Presentation of Gekko

I've never seen this before, thank you.

edit: 4.9W :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I have an older version of this presentation (from like 4 years ago or so). This one looks like it goes a wee (no pun intended) bit more into details of the WGP and LoadQ/StoreQ design though.

Yes, is ancient.

But is one of the most polite documents talking about an architecture that I have seen, typical of IBM. And a lot of the Gekko ideas were recycled in Xenon/Waternose.

FYI a Xbox sucks about 70W at the outlet while a Cube is at about 30W. I measured it with my Killawatt AC wattmeter. Neat little tool.

wayyyy back in 1999, after Gekko was announced, I read all of the Dolphin websites. I was alittle more naive back then. I remember a couple of reports saying that Gekko was a stunning advancement, and in its early form, it was already blowing away PS2. then in my own mind I took that a step futher and imagined Gekko was multi-core.

pc999 said:
Find this by luck and I never saw so I hope isnt already here.
Althought isnt really new info I hope it is usefull.

http://www.hotchips.org/archives/hc13/2_Mon/06ibm-gekko.pdf

Interesting that , at the time, they could go with a multicore chip.

It looks like they were just naming off possible design decisions, and that for the Gecko they happened to choose superscalar, not that the design was made with multi-core ever being considered.

The 4.9W figure for the cpu is very low, but I think desktop G3s and G4s were doing about the same. What was a Pentium 3 at the time, 20W?

pc999 said:
In that case which multi core designs they had at the time:?:

None, it merely indicates that had Nintendo wanted one, IBM could have designed one. I take it as the design decisions were weighed early on, and it was decided the superscalar was the best decision. Single issue was also listed as a choice, but I doubt any such design was started with the intent of putting it into gamecube.

Does anyone know where can i find similar documents for the rest of chips and the rest of consoles?

Back