WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way with total domination of a lower level graphics work like that. Frankly, Nintendo will become the "other" side of gaming. I personally predict they'll sell like crazy and will establish the console for people who are not "gamers." I also believe that Nintendo will match PS3/360 level hardware (if its efficent to do so) when they release their next console. It just makes sense. They'd have no product to sell other wise, as people will expect both further refining of interaction with the game and improved graphics and physics.

I'm hoping it's true. What I'm worried about is if Nintendo succeeds on the Wii, they may feel the need to not bother upgrading even by 360/PS3 level. I mean, if it's successfull so far, why go that high next time, right?

If it is to keep the same strategy and the same power why launch a new console at all?

If in 2 years MS cant produce a 360 at around 200$ I would be suprised (at the time even 45nm should be a reallity) and with more efficient use of power (PPU/AIPU/whateverPU) it would be really strange if in 5 years they dont even match 360/PS3.

If it is to keep the same strategy and the same power why launch a new console at all?

If in 2 years MS cant produce a 360 at around 200$ I would be suprised (at the time even 45nm should be a reallity) and with more efficient use of power (PPU/AIPU/whateverPU) it would be really strange if in 5 years they dont even match 360/PS3.

Having seen what the best games look like only a year or two into these next-gen systems, Nintendo really should push for xbox 360/ps3 level graphics for Wii2. They would be saving tons of money compared to their competition who will be continuing their expensive hardware wars, and they would still get startlingly amazing graphic capabilities.

If Nintendo does a great job with 1st party titles this gen (giving us more than they did last gen), they'll do far better than the GC. If they continue the trend next gen on xbox 360 caliber hardware, I think they'll easily take the number 1 spot.

Well, I'm just saying because look, it's been 5 years later, and Nintendo decides to BARELY go beyond GC tech, when in fact they could have gone quite a bit higher, while still making a profit. Hell, making the Wii case bigger would have helped quite a bit I think (heat dissipation and all that), and Nintendo knew it but PURPOSELY made it as small as possible as an excuse not to (that's what I see anyway). So I'm just worried if they may feel the same way next time.

Well, I'm just saying because look, it's been 5 years later, and Nintendo decides to BARELY go beyond GC tech, when in fact they could have gone quite a bit higher, while still making a profit. Hell, making the Wii case bigger would have helped quite a bit I think (heat dissipation and all that), and Nintendo knew it but PURPOSELY made it as small as possible as an excuse not to (that's what I see anyway). So I'm just worried if they may feel the same way next time.

The thought about size wasn't an excuse, I really do believe it was the first thing they thought about, the power is a consequence of the size.

The thought about size wasn't an excuse, I really do believe it was the first thing they thought about, the power is a consequence of the size.
I don't think that size limited the hardware to the power it has. You could probably squeeze chips in that consumed 2, 3, even 4 times as much power into the same package and still get by. Unless of course Hollywood consumes a heck of a lot of power and all that budget is reserved for it...

Well, I'm just saying because look, it's been 5 years later, and Nintendo decides to BARELY go beyond GC tech, when in fact they could have gone quite a bit higher, while still making a profit

just think, if Wii's successor uses a relatively state-of-the-art GPU in 5-6 years for its time (something waaay beyond Xenos and RSX), it'll give Nintendo the advantage of appearing to make an absolutely massive leap beyond Wii in graphics, since all evidence points to Hollywood being a mildly enhanced version of a 1999-2000 GPU architecture.

I'd have thought Nintendo could go with 3 year old tech but launch machines in between Sony generations. eg. When Wiiii launches, they can use a G70 class GPU and some rocessor from now, while making it small. The graphics will be comparable with XB360 and PS3 at that time, but cost Nintendo a lot less to get together. Doing this every gen, Nintendo wouldn't be amazingly behind the power curve while maintaining their low-cost strategy.

RRR blog #3

a quote of particular interest
Every graphic designer models the rough environment directly in the Jade engine, which is an evolution of the engine used for games such as King Kong and Beyond Good & Evil. The fact that we do things directly within the engine and editor makes things much easier, as we can see what we have created in game almost instantly. We effectively model an element, stop the engine and then see what it looks like in game.

that, if implemented properly, is a sign of very good production pipeline (tm). so unless ubi take the F5 route, jade may be here to stay.

RRR blog #3

a quote of particular interest

that, if implemented properly, is a sign of very good production pipeline (tm). so unless ubi take the F5 route, jade may be here to stay.

That would be very cool if it means much cheaper games, or with much higher qualitity overall (much more content, better AI...).

Too bad we cant infer a bit more from Wii HW:cry: .

The line about Wii being "formidable for 640x480 rendering" really makes a lot of sense, when you consider what X360 can do at 720p.

Isn't every X360 game rendered at 720p and downscaled for SDTV?

The Wii is designed to run at a maximum of 480p, so those with SDTVs (or EDTVs) won't see as much of a difference. (i.e. most people)

Sorry for regurgitating the old news. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back