WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shock! Horror! A Star-wars game for Wii?! Who'd ever have thought it. SW is such an exclusive franchise it's hard to find it anywhere... :p

Teasy said:
Exclusive Star Wars games aren't quite as easy to come by though Shifty.
I think there's been a fair few titles on one platform that's not on another. And a Wii Lightsaber game would be obvious, welcome, and by it's nature, exclusive - there'll be lots of Wii exclusives like this for sure.

Shifty Geezer said:
I think there's been a fair few titles on one platform that's not on another. And a Wii Lightsaber game would be obvious, welcome, and by it's nature, exclusive - there'll be lots of Wii exclusives like this for sure.

I guess so, anyway the other rumor is more interesting and it is possible too IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have horrible visions of the "star wars kid" being reenacted through out the world....

I might be one of them!

I'd buy/play a lightsaber game if it was well designed and carried out, and the wiimote is capable enough of tracking actual movement rather than just triggering precanned animations...

Ty said:
I have horrible visions of the "star wars kid" being reenacted through out the world....

I might be one of them!

rotflmao

on a side note, i want my next jrpg to look _exactly_ like that golf game! and i won't take 'no' for an answer!

Guden Oden said:
I'd buy/play a lightsaber game if it was well designed and carried out, and the wiimote is capable enough of tracking actual movement rather than just triggering precanned animations...
At first it sounds like a great idea that I'd be up for, but I also feel a sense of caution on greater reflection. The fact is, how many people are going to have reactions baring on precognition as a true Jedi would have? It's that ability that makes the Lightsabre a formidable weapon, and if a player is supposed to wield it with the same effectiveness, you're calling on skills beyond what most people could acquire with years of martial arts training! To a degree, I think you would need the sabre motion to not be exact 1 for 1 as the user wields it, but to gleen from the user's motions what they are wanting to do. A twist to the left shoud be interpretted as an attempt to block a blast from the left if that's what the user wants, and position the sabre in game accordingly regardless of if the player is out by several degrees in their own motion.

Even then, the reality is a sabre is only effective in the movies because of heavily scripted/choreographed battles simulating precognition. A Jedi can twist the sabre to block a blast from behind them without them having to see the enemy there shooting at them because the actor knows a shot is coming from there (or it's added later based on position of the Jedi during filming). You're not going to be able to crete that fluid Jedi combat through the player. A game is going to be reaction based, unless the battles are heavily scripted. There was an Episode 1 game on PS I liked where blocking was achieved by a timed L1 button, and with practice I got pretty good at reacting. Still, lots of shots could get through if I lost the groove. I don't expect I could effectively block blaster shots with a virtual sabre if I had to wield it authentically, and I'm pretty adept at both games and motion skills.

I'm very interested in how the game will be implemented and whether it works or not. It could either be very good or very bad. A slow game that gave the player lots of time to react would probably work best, but that might be counterintuitive to the developers who want to add pace. Like dance-mat games, where simple patterns that look a doddle on screen are actually hard for beginners to work with. The game might look too slow and easy on screen to onlookers, but I think it'd need to be slow to be fun and challenging within the player's capabilities.

chosen_colette said:
I see, i still find it interesting that the specs for the PC version of RE4 are as high as they are (256meg GPU for high detail mode, 128meg for minimum, and DX9.0 support for full effects)

Does that mean that RE4 used some effects that the Xbox wasnt capable of? Anyone have some input on this? im just curious about it (i can start a new thread in a relevant area if one can point me to that area)

Given the quality of previous Capcom to PC ports (and console to PC ports in general), I'd say it's just poorly optimized. The MB requirement is probably just because that's how most people associate video card power, and doesn't really mean anything.
Isn't the PC version of RE4 a port of the inferior PS2 version anyway? Maybe they're trying to have the PC run the code path almost unaltered (a straight port, rather than an optimized one) from the PS2, Metal Gear Solid 2 appears to do that and performance was much worse than it should have been (on xbox and PC) as a result.

The fact is, how many people are going to have reactions baring on precognition as a true Jedi would have? It's that ability that makes the Lightsabre a formidable weapon, and if a player is supposed to wield it with the same effectiveness, you're calling on skills beyond what most people could acquire with years of martial arts training! To a degree, I think you would need the sabre motion to not be exact 1 for 1 as the user wields it, but to gleen from the user's motions what they are wanting to do. A twist to the left shoud be interpretted as an attempt to block a blast from the left if that's what the user wants, and position the sabre in game accordingly regardless of if the player is out by several degrees in their own motion.

Hey, I played that boxing game in the arcade (similar to Police 911) and got maxed out stats for reaction time and cleverness, however I still lost the 2nd match in the game. Most likely I lost due to my other stats were severly lacking, important ones to boxing such as "Charisma" and "Determination", no doubt the latter is determined by how much money you put in the machine.
Anyhow, did you really think a star wars game would require the user to twirl the controller around to do that in game? I don't even know if the Wii controller could accurately track that. (btw, star wars lasers move slow, it's not unreasonable that a person could block them)

What's making anyone think the Wiimote can't track movement? Isn't that the whole point of it? Didn't they have demos (airplane and moving stick) at GDC showing how it could accurately track pinpoint motion? Seems to me the "gesture" stuff is more because there are few games that would benefit from true pinpoint tracking. That kind of accuracy is good for aiming a crosshair, but maybe not for blocking with a shield or something.

Fox5 said:
Anyhow, did you really think a star wars game would require the user to twirl the controller around to do that in game?
I dunno, but if your wanting 1:1 user motion:game motion input, they'll need to be able to if the combat situations are similar to real Star Wars situations
(btw, star wars lasers move slow, it's not unreasonable that a person could block them)
One or two, when your used to it, maybe. But that's from the same direction to. The Jedi are capable of preempting the direction of fire to get the light sabre there in time. If a blaster shot take 1/3rd of a second from shooter to player, and you've one in front on your left, and one to your right firing half a second after the ont to the left, and several enemies around you any of which might fire next, after position the sabre to block the left shot in time, you'll have a fraction of a second to react to the shot on the right and position the sabre in the right place to block it. The only way this would be possible is if you have Jedi precognition or choreographed combat. Workarounds would be non-1:1 motion, where a simple reaction to move the Wiimote right is enough to have the character position the sabre accurately, and leave it to the player to add as much flourish as they feel like (similar to dance mats, where the body dancing has no impact on the game but comes with better play), or scripted events where you know what shots are going to happen when and can choreograph your own motions to get the sabre in the right place in time. That would eventually allow for some groovey Jedi-esque motions, and I could imagine a website where people can upload their own combat movies :D

fearsomepirate said:
What's making anyone think the Wiimote can't track movement? Isn't that the whole point of it?
On paper yeah, but since I haven't tried it myself I have no way of knowing for sure how successful it is of actually accomplishing that goal!

How about Jedi Bullet Time? That would work as a virtual precognition. It works for bullets, after all lol, in many games.

That's what Raven did in JK2 as a matter of fact, with the speed power.

darkblu said:
rotflmao

on a side note, i want my next jrpg to look _exactly_ like that golf game! and i won't take 'no' for an answer!

Heh. Imagine if in the SW game, you could pull off a super move by performing some of that kid's moves. They should hire him and mo-cap him.

I'd probably break my ankle, the coffee table, and a lamp trying...

If the laser isnt very fast it should be possible to stop it, there is also other methods to make it look like precognition, some evident animation of aiming that take some time till shot, it would give enought time to anyone stop the laser.

swaaye said:
How about Jedi Bullet Time? That would work as a virtual precognition. It works for bullets, after all lol, in many games.

That's what Raven did in JK2 as a matter of fact, with the speed power.

Slow bullets, plus a spidey sense indicator to tell you the direction of shots, combined with less than perfect accuracy needed. (Btw, pin point accuracy is accomplished with the IR sensor, which would be pointed straight up when used as a light saber)

Fox5 said:
Slow bullets, plus a spidey sense indicator to tell you the direction of shots, combined with less than perfect accuracy needed. (Btw, pin point accuracy is accomplished with the IR sensor, which would be pointed straight up when used as a light saber)

I'm pretty sure that what they use for the wiimote is different from a plain old IR sensor. If it was, I don't think golf would work either. Or table tennis, for that matter.

requesting that wii keep this more on-topic, focused on Hollywood / the Wii graphics processor ;)

i'm starting to lean back towards Hollywood having 4 pixel pipelines / 4 ROPs, but everything is beefed up significantly. including the XF unit (the T&L unit, now a Vertex Shader) and a significant upgrade to the TEV with more features, combined with a 1.5x to 2x increase in core clocking.

Megadrive1988 said:
i'm starting to lean back towards Hollywood having 4 pixel pipelines / 4 ROPs, but everything is beefed up significantly. including the XF unit (the T&L unit, now a Vertex Shader) and a significant upgrade to the TEV with more features, combined with a 1.5x to 2x increase in core clocking.

Because ERP coments?

PS: sorry for the OT, just thought it dont worth a new thread, I guess I has wrong.

Ok, this is what would make me happy, tell me if its going too far. Xbox graphics, maybe with a small boost to polygonal complexity, higher resolution textures, fantastic lighting (nearly on par with the other next-gen consoles...simpler graphics but with great lighting) and consistent 60fps for said games, or 30fps for games that look substantially better than Xbox.

Basically last gen done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back