WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting about all hardware but at the same time i think its strange that many wants and/or complaints about the hardware and what it could do or not.
The whole concept of "not highend" hardware in Wii is because of the other focus by nintendo, mainly cheap as hell and the controller. If you want the best hardware wait untill 17th november ;)

But im still as i said interested in what hardware it gets.
There was also discussion about UE3-engine and how well it manages that, well from my pov the memory should be the biggest bandit there. But again UE3 makes you think of high-end hardware, thus imo i find it a little ironic too discuss that and just not wait.

And cant a MOD close this thread cause there isnt anything about the final hardware and not all people wish to read trough 30+ pages.

(Want to add that i see it different from one who will only buy the Wii of course)

Megadrive1988 said:
<snip>

just some thoughts I had last night, that i got around to putting into text :)

i'm there with you, Megadrive, and i believe many people who have deeper understanding and long-lasting interest in this industry are well excited about the wii. me here, i totally share the stance of the guys from ubisoft that you quoted earlier - as much as it's exciting to conquer new architectures this industry is about _the_games_. now excuse me as i go back to castlevania on my "underpowed" DS - i need to get in shape for the new episode that's coming out next month ; )

ps: btw, i hope the story of wii eventually ends up being the veritable opposite of the story of the dreamcast - that one fine machine that got utterly underutilised and wasted. so i see wii as being the means for the ultimate utilisation of the gc architecture.

Last edited by a moderator:
fearsomepirate said:
Sorry to rain on your parade, but it sounds like these bloggers just plain can't parse grammar. This was found in the comments

Damm:LOL: .

darkblu said:
btw, in case you guys have not seen all the e3 mario galaxies footage, i strongly encourage you to do so (i just discovered some that was new for me here) - the game _does_ put embm to some pretty good use. i personally find the title looks overall spectacular - i've never been a mario fan, damn, i've never even played a game featuring mario, but this i might play just for the art direction and technically cool visuals : )

Yes this one look very nice, LoZ also looks very good (trailer) if you didnt saw I advice you to see it.

Anyone notice this?
MP: The graphics have been upgraded considerably.
We have more memory, and with the new CPU/GPU
architecture
, you’re going to see a very noticeable
improvement in the quality of the visuals.”

It looks like we're dealing with more than a simple overclock of Flipper and Gekko, although of course we have no idea how much has actually changed.

fearsomepirate said:
Anyone notice this?

It looks like we're dealing with more than a simple overclock of Flipper and Gekko, although of course we have no idea how much has actually changed.
Looks like you're the first person to notice the forest, despite the trees, fearsome.

While the other comment doesn't suggest Wii has more memory, this one does indicate that the hardware is more than just overclocked Gamecube hardware. Obviously the architecture has to be close, in order to emulate Gamecube hardware. I also don't think that 729/243 MHz are the final chip speeds.

I think the new architecture incorporates this Recirculating Shader, suggesting its a dedicated shader. It will be totally seperate from the TEV, I'm guessing it has new features and has been slightly redesigned.

Could per-pixel lighting be hardwired?
Also could hardwiring most FXs reduce the amount of silicon needed, compared to increasing pixel pipelines?

Ooh-videogames said:
I think the new architecture incorporates this Recirculating Shader, suggesting its a dedicated shader. It will be totally seperate from the TEV, I'm guessing it has new features and has been slightly redesigned.

Could per-pixel lighting be hardwired?
Also could hardwiring most FXs reduce the amount of silicon needed, compared to increasing pixel pipelines?
Do you think the "shade tree" part of the patent is more a high level developer tool or how the hardware actually works?

Ooh-videogames said:

Can you share some more info, didnt read it with attention but I remember I thought it resembles the TEV unit.

And is for oth the questions.

perpixel lighting can look wonderful, if you can keep the framerate at 60fps.

remember the prerendered Metroid teaser from 6 years ago?

metroidcube1.jpg

perpixel lighting, anti-aliasing, motion blur, high polygon model. I don't think Hollywood will get to quite that quality, but the perpixel lighting i would want to keep ;)

OtakingGX said:
Do you think the "shade tree" part of the patent is more a high level developer tool or how the hardware actually works?

I think it may be a combination, when reading the patent, its mentioned that one reason for using "shade tree", is it allows for a smaller footprint. Cost was their obvious motivation, I'm guessing PC architecture of ATI, designed to take advantage of MS DX requires the use more silicon then what Nintendo was shooting for.

The recirculating part, I believe is something brought over from TEV.

Maybe some one here could give us a more accurate answer.

pc999 said:
Can you share some more info, didnt read it with attention but I remember I thought it resembles the TEV unit.

And is for oth the questions.

Looking at the patent image, it shows the Recirculating Shader is seperate from the TEV and placed below TEV.

There's also a patent by ATI that has something to do with creating a chip with "multiple parallel rasterizers", could some one comment on this with rasterizer knowledge?

Ooh-videogames said:
Looking at the patent image, it shows the Recirculating Shader is seperate from the TEV and placed below TEV.

There's also a patent by ATI that has something to do with creating a chip with "multiple parallel rasterizers", could some one comment on this with rasterizer knowledge?

Thanks.Didnt know that (cant see the images for some reason:???: ), so it seems we can hope some shadiing.

In all likelihood these are just technobabble terms for things we've known and had for years. Renamed to cause confusion.

All contemporary graphics chips have one texture sampling unit per "pipe", and yet they can sample many textures in one pass by putting in extra cycles. Likewise, very short pipes of shader ALUs (2~4 functional units) can execute very long programs. In the PC world some of us call that "loopback".
But I can certainly see that "recirculating" is just as descriptive.

A shader tree is simply one representation of a shader program. Following the instructions node-to-node is also useful as a basic execution model because it minimizes the amount of temporary registers you need for a given program.

you know, we never got to see an ArtX logo on the Gamecube, instead there was an ATi logo
gen747.jpg

we might not get to see the ATi logo on the Wii, we'll probably see an AMD one

AMDinside.jpg

heh

Megadrive1988 said:
you know, we never got to see an ArtX logo on the Gamecube, instead there was an ATi logo

http://www.planetgamecube.com/media/gen747.jpg

we might not get to see the ATi logo on the Wii, we'll probably see an AMD one

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/cgfg/AMDinside.jpg

heh
I prefer no stupid in-your-face advertising logo at all :)
Didn't like the ATI logo on the Gamecube one bit, and it was even executed cheaply. It was simply not a part of the design, just a sticker that was slapped on to make someone happy.

Would Nintendo want to be seen running around advertising for AMD? Meh ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back