metric for anything that can be broken down into something meaningful?
Sales and sales revenues are different things.

Dave Baumann said:
How would that be a useful metric for anything that can be broken down into something meaningful?
Well, from the way you word it, it looks like you're saying "sales" would mean number of units and that "sales revenue" means actual dollars generated from "sales". Correct?

How different are the prices of video cards from NVIDIA and ATi at the same market segments (i.e. low-entry, medium, high-end, everything-in-between)?

What would that "something meaningful" be (since you mentioned it)?

Uhm, what's this thread about? More flame wars? I predict that both nV and ATI will get lots of our money this year.

Dave Baumann said:

Actually, "sales" on an income statement usually refers to sales revenue. So they are the same thing. I believe you would use "units" or some such to describe how many were sold.

My guess is ATi gaining in the chipset space since they now have a viable answer to Nforce.

In GPU's Nvidia will probably pick up more share in the mid and high-end since G7x's are flying off the shelves as we speak and there's no denying that they are moving much faster than ATi's offerings in those segments. Any swing in ATi's favor won't come until early 2007 at the earliest.

Laptops will probably move in Nvidia's favor for the same reason as ATi's chipset gain.

trinibwoy said:
Actually, "sales" on an income statement usually refers to sales revenue. So they are the same thing. I believe you would use "units" or some such to describe how many were sold.
And you have to take a look at the context of the question.

My guess is ATi gaining in the chipset space since they now have a viable answer to Nforce.
Not really. Although they made a play on its overclocking properties, Rx4xx is primarily aimed at OEM configurations, rather than enthusiast (which is where nForce has the main success - 6100 is the OEM targetted chipset, which is relatively new); that has taken off to a reasonable degree in the AMD sector, but they are also getting a boost from the Intel deal now.

Dave Baumann said:
And you have to take a look at the context of the question

Hmmmm, based on the OP's assertion that ATi is lagging Nvidia he can't be referring to units as AFAIK ATi is shipping much bigger numbers overall.

:rolleyes:

So they could also be producing higher revenues, even if the margins are slimmer.

Its more than likely that he just wasn't aware of the figures I pointed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back