Donnie Darko: Best modern Sci fi flick?

kabacha

Newcomer
I saw Donnie Darko when a friend recommended it to me and my jaw dropped after the movie ended. The themes in this movie are what I was looking for in the Scifi movie for a long time ever since Blade runner and 2001: A space odyssey. The very idea of a dark comedic vision of an altered reality because of a break in the fabric of time is amazing. Go watch this movie

Quite an enjoyable film I thought but I don't think I'd go as far as saying it was the best modern SF flick.

Admittedly, most SF flicks these days are absolute garbage with most of the money spent on special effects and practically nothing on the screenplay!

Would be up there for me, though it became a bit uncool after the re-release.

Eternal Sunshine, Primer and The Matrix would be my top three SF in the past decade.

The director's cut sucked, but I loved the orignal. You pretty much had to go to their website to find out what the hell was (really) going on in the movie.

The director's cut was basically Donnie Darko For Dummies.

still an excellent movie....at least nothing like the predictable pretard trash hollywood usually shoves down the slavoring hordes' throats.

Sxotty said:
I didn't think there was anything really special or exciting about it but my brother loved it so whatever.

nothing special about not having a clue what was going on really until the end when it all ties together nicely?

hardly any movies like that get large scale release in the US

(probably for the same reason i hear that asian (and i hear some EU) game developers purposefully 'dumb' down the difficulty of their games before offering them to us consumers)

So what was so great about it? It exploited some technicality about timetravel, so what?
The story started out decent enough, but ended up imploding on itself. Now, what does that remind me of? Oh yes, The Matrix series.

Looking forward to A Scanner Darkly. Wasn't too impressed with Donnie Darko, though, mainly because as a SF movie it's not too great (but quite entertaining as a John Hughes parody).

Event Horizon kind of sucked. The Thing holds a place in my heart as one of if not the most freakiest movies I've ever seen though.

epicstruggle said:
very hard to pick the best.
Add Gattaca to the list. Not sure if The Abyss (director's cut version, naturally) really counts as sci-fi though. There's also Robocop and Starship Troopers... :D

Back