WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly was changed about the cpu? Isn't a GX practically the same architecture (and performance per mhz, ignoring SIMD) as a CX?

Before I go in depth ninzel is pretty much right about the red steel obersvation on the models. The look makes em look like cutouts at a distance due to Aura the ubisoft team wanted to do. In motion I'm assuming this actually would look pretty nifty but in stills (why bother with next gen material) it ends up looking assy to some. Fox I've said some of the changes they did in various threads littered around the forums, but no harm in saying them here.

Cache size both L1(128k unconfirmed how) and L2(512) are beefier than the gecko. Source said the cpu ran faster than the 750GX, though didn't disclose what bencharking was done. Memory addressing was tweaked as well but as you notice not really specific. It wasn't a simple die shrink either as even with the shrink there is ample room for nintendo to make even more adjustments with space left. Considering the three things along with power consumption tweaks nintendo has been doing I wouldn't be surpried if there was a little more to the cpu we don't know.

No, it's not a glossy bump-map. It's a full-on reflection (sphere map?) that all distorted by the bump map on the floor. I suppose that's EMBM.
I don't see the girl being reflected on the ground, I only see her shadow. Even if it were a full distorted reflection of realtime samples, that effect is doable on the GC.

No, it's not a glossy bump-map. It's a full-on reflection (sphere map?) that all distorted by the bump map on the floor. I suppose that's EMBM.

well, from what i recall, SMG has EMBMed reflections too. in case you have access to the higher-res footages, check the one where mario passes by one firgate, or anyway some sort of a sails ship in space. otherwise, there are specularity-based reflection effects on many objects in the game, i just can't tell from the footage if they reflect anything or they're just using static specularity maps.

How does the play selection work in multiplayer? Do you have to point to the play you're going to run?

I have never played Madden ( I only recently got to enjoy watching some American football ). So I haven't got the slightest clue. How is it handled in the "normal" versions?

Cache size both L1(128k unconfirmed how) and L2(512) are beefier than the gecko. Source said the cpu ran faster than the 750GX, though didn't disclose what bencharking was done. Memory addressing was tweaked as well but as you notice not really specific. It wasn't a simple die shrink either as even with the shrink there is ample room for nintendo to make even more adjustments with space left. Considering the three things along with power consumption tweaks nintendo has been doing I wouldn't be surpried if there was a little more to the cpu we don't know.

Well if the chip does have a size big enought to store 1MG but if does have only 512 KB then there is a lot of transistores used in logic that should lead to a good boost on the performance.

I hope it is true:D .

I have never played Madden ( I only recently got to enjoy watching some American football ). So I haven't got the slightest clue. How is it handled in the "normal" versions?

Normally you can scroll through plays and press a button to pick from one of three. This way, the second player has to at least guess between three possible plays. If you have to point to select which one, then you are basically telling him exactly what your defense/offense will do.

I believe this is the correct link.

Cool, so how does this compare with Gekko (on a per clock basis) and what more could they put in there to bost it to the 25mm^ like we saw in the other thread (just a jump to 512Kb?). Also notice that a die shrink of gekko would made it 11mm^ but this is 16mm^ and with the same caches of Gekko so it should be more logic in Broaday than Gekko (what is it being used for?).

I can't remember if this was posted before on this thread since it started...
I was looking at some bookmarked pages I have of beyond3D and digged up this link

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8489

it was about a nintendo patent, the thread was around jan 2004.
Turns out it was the Wii.
At the time people weren't sure why Nintendo would have such a patent.
quite a fun read.

I can't remember if this was posted before on this thread since it started...
I was looking at some bookmarked pages I have of beyond3D and digged up this link

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8489

it was about a nintendo patent, the thread was around jan 2004.
Turns out it was the Wii.
At the time people weren't sure why Nintendo would have such a patent.
quite a fun read.

That is interesting. Well, considreing this interview from Miyamoto (http://www.gamebrink.com/news/602-Miyamoto_The_Interview_Part_2.html), the Wii is an updated GC with new controls.

"Miyamoto:
The hardware is basically a GC. We’ve upgraded our development tools to new versions but, you can still use GC programs as they are. With that in mind, I thought we could remake GC titles for the Wii and modify them to work with the Wii remote so that they’re more fun to play."

I'd rather just buy a used GC for about $60 than buy a Wii with expensive controls for about $250.

I'd rather just buy a used GC for about $60 than buy a Wii with expensive controls for about $250.

Some of us have already played all the good Gamecube games. I'd buy Red Steel for my Gamecube, but something tells me it won't run so well. If all you care about is looking at what a video chip can do, more power to ya', and enjoy replaying Far Cry for the 500th time with the HDR patch, but some of are ready to move on to new games.

At the end of the day, it doesn't actually matter what you think the silicon, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, controller, nunchuck, and online service in the Wii costs to produce. It's the only silicon in the whole entire world that will play Wii games and give you the Wii experience, and right now, the barrier to entry is $250. To many people, the experience is worth the price.

Some of us are waiting for a price drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of us have already played all the good Gamecube games. I'd buy Red Steel for my Gamecube, but something tells me it won't run so well. If all you care about is looking at what a video chip can do, more power to ya', and enjoy replaying Far Cry for the 500th time with the HDR patch, but some of are ready to move on to new games.

At the end of the day, it doesn't actually matter what you think the silicon, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, controller, nunchuck, and online service in the Wii costs to produce. It's the only silicon in the whole entire world that will play Wii games and give you the Wii experience, and right now, the barrier to entry is $250. To many people, the experience is worth the price.

Some of us are waiting for a price drop.
Nintendo is basically bringing the arcade experience home. Motion sensing in games is not new at all. It's been in the arcade for awhile. That's why I'm not that impressed.

I will be one of the people waiting for a price drop. It's just not worth $250 to me. But then again, I won't buy the other consoles either until they have price drops. I usually buy consoles when they are almost dead anyway. It took me about 4 years to buy an american ps2. I had owned a japanese one 2 years beforehand (loved playing imports). I'm mainly an old school gamer, but you can call me a graphics whore as well.

Motion sensing in games is not new at all. It's been in the arcade for awhile.

I don't see how that matters at all. I don't have an arcade in my room, and as far as I know, none of the upcoming Wii titles are slated for release in arcades, either. I mean, as much as I would love to debate whether or not the Wii is truly original in light of that motion-sensing boxing game, that's not going to make Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel, Mario Galaxy, Madden, etc, any less compelling. Those games must stand on their own merits. And if they do stand, the question then is "Do I want to play them?" not "Is there some crappy arcade game out there that uses a similar control mechanic and thus sullies the 'innovation' claim?"

As I said, it's about the games. If the games end up being compelling, you can't play them without a Wii. It's kind of like you can go on and on about how there were touch-screen games in bars, arcades, and PDAs before the DS, but until you buy a DS, you're simply not playing Advance Wars, Castlevania, Star Fox, etc. The games are the end, and the hardware is the means.

You'd think we all would have learned that after the Xbox so handily proved with its launch titles that bump-mapping does not translate into fun.

You'd think we all would have learned that after the Xbox so handily proved with its launch titles that bump-mapping does not translate into fun.

*rotfl*

golden signature material right there : )

seruously,
/* abstracting myself from vocation and hobby alike */
if i received pleasure for every bump on a triangle in a game i've played for the past five-or-so years, the world would have been a much.. different place. from my POV ; )

That said, I wouldn't mind at all if people would quit porting PS2 engines to the Wii. I mean, come on, most cross-platform titles looked pretty bland in comparison to Cube exclusives, and now we're going to get more flat, animated-texture water in our flight games when we know we could have this. I mean, it would be nice if developers gave a rat's ass, that's all I'm sayin'.

That said, I wouldn't mind at all if people would quit porting PS2 engines to the Wii. I mean, come on, most cross-platform titles looked pretty bland in comparison to Cube exclusives, and now we're going to get more flat, animated-texture water in our flight games when we know we could have this. I mean, it would be nice if developers gave a rat's ass, that's all I'm sayin'.

As I see more and more pics of games, many games are looking well, kind of sad compared to final gen ps2, gc, and xbox titles. Developers are not putting as much effort into the games to make a quick buck.

As I see more and more pics of games, many games are looking well, kind of sad compared to final gen ps2, gc, and xbox titles. Developers are not putting as much effort into the games to make a quick buck.

well, if the ratio of high-effort games vs low-effort games was in favor of the former the world would not be the one it is now, isn't it? ;)

Looking at the acres of badly produced dross available for the PS2 and the GBA, I don't think we can say with certainty that a huge library of bad content does a platform any harm whatsoever...

I don't see how that matters at all. I don't have an arcade in my room, and as far as I know, none of the upcoming Wii titles are slated for release in arcades, either. I mean, as much as I would love to debate whether or not the Wii is truly original in light of that motion-sensing boxing game, that's not going to make Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel, Mario Galaxy, Madden, etc, any less compelling. Those games must stand on their own merits. And if they do stand, the question then is "Do I want to play them?" not "Is there some crappy arcade game out there that uses a similar control mechanic and thus sullies the 'innovation' claim?"

As I said, it's about the games. If the games end up being compelling, you can't play them without a Wii. It's kind of like you can go on and on about how there were touch-screen games in bars, arcades, and PDAs before the DS, but until you buy a DS, you're simply not playing Advance Wars, Castlevania, Star Fox, etc. The games are the end, and the hardware is the means.

I clearly understand graphics don't equal fun. They can add to it, but like I said I'm an old school gamer who own about every system since the original Nintendo at some point. I actually like playing some SNES, Genesis, and PS1 games over what's out now beacause it was fun. The problem is that expectations that I have when it comes to "next-gen". New controls is fine. Motion control will probably be standard when PS4 comes around. But also, there is an expectation for the graphical bar to raise as there always been. Just because I'm a graphics whore doesn't mean that I don't care abut gameplay. I rather play streets of rage and road rash on genesis than half the titles out there because there fun to play. That's why I kinda like what Nintendo is doing with the DS.

I'm not saying that Wii won't be fun to play with the new control scheme. I just expected more out of the developers who are creating games for it and the hardware for the money it cost.

Edit: One more thing that I wanted to add. There was more motion sensing games than Mo-cap boxing. Namco made an arcade motion sensing sword slashing game (I forgot the title). Also Konami made a motion sensing shooting game called Police 911 in the states. A lot of those ideas are just being transfered to home, which is nice. This is kinda off topic. I much rather go blow money at the arcade than play consoles any day. I grew up in arcades and hated when most of them shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back