MSN behind router?

Gholbine

Regular
So I have an ADSL modem/router connected to ADSL all the time, had my PC connected to it just fine for years and everything has worked great. However, now that I've recently attached another router to my original router (and have two PCs running of it), I cannot connect to MSN or run windowsupdate properly. Everything else (and I mean everything) works just fine.

Any ideas?

why are you using two routers? >_< run a cable from your dsl modem to your router and then from your router to your PC(s). if you need more ports than the router provides get a switch or hub.

Freak'n Big Panda said:
why are you using two routers? >_< run a cable from your dsl modem to your router and then from your router to your PC(s). if you need more ports than the router provides get a switch or hub.

The modem/router is up the other end of the house. I only have one cable running through the walls to the room with both the PCs, so I'm using another router in that room (running another cable through the walls or across the house isn't an option, and neither is wireless).

In that case you only needed a switch/hub, not a second router. Use the better of the two as a router & bridge the other. I'd bridge the ADSL/router so it handles ADSL traffic only & have the dedicated router handle DHCP/routing. Alternatively, don't use the router's WAN port & hook everything up to its LAN ports. Alternatively use DMZ... Alternatively subnet... Alternatively...

Can someone explain this?

I can connect to everything but MSN and windowsupdate. And the kicker is that I can connect to MSN through GAIM, just not MSN 7.5. Any ideas?

Gholbine said:
Can someone explain this?

I can connect to everything but MSN and windowsupdate. And the kicker is that I can connect to MSN through GAIM, just not MSN 7.5. Any ideas?

Sounds like the new router has certain ports closed by default. I assume you're not blocked from port 80 (http surfing) to MSN but just to the chat client, right?

I'm guessing you might be able to get it sort of working by opening the right TCP ports for MSN, but it would be better not to cascade routers.

Read more here:
http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/1695.html

I think Linksys makes a $50 el-cheapo hub too :)

I agree with the above: using multiple routers is "teh suck". ;)

Theoretically, it should work, but in reality it almost never does. So, don't do that! Use only the LAN ports of the second router and you're fine. Or throw it away and buy a switch for $12.

Heh, at my house we have the fancy 7-antenna Wi-Fi/Ethernet router thing, but there's no computers plugged into it. Instead, they all go through this industrial 100Mbit switch with 24 ports that we got from my uncle (IT guy at an Alcatel branch). They use all gigabit stuff now, so they didn't need it.

I know next to nothing about routers and networking and stuff, but I'd try configuring your first router (the one with the DSL modem) so that the IP of the second router (the one attaching to your PC) is in the DMZ, and then let the firewall in the second router handle the protection of your PC.

Dunno if that changes anything for you, but it's worth a try. Like the others have said, a switch is better than a second router; that much even I know! :D It's cheaper too, but since you already bought two routers... :D

DudeMiester said:
Instead, they all go through this industrial 100Mbit switch with 24 ports that we got from my uncle (IT guy at an Alcatel branch).
I don't want to think about how much power that thing probably burns for no reason at all... :D Many switches with that many ports have fans and stuff in them and become quite warm. I'm sure that switch is totally overkill. Besides, adding a second switch to the one already in your router is surely going to raise your ping a hair or two... In case you care about stuff like that at all I mean. :p

Back