WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Red Steel media

thanks. ya beat me to it. woke up late today. looking at the new RS media over coffee.

Here's some more stuff. Jeux France posted more videos and these were youtubed as well. Here is all of them:

Video #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGZDTdxtWwU

Video #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Xkazx99S0

Video #3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weCnmgKFDfY

Video #4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ciCVDYta1g

Video #5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdiSMtOdlms

So what do you think, visually speaking?

Overall, I'm impressed. I loved the lighting effects from what I saw in the video. The environments in general look beautiful, especially the traditional Japanese settings. The animation was a lot more fluid, and the AI is pretty good. Some of the character models looked decent. However, I wish some characters were more detailed (some bump mapping on their clothes would have helped alot instead of flat textures). I really don't know what to think of the control, but at least is was highly customizable.

EDIT: There was some decent ragdoll physics going on and alot of things were destructable.

I just found this blog,I don't know hwo he is or his crednetials but this what he is reporting.

Specs

As requested, I will say some specs that I know of. It's a bit technical but I try to make it so most can understand it well.

The Broadway processor is clocked to 729 MHz. It has 96 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache.

The Hollywood graphic processing unit is clocked to 243 MHz with totally 27 MB graphics memory.

The RAM memory will be 64 MB of very fast GDDR3 memory.

There you have the basic specs for you who really want to know the numbers. Keep in mind, this machine perform much better than you can think when you look at this specs.

http://saruwatari-wii.blogspot.com/

Any thoughts on this, guys?

Did you guys notice this?

If you watch the latest Jeux France videos, there are different sensitivities for the weapon fight (3 settings) and the sword fights 2 settings called "small subtle movement" and "big swings").

Did you guys notice this?

If you watch the latest Jeux France videos, there are different sensitivities for the weapon fight (3 settings) and the sword fights 2 settings called "small subtle movement" and "big swings").

actually i did ; )

djdev said:

niiiiiice.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what do you think, visually speaking?

I do think they look nice (like/on the level of others Wii games) but I dont think that is a improvment over last gen big enought to worth a new console (much less a 250$ one), because while they indeed look better one need to pay some attention to see that it really looks better, it isnt a immediate perception, unlike it would be with the E3 trailer.

Anyway one the plus side they showed a very good improvement once they got final SDKs with just 3-4 months caring a lot with the controler a very different art direction, I wonder with enought time and proper effort with the SW (ie Ubi never pushed GC HW very well (ie not even close to Factor 5 level) and UE is probably a bad match for GC/Wii HW once it is build for a PC with DX6-7 or XB like) it could be very interesting if they made the game in a engine made from the grund up to the Wii HW (hopefully at the E3 trailer level).

I do think they look nice (like/on the level of others Wii games) but I dont think that is a improvment over last gen big enought to worth a new console (much less a 250$ one), because while they indeed look better one need to pay some attention to see that it really looks better, it isnt a immediate perception, unlike it would be with the E3 trailer.

Anyway one the plus side they showed a very good improvement once they got final SDKs with just 3-4 months caring a lot with the controler a very different art direction, I wonder with enought time and proper effort with the SW (ie Ubi never pushed GC HW very well (ie not even close to Factor 5 level) and UE is probably a bad match for GC/Wii HW once it is build for a PC with DX6-7 or XB like) it could be very interesting if they made the game in a engine made from the grund up to the Wii HW (hopefully at the E3 trailer level).

It might take awhile for a game to come out that is built for the ground up for the Wii. Sadness and Mario Galaxy won't be out for awhile.

As far as using UE, it was proabably the best choice so that they could get the game out on time while still looking decent. I do agree that UE is a more PC centric and mainly optimized for hardware that uses Direct X effects. I wished that Ubisoft implemented more realistic lighting on it's characters instead of making them manga cutouts. It distracts from the beautiful backgrounds.

and still RS looks pretty darn good for a launch title (imagine if they had a year more). let's see now what the other ubi guys will achieve with the much friendlier jade engine.

As far as using UE, it was proabably the best choice so that they could get the game out on time while still looking decent. I do agree that UE is a more PC centric and mainly optimized for hardware that uses Direct X effects.

I do agree that from a business POV it is probably a good decision, but UE it is "raw" or "pure" form isnt even good enought or optimized enought for the XB (as we can see from the version UE2 to the UE2X (the latter had up to 4x the geometry and a lot more of fxs (shader baseds like distortion and depth blur, bloom, advanced lightning/shawdows... and the CPU had also been a lot more time to spend on AI and such)) so this is probably a very unoptimized engine to Wii, so lot to be extracted yet (I hope).

and still RS looks pretty darn good for a launch title (imagine if they had a year more). let's see now what the other ubi guys will achieve with the much friendlier jade engine.

Great mastery of old tech (eg EM), I guess.

Rayman Raving Rabbits looks decent and has a really good art design, but it's not really screaming next gen. It could be done on the Xbox. Ubisoft really isn't pushing the system technically for this title. Honestly, this games doesn't really need it.

As far as gameplay, it should have ben a platformer instead of a minigame collection.

Long videos from Jeux France
http://www.jeux-france.com/downloads6706_video-rayman-wii.html

Rayman Raving Rabbits looks decent and has a really good art design, but it's not really screaming next gen. It could be done on the Xbox. Ubisoft really isn't pushing the system technically for this title. Honestly, this games doesn't really need it.

As far as gameplay, it should have ben a platformer instead of a minigame collection.

Long videos from Jeux France
http://www.jeux-france.com/downloads6706_video-rayman-wii.html

Actually it could be done on PS2, as it is a crosssplatform game with PS2.

BTW here can I find info on the JADE engine and why we hear that is that good for GC (after all it is meant to play primary PS2 games?)?

I do agree that from a business POV it is probably a good decision, but UE it is "raw" or "pure" form isnt even good enought or optimized enought for the XB (as we can see from the version UE2 to the UE2X (the latter had up to 4x the geometry and a lot more of fxs (shader baseds like distortion and depth blur, bloom, advanced lightning/shawdows... and the CPU had also been a lot more time to spend on AI and such)) so this is probably a very unoptimized engine to Wii, so lot to be extracted yet (I hope).

Great mastery of old tech (eg EM), I guess.

I hope that Epic creates a Wii specific version of UE that can support normal mapping, advanced lighting and shading instead of having companies mod it themselves. We will see as time moves on. By EM are you saying Environment Mapping? It seems to use that to perfection to make the environments look so good.

Consider this, frame-rate is reported to be 60. What would have been possible at half the framerate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back