WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Zelda will have downloadable content. Read the follwing questions and answers from this article again:
GP: How long is Twilight Princess?

Harrison: There are 70+ hours of gameplay -- it's significantly longer than Windwaker.

GP: What sorts of online features are you looking forward to in the future?

Harrison: Downloadable content, such as additional levels.

GP: Any plans for any type of post-release online component for Twilight Princess?

Harrison: I haven't heard of anything yet. I think everyone is still busy trying to make sure the game gets out correctly.
Seems to me that Harrison makes clear that Zelda does not have any downloads (to his knowledge) but other titles might/will, interpet it how you like ;)

Did anyone else check out the Need for Speed: Carbon video over at IGN? There's a nice headlight effect that looks a little better than what we saw in the PS2 games IIRC. But I didn't play this series at all, really.

Yeh, I saw it to. It looks pretty good. Didn't really pay much attention to the lighting, I'll look at it again.

I think thejeeks point was to do with the size of the download as determined by disk size. As a GC game, ZTP is going to be 1.5 GB in size. Let's say a third of that is textures. That's 500 MB of textures. If you want to quadruple texture resolution for Wii, you'd need 2 GB of textures. Where are you going to store that? It'd be possible on disc. They could do a ZTP for Wii on DVD with extra textures. As a download though, as you downloaded the data per level or something odd, I don't see that there's anywhere to store larger textures.

Can't you use SD cards?

And 2 Gigs? Would it really be THAT big?

Wait, they downgraded flipper for the GC? I thought they downgraded Gekko and UPgraded flipper at the last minute?

not counting the almost- totally-forgotten-about undocumented downgrades that Dolphin went through in 1999-2000 before being revealed as Gamecube - from August goo2000 when Gamecube was revealed, forward to E3 2001, the Flipper GPU was downgraded from 202.5 MHz to 162 MHz, while the Gekko CPU was upgraded from 405 MHz to 485 MHz. but also, as I said, all of the different bandwidth's of the Gamecube, both external memory and embedded memory, were downgraded because of the Flipper core clockspeed downgrade.

main memory bandwidth went from 3.2 GB/sec to 2.6 GB/sec

embedded memory bandwidth was downgraded to (don't have the exact figures in front of me) something like ~12 GB/sec texture read bandwidth to 10.4 GB/sec, although that's not the entire bandwidth of the embedded 1T-SRAM which is said to be close to 20 GB/sec in total.

total system GFLOP performance was downgraded from ~13 GFLOPs to 10.5 GFLOPs.

Can't you use SD cards?
Possibly, but then to use these texture packs you'd need a 2GB SD card which is going to alienate a lot of Wii owners - at which point would you bother creating texture packs?
And 2 Gigs? Would it really be THAT big?
Possibly, at least by my reckoning. The major data-guzzler of a game is the graphics assets - models and textures. I don't think it unreasonable to expect a third of a GC disc to be taken up with textures, though maybe someone here can correct me on that. That'd be 500 KB. If you doublt the size in both dimension, from say 128x128 textures to 256x256 textures, that's a 4x increase in size = 4x increase in storage = 2 GB.

I guess there could be an alternative in the textures being stored in the download as JPEGs and decompressed into Wii memory as needed, when the level loads. Then you might be looking at more like 200 Kb.

Still, I'm unconvinced anything like downloadable ZTP content exists.

GP: What sorts of online features are you looking forward to in the future?
Harrison: Downloadable content, such as additional levels.

GP: Any plans for any type of post-release online component for Twilight Princess?
Harrison: I haven't heard of anything yet. I think everyone is still busy trying to make sure the game gets out correctly.

I can't imagine there'd be able to add download content into ZTP if it's not written into the engine already, and if it's already written into the engine to support downloadable content, wouldn't Harrison's answer be more like 'there isn't anything planned at the moment, but it is possible to do'? I find it hard to imagine that they've included the ability to enhance the game with downloaded content and yet not let people know.

not counting the almost- totally-forgotten-about undocumented downgrades that Dolphin went through in 1999-2000

If they're undocumented, there's not a lot you can say about them. They might have been rumors, or they might have been untenable at the time to maintain the price and reliability of the system.

I think thejeeks point was to do with the size of the download as determined by disk size. As a GC game, ZTP is going to be 1.5 GB in size. Let's say a third of that is textures. That's 500 MB of textures. If you want to quadruple texture resolution for Wii, you'd need 2 GB of textures. Where are you going to store that? It'd be possible on disc. They could do a ZTP for Wii on DVD with extra textures. As a download though, as you downloaded the data per level or something odd, I don't see that there's anywhere to store larger textures.

Is the upgrade in textures confirmed in the Wii version? I thought they said the only differences between the cube and Wii version were that in the Wii version Link was right handed, the dungeons were flipped and widescreen support.

not counting the almost- totally-forgotten-about undocumented downgrades that Dolphin went through in 1999-2000 before being revealed as Gamecube -

But what kind of downgrades are those that you talk about, just clock speeds and Edram or features too and what about the CPU? From what you talked before (up to 8MB) it seemed very irrealistic for the time, althought maybe not for todays consoles (even at the 200-250$ range), so we may see some of that tech on Wi it could be usefull for this thread know what had been originally planned for Dolphin (aparentely like the controlers), interesting that at least once of the IGN reports also talked about 16MB of edram.

BTW there is a FC:V video on IGN, it is hard to tell because I just saw the low rez version but it looks like the water is better on Wi (but I always thought that the water in GC games is better than XB ones) the scenarios seems equal, cant talk about the caracthers as we dont see them time enought. Still it can be a ilussion of the low rez, but if it is at least equal then it will probably be a good job considering the probable amount of time/work they had for the gfx on the game.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/744/744521p1.html

I don't think Zelda will have downloadable content. Read the follwing questions and answers from this article again:

Seems to me that Harrison makes clear that Zelda does not have any downloads (to his knowledge) but other titles might/will, interpet it how you like ;)

I interpret that differently.
I interpret that to mean there would be some downloadable content,but no online play(component).

As far downloable content,I'm thinking minor stuff like new clothes for Link or other stuf.

New Pokemon Battle Revolution actual gameplay footage from Nintendo World (offscreen):
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/7327

Hitting target renders yet? (Looks like it. I'd say the highlights from the earliest movie was due to the lighting of the stadium. Since this one has a sunset, the stronger light source seems to overhighlight much of everything else.) From the looks of it, it seems to be running at 60fps (although the movie only plays back at 30fps, there are instances of smoothness that can only be seen when videorecording games running at 60fps)

BTW there is a FC:V video on IGN, it is hard to tell because I just saw the low rez version but it looks like the water is better on Wi (but I always thought that the water in GC games is better than XB ones) the scenarios seems equal, cant talk about the caracthers as we dont see them time enought. Still it can be a ilussion of the low rez, but if it is at least equal then it will probably be a good job considering the probable amount of time/work they had for the gfx on the game.

Footage seems to have some rather abnormal contrasting put into it, perhaps to match the prerenders (to a horrible degree) of the commercial?

Last edited by a moderator:

I heard GC has some specialeffects added to the gpu to make some effect like water look better.

The Far Cry video also seems very much like a work in progress. I noticed quite a few surfaces without textures, which I expect to be fixed in the final version. But another thing I saw is that unlike the Xbox version, shadows didn't generally project onto the player, and the hands just looked like they had a simple texture, but yet on 1up there are some new screens that look bump-mapped. But one other thing that does make me happy is that Ubisoft bothered to write a decent water shader--of course, the Prince of Persias and Beyond Good and Evil all had pretty cool water effects; Ubisoft was the only 3rd party besides Factor 5 to do that.

New Pokemon Battle Revolution actual gameplay footage from Nintendo World (offscreen):
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/7327

Hitting target renders yet? (Looks like it. I'd say the highlights from the earliest movie was due to the lighting of the stadium. Since this one has a sunset, the stronger light source seems to overhighlight much of everything else.) From the looks of it, it seems to be running at 60fps (although the movie only plays back at 30fps, there are instances of smoothness that can only be seen when videorecording games running at 60fps)

thanks!

that's the best looking Pokemon Battle Revolution video aside from the original target render video
(if that WAS a target render). of course things always tend to look better off screen than direct feed.
can't tell what the framerate was, hoping for 60.

But what kind of downgrades are those that you talk about, just clock speeds and Edram or features too and what about the CPU? From what you talked before (up to 8MB) it seemed very irrealistic for the time, althought maybe not for todays consoles (even at the 200-250$ range), so we may see some of that tech on Wi it could be usefull for this thread know what had been originally planned for Dolphin (aparentely like the controlers), interesting that at least once of the IGN reports also talked about 16MB of edram.

originally, 32 to 64 MB of main system memory, but SDRAM or DDR not 1T-SRAM

at least 8 MB embedded 1T-SRAM memory

http://cube.ign.com/articles/081/081328p1.html
* Main Memory: High Speed RAM

The high speed main system memory is thought to be provided by NEC, and because of its cost-effectiveness Nintendo will be able use a large quantity of it, upwards of 32-64 megabytes(MB), in Dolphin. This memory is integral to Dolphin's performance, as developers need to rely on it for nearly everything they do. The more memory Dolphin has, the faster it will be. The high speed and large quantity will give developers the ability to liberally use detailed motion-captured animations, create endlessly large levels, as well as cut down on load-time.

* Graphics Memory: Embedded MoSys 1T-SRAM

Aside from a main chunk of RAM the whole system can access, Dolphin's graphics chip will also feature from 8-16MB of its own embedded memory. The memory is called 1T-SRAM, and will be supplied the company MoSys Incorporated. It is very similar to normal DRAM, but is dramatically faster, and since the memory is embedded directly into the graphics chip, meaning it doesn't have to go off-chip to access it as with the main memory, it will be able to move data at extremely high speeds. The graphics chip will be unlike any other chip on the market at the time because of the use of the 1T-SRAM. Its blazing speed will give developers room to breath when processing graphics data, and especially textures. The end visual result is bound to be nothing short of stunning. Howard Lincoln, chairman, Nintendo of America's chairman put it best when he said. "We will employ this technology to surpass the game experience offered by any competing console or personal computer."

30 million polygons per second with all features on
http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=5412
the Dolphin will have a polygon rate of 30 millions polygons with all effects on (that's 80 million with all effects off. So how does this compare with Sony. Well Sony will have a polygon rate of about 20 million polygons with all effects on (about just short of 70 million with all effects off).

original source dolphincentral - website long dead.

also here http://www.xs4all.nl/~jaapfun/nzone/news/0004.html

Last edited by a moderator:
originally, 32 to 64 MB of main system memory, but SDRAM or DDR not 1T-SRAM

at least 8 MB embedded 1T-SRAM memory

http://cube.ign.com/articles/081/081328p1.html

30 million polygons per second with all features on
http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=5412

original source dolphincentral - website long dead.

also here http://www.xs4all.nl/~jaapfun/nzone/news/0004.html

With the same feature set of the GC? I ask this because IIRC I saw in a forum that GC is supossed to have vertex shaders or something else to help with the rendering and that is why they latter upgraded the CPU (althought I dont know if this info is legit or no). Anyway that seems to match the 3,5-3x GC we heard about Wii. Thanks for the info.

Bah. Reading the articles that IGN posted last year when they were finding out the Wii specs, it's even more annoying to find out that Wii's GPU/CPU/RAM were downgraded even further than they planned. It was originally supposed to have:

~1.0 Ghz CPU
~333 Mhz GPU
~128 MB RAM

Feh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back