WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is smoke one of those things that needs to be seen in motion to fully appreciate? I find that with certain things. I've looked at games in screenshots and not been too impressed only to have my mind changed once I play it.

Perhaps, smoke when not in motion is no more interesting than a skybox.

I had in mind games of RE 4's quality from other developers. Naturally Capcom has the RE 4 engine and doesn't really need to do too much to get a game to look nearly identical. Nothing else i've seen approaches that game (with similar styling, meaning something semi-realistic).

so what do you think of the MP series, the 3rd one in particular?

The ps2 was similar with the xbox and only slightly inferior,but they were the same generation somethin similar with ps3/xbox360.The Wii is a generation behind the other consoles.
Actually Xbox is significantly more powerful than PS2 and is most likely worthy of being considered as a generation ahead of it. Cube is a lot closer to Xbox, but it isn't really its match.

Oh and controlling games with a remote control doesn't seem as great as some nintendo fans are making it to be.Give me a great joypad over the wiimote anytime.

The rest,about parents and stuff,are not even worth replying...

I don't see how you can judge Nintendo's new take on game control. I doubt you've ever used it. Personally I can't wait to give it a shot. Nintendo always seems to come up with a new twist at each new generation and honestly I haven't disliked anything they've done.

Except Virtual Boy, of course! Though that was an interesting idea too, but it didn't really technologically work out.

What I find amusing is that I'm already seeing Wii-imitator remotes. How typical.

At $250 it'll take a little convincing to get me to buy the Wii. If I'm impressed with the demo setup at the local store, I'll probably buy it. It'll come down to whether or not I feel the new controller can really add something new to gaming. If it feels gimmicky in the end, well, I'm not going to be buying it. The machine is totally relying on that controller cuz it sure isn't going to be any technological barn burner on any other level. The emulation-of-old-N-games isn't exactly enticing cuz, well, I've been there and done that and it's definitely not going to be a deciding factor for me. IMO it's one of those "value-added" bullets for marketing, like DVD playback say.

Last edited by a moderator:
so what do you think of the MP series, the 3rd one in particular?

That's a tough one, I'd have to see it in person. I was impressed with Metroid Prime, but I never played the second one, which evidently had improved graphics. Most of the pics and videos I've seen of it are giving me mixed reactions.

http://www.gfdata.de/archiv10-2006-gamefront/2313.html

So it looks like Ati is putting thier symbol on the Wii again.
And the system does have a fan at the back,I thought it was going to be completely fanless.

Well I've only seen quotes saying it would be fanless when in sleep mode. Having said that, the fact it has a fan is the only thing that gives me hope to "special sauce" still hidden in the hardware. There is no way in hell that a gamecube at 50% overclock is going to need a fan at 90nm, just no way.

Ok so I'm not an engineer, but there's just no way lol.

Well I've only seen quotes saying it would be fanless when in sleep mode. Having said that, the fact it has a fan is the only thing that gives me hope to "special sauce" still hidden in the hardware. There is no way in hell that a gamecube at 50% overclock is going to need a fan at 90nm, just no way.

Ok so I'm not an engineer, but there's just no way lol.

Well, it is in a much smaller case than the cube; did the mac mini need a fan?
Besides, it may be there just in case so they don't have randomly failing wiis.

Well, it is in a much smaller case than the cube; did the mac mini need a fan?
Besides, it may be there just in case so they don't have randomly failing wiis.

the mini has a fan with controlled speed. AFAIKT most of the time it's off or at low RPMs, during which it's practically silent. it spins up only during prolonged high system loads or when the dvd drive works - but even then it's not that noisy, usually the dvd is the true source of noise.

the mini has a fan with controlled speed. AFAIKT most of the time it's off or at low RPMs, during which it's practically silent. it spins up only during prolonged high system loads or when the dvd drive works - but even then it's not that noisy, usually the dvd is the true source of noise.

Well, I think the Wii has an even smaller form factor and its hardware should be in full use whenever it's playing a game. In a larger case with a large heatsink, the Wii probably could get away with being fanless, but the small case size probably necessitated a fan.

btw, today while skimming through the latest nintendo power, i came across a short snippet on Ubi's monster 4x4, and there i noticed two interesting details:
  • the game originated on the 'box
  • the will version will be 60fps, the xbox's was 30fps.
so i went over to team xbox's screenshots section, and after a quick browse through the material there, and comparing that against what we've seen from the wii port so far, it looks like:
  • level and model complexity-wise the two versions are fairly identical
  • the wii version seems to have considerably fatter fillrate-burning effects*

btw, the wii port is being made by Ubi's barcelona team.

* see xbox's shots 3, 8, 11 vs this and this shots from the wii version.

For those concerned about my deteriorating eyesight - I can clearly see the improvements between those set of screenshots.

Many Wii titles seem to show masses of blur. Some of it is motion trails but not sure what's going on with these shots as sometimes it only seems to apply to background stuff - is this a depth of field effect? Gamecube didn't seem to get these types of effect as often as the PS/2 did - does any of this suggest anything about Hollywood relative to Flipper? Does this type of effect need anything beyond fillrate and additional memory for an accumulation buffer?

I just found this blog,I don't know hwo he is or his crednetials but this what he is reporting.

Specs

As requested, I will say some specs that I know of. It's a bit technical but I try to make it so most can understand it well.

The Broadway processor is clocked to 729 MHz. It has 96 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache.

The Hollywood graphic processing unit is clocked to 243 MHz with totally 27 MB graphics memory.

The RAM memory will be 64 MB of very fast GDDR3 memory.

There you have the basic specs for you who really want to know the numbers. Keep in mind, this machine perform much better than you can think when you look at this specs.

http://saruwatari-wii.blogspot.com/

btw, today while skimming through the latest nintendo power, i came across a short snippet on Ubi's monster 4x4, and there i noticed two interesting details:
  • the game originated on the 'box
  • the will version will be 60fps, the xbox's was 30fps.
so i went over to team xbox's screenshots section, and after a quick browse through the material there, and comparing that agains what we've seen from the wii port so far, it looks like:
  • level and model complexity-wise the two versions are fairly identical
  • the wii version seems to have considerably fatter fillrate-burning effects*

btw, the wii port is being made by Ubi's barcelona team.

* see xbox's shots 3, 8, 11 vs this and this shots from the wii version.

Can you tell me what do you see of so good on these game, maybe it is just my eyes that arent educated but I find very hard to see anything interesting even for a last gen game.

BTW why would it have more fillrate-burning effects (specially at twice the fremerate) once it is supossed to have almost the same fillrate. Just the much better architeture or just a very underused XB HW?.

Well, I think the Wii has an even smaller form factor and its hardware should be in full use whenever it's playing a game. In a larger case with a large heatsink, the Wii probably could get away with being fanless, but the small case size probably necessitated a fan.

The Mac Mini's case may be slightly bigger then Wii's but surely it also consumes a lot more power then Wii? Also if we're to believe that Wii is merely an overclocked GC then why should it need a larger case or heatsink? For instance we already know that Broadway consumes 20% less power then Gekko..

The Mac Mini's case may be slightly bigger then Wii's but surely it also consumes a lot more power then Wii? Also if we're to believe that Wii is merely an overclocked GC then why should it need a larger case or heatsink? For instance we already know that Broadway consumes 20% less power then Gekko..

Well, the Mac Mini was 130nm chips (maybe even 150nm graphics chip) so it likely did consume more. In performance though, its ~1ghz G4 + radeon 9000 (or worse) are probably close to the Wii's hardware, maybe faster.

Heat diffusion is based off of volume though, right? In absolute terms the Wii may not be much smaller than a mini, but in relative terms it probably shaves off a significant percentage of volume.

Can you tell me what do you see of so good on these game, maybe it is just my eyes that arent educated but I find very hard to see anything interesting even for a last gen game.

pc, that was a purely technical comparison, assuming similar levels of devs expertise and effort. whether the title exhibits anything interesting per se was beyond my post.

BTW why would it have more fillrate-burning effects (specially at twice the fremerate) once it is supossed to have almost the same fillrate. Just the much better architeture or just a very underused XB HW?.

the thing is, those two alternative explanations you consider are actually connected; a more-efficient-in-something architecture would often have a utilisation advantage in that same thing over a significantly-less efficient architecture. IOW, a GPU with an embedded framebuffer and a potent texels delivery mechanism would give devs a much easier time obtaining to-the-specs sustained fillrate, versus an IMR GPU sitting on UMA. so given that the original title did not use very funky shaders, or in general visual techniques that would be in any way tough to reporduce on hollywood, i can easily see how some not-necesserily-stellar-on-either-platform devs (what have ubi barcelona done for the box/cube anyway?) may obtain a significant boost in their fillrate budget for the wii port.

Ok and thanks for the info, these seems that it is happening with other games, like Marvel, too. It should be interesting to see (will?) what happen if someone try to really port a shading havy game to Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back