WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone knows what would be needed to run in game gfx like rebirth (eg in a Pikmin game) (or XB real time demos/cut scenes, as they are said to have the same power), I mean this is already done (or could be) in real time given 50% more gfx power and enought CPU time and ram/BW one should get a game like this. But anyone know what kind of improvement are we talking about (is it possible with the 2,5-3x from IGN)?

[Link to scan removed]

new scans of Swing Golf Pangya for Wii have emerged via Famitsu - looking good, though *not* something that indicates 3-4x Gamecube. but something that looks Gamecube-esque due to more effort on programming.
the self(?) shadowing is nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the same from tthe trailer, carathers look good, if they can put this kind of look overall in large scale then it will be nice.

Thought it is incredible that SC3/4/Re4/... for GC look way better than anything else.

fearsomepirate said:
But maybe there's a conspiracy for me to say I'm moving to make it look more authentic, and maybe we're conspiring for me to say sarcastic things about conspiracy theories to throw people off guard.

P.S. Have you gotten hold of "Pierre" yet to record our....um....*wink wink nudge nudge.*

OK, seriously, i need to eat, shower, and then go. Have a good time talking about video games, Wii, and Area 51.

so? nobody living close to firesome and willing to give him a hand with that moving? : )

So I'm here. I won't have dorm network access until Monday and my Greek classes start. Look at the top middle:

[Link to scan removed]

Look at the top middle. An overclocked Flipper doesn't do self-shadowing like that. Do you guys even play Cube games, or do you just talk about them? The detail is in keeping with the low RAM numbers we've heard, but the lighting is like nothing I've ever seen on the Cube. I mean, I guess it's Gamecube-esque if you have an imaginary Gamecube with a beefed-up feature set that the real life Gamecubes that people actually play don't have and have been playing imaginary Cube games with lighting effects that no real-life Gamecube game actually has.

Megadrive1988 said:
although Zelda at Space World 2000 had bad artwork, technically it's superior in many ways to Twilight Princess. would like to see a Wii Zelda with high polygon models and 60fps framerate.
Megadrive1988 said:
graphically-superior, yes, framerate-superior, no. but i admit it was impressive.
Why do you think Zelda SW2K was running at 60fps?

mattcoz said:
Why do you think Zelda SW2K was running at 60fps?

I thought that was commen knowledge. it was certainly running at a high framerate like
Soul Calibur which is 60fps, and certainly a higher framerate than Twilight Princess on Gamecube which is generally regarded as a 30fps game (can't speak for the Wii version tho)

What makes you question the framerate of the Zelda SW2K demo?

fearsomepirate said:
Look at the top middle. An overclocked Flipper doesn't do self-shadowing like that. Do you guys even play Cube games, or do you just talk about them? The detail is in keeping with the low RAM numbers we've heard, but the lighting is like nothing I've ever seen on the Cube. I mean, I guess it's Gamecube-esque if you have an imaginary Gamecube with a beefed-up feature set that the real life Gamecubes that people actually play don't have and have been playing imaginary Cube games with lighting effects that no real-life Gamecube game actually has.

I am sorry, fearsome, but linking to magazine scans is against the rules.

Anyway, the lighting is way beyond anything we've seen so far on the GCN. In fact, even the latest Zelda:TP pictures of the Wii version, show a very much improved lighting. Maybe, we're gonna see HDR on Wii, afterall.

hupfinsgack said:
I am sorry, fearsome, but linking to magazine scans is against the rules.

Anyway, the lighting is way beyond anything we've seen so far on the GCN. In fact, even the latest Zelda:TP pictures of the Wii version, show a very much improved lighting. Maybe, we're gonna see HDR on Wii, afterall.

I think it as been said that wii and GC will look equal and really there is nothing that GC shouldnt be able to do anyway, it would be nice to see improved gfx for wii.

I can't say if the lighting has been improved or not. but I can say that it SEEMS like the framerate has been improved - which wouldn't be hard to do even with a 50% faster Flipper / and/or Hollywood based directly on Flipper with no additional features. because of the corresponding increase in fillrate (972 Mpixels/sec) & bandwidth. just assuming for a second that Hollywood really is 1.5x Flipper.

p.s. I am not saying that lighting has not been improved, i'm just not seeing a noticable difference.

What are the odds of Wii having more than one gpu core? I mean, with the die-cast shrink, shouldn't a 5 year old gpu be easy to shrink down immensely? Conceivably couldn't the 2-3x power Nintendo originally hinted at refer to perhaps 2 or 3 flippers?

GwymWeepa said:
What are the odds of Wii having more than one gpu core? I mean, with the die-cast shrink, shouldn't a 5 year old gpu be easy to shrink down immensely? Conceivably couldn't the 2-3x power Nintendo originally hinted at refer to perhaps 2 or 3 flippers?

Cant see a good reason for that, they do that on PC side becase they cant put more power in one GPU or marketing/upgrading reasonm not valid for a console.

GwymWeepa said:

slim to none, and slim just left town. really there is no chance. even highpowered HDTV supporting consoles Xbox360 and PS3 don't have more than one GPU core.

even though the Flipper technology is 6 years old now, does not mean they'd have 2 or 3 Flippers in Wii

however if you believe the interview, the Unisoft guy mentioned double the number of pixels pipelines. Also, some have speculated that may also include double the number of TEV units (Flipper's TMU/pixelshader).
so right there, along with 8 MB of eDRAM, that's like "2 Flippers" plus any possible new stuff added feature-wise (nurbs, displacement-mapping, HDR, better anti-aliasing, etc) but then that's all still just. speculation.

since Hollywood is a single chip, of course Nintendo will not have dual GPUs.

the question is, will Hollywood have one "quad" or two "quads", referring to the way modern ATI and Nvidia GPUs are configured. (i.e. quads of vertex shaders, pixel shaders, texture units, ROPs)

Last edited by a moderator:
How large will Hollywood be in terms of size do you folks expect? Couldn't Broadway and Hollywood fit on one die if they are significantly smaller than GC's chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back